Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-16-2018, 06:53 PM   #15
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Sure, you can go out there Off: Off and pretend "you got this". The probability is however, you don't, and one of the excellently tailored PTM modes will not only help you safely explore the cars limits, it'll also help you drive the car home in one piece at the end of the day.
This entire response is really well put and I completely agree. But this last statement is super important. This is a $60K plus car that you're throwing around a race course. Unless you're prepared to tow it home as a total loss, then leave the nannies on for a while, maybe for a long while. You only need to search YouTube for "cars and coffee crashes" to see what this much power in a rear wheel drive car can do and just how quickly it can get out of your control. I generally run Sport 1 and I've had this car at the track quite a few times. I have a good friend with a Z06 and he's a WAY more advanced and skilled driver than me. He never runs above Sport 2 yet.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:38 PM   #16
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
the HP of these cars will make you do stupid things. In cars with less torque, you can get away with sloppy throttle inputs. So, use the PTM as GM has done a lot a research and development to make the car perform admirably and the PTM will not slow you down. Use Sport 1 as Stabilitrak and Traction control are there to save your butt. Sport 2 will allow more sliding (no stabilitrak) and will keep you semi in check as well. Do not turn off everything like a drag racing scenario...I promise you will like the way PTM Sport 1 & Sport 2 allow for freedom and great fun. Be safe and enjoy this beast!
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:36 PM   #17
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 18' ZL1 A10
I have done a full tank before at Laguna Seca it took exactly 41 minutes. Can only imagine how quick it would go with more power and/or E85.
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:38 PM   #18
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 18' ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector 17 View Post
This entire response is really well put and I completely agree. But this last statement is super important. This is a $60K plus car that you're throwing around a race course. Unless you're prepared to tow it home as a total loss, then leave the nannies on for a while, maybe for a long while. You only need to search YouTube for "cars and coffee crashes" to see what this much power in a rear wheel drive car can do and just how quickly it can get out of your control. I generally run Sport 1 and I've had this car at the track quite a few times. I have a good friend with a Z06 and he's a WAY more advanced and skilled driver than me. He never runs above Sport 2 yet.
Or just get track day insurance and drive it as hard as your heart desires!
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:58 PM   #19
Akura

Drives: ´18 ZL1 A10 Red Hot 😍
Thank you vey much guys for all the answers! Happy to see the car is in perfect condition

Akura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:25 PM   #20
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Every driver needs to assess their own skill/speed ratio, but most drivers should be in Sport 1 or PTM Race after 5-8 track days. Sport 2 is just slightly more invasive traction control than Race (Stabilitrak is disabled in both modes). I don't recommend all off, since the PTM Race should make you faster. There is a difference between Stabilitrak enabled modes and PTM only modes (Sport 2 and Race).

Glad you've been doing it for decades, but that doesn't mean that it takes decades to get up there.

There is no black and white answer and a trip off course can be extremely expensive even with track insurance. Know your limits and keep it on level 8/10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
The short versions is: It depends. Like most nuanced answers, it's never a black and white answer. The more advanced you get, the less the driver should need to rely on the TCS and ESC as backup safeties. The smoother line you can take without having the TCS or ESC correct your mistakes, the better driver you'll become as you let PTM loosen the reigns.

If the track is dry, start with Track: Dry. Once you think you're being held back by the car through the corners, then click down to Sport 1. Don't pretend the straightaway is where you'll win the day, and please let that Spec Miata pass, he's taking a better line than you. Learn from the wise ones. Rinse & repeat. Years down the road, and I do mean years, and some good instructors along the way, you'll be able to take advantage of the car in Track: Race, and eventually Track: Off:Off. That's for when you're chasing those final tenths, not still trying to figure out if your alignment is right with no pyrometer in your pit box.

The worst are the cocky self-proclaimed hero drivers that think they can sign up for the advanced group their first time out. It's a disservice to those of us that have been out there trying to do it right for decades, and it's a disservice to the n00b diving in way over his head with no proper skill foundation.

Sure, you can go out there Off: Off and pretend "you got this". The probability is however, you don't, and one of the excellently tailored PTM modes will not only help you safely explore the cars limits, it'll also help you drive the car home in one piece at the end of the day.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:34 AM   #21
Michael2000

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent K View Post
First, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I do have a question for those who track their ZL1s.

Do you turn off all the safety nannies?

I recently started turning off my safety nannies when I weekend drive mines in dry conditions. And I can get the back end to break loose at will. While this is fun at times it's also scary. I quickly realized these cars need to be on a track in order to safely explore it's limits. That being said, I'm going to leave the safety nannies on while street driving. Just curious to know if it's better to leave them on all the time including on the track.

BTW, I'll be starting my go-mods shortly so more power.

I don't have a ZL1, but I turn them off on any car I drive. Why? Because I don't want them getting in the way, and I want to learn to the limits of the car and recover if I it gets a little loose. Having said that, even if I happen to leave them on, it is rare for them to intervene on today's cars if you are driving smoothly. Don't try to run the fastest laps. Try to run the smoothest laps, and you find those laps are automatically faster and safer.
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote