Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 04-09-2021, 03:05 PM   #1
beworthy3

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
AutoX in the rain

Any insight on running autox in the rain? Its my first ever event and its on the only day in the range of like 2 weeks when its going to rain. Guy who runs the event said the rain helps understand the car better. I will run at the event but was just wondering if anybody has any info to offer on their own autox experiences in the rain.
beworthy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:48 AM   #2
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
The guy running the event is right. Doing events in the rain is the fastest way to learn the limits of your car and how to control the car at those limits.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:53 AM   #3
Silent_H_

Drives: '21 V6 1LE
What Tim said: this is a great opportunity to learn the limits of your car in a safe manner! The beauty of AutoX is that usually the worst thing that will happen is you hit a cone or two with your car. Speeds should be low enough not to cause any damage to anything. Long ago I learned about traction control the hard way after spinning my dad's 2000 Boxter S on a wet AutoX course. It was fine until it wasn't (maybe without traction control it would have been more gradual, maybe not). I didn't even hit any cones, but it wouldn't have damaged anything if I had.

Enjoy! I hope to get to race in the rain with my Camaro some day to speed up my learning curve.
Silent_H_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:47 AM   #4
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Watch out for understeer!

I have not done an event in the rain yet but in the cold the car just won't turn until it's going much slower than you might like, lol.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:00 AM   #5
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
And FYI - you will come away from the event with an even greater appreciation for the SC3's. They are stellar in the wet.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:55 PM   #6
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
And FYI - you will come away from the event with an even greater appreciation for the SC3's. They are stellar in the wet.
Holy F I'm hydroplaning

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:51 AM   #7
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
That sucks!!! Sure you'll better understand the limits of your car, blah, blah, blah, I get it. BUT this is your first time out. You want to get out and hammer on your car in a safe, legal venue and a wet parking lot will be a lot slower. On the upside you'll feel real good about yourself and your car when you see the dramatic time and speed improvement next time out when the weather is decent.
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2021, 05:37 PM   #8
weemus

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Can’t say I’ve autocrossed this car in the rain but I’ve tracked it in rain. If it’s raining, heavy rain then the car is an absolute nightmare with SC3s. Couldn’t go over 70 mph and hydroplanning EVERYWHERE. Decided not worth wading up the car so been there done that. However if it wet/damp then the SC3 will surprise you in a good way. Autocross doesn’t have the speeds and barriers that a track has so it’s nearly risk free (there is always one curb or light pole to be mind full of during max attack). PS I won FTD in the rain once in my old wrx, only time I could beat up on everyone, lol.

So go and if it’s raining cats and dogs take it easy and push forward cautiously, not that you hit anything just spins are much more likely. If it’s wet and or damp once the tires are up to temp hammer on brother, hammer on.
weemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:38 PM   #9
beworthy3

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Thanks all for the advice, the event was this morning. I went and it was quite the fun experience. Was torrential rain early but evened out as the day went on. Heavy puddles early that slowly went away. Car definitely didn't enjoy the weather but it managed very well for me. Glad I went. Learned a lot about how the car acts when its upset. Should be an absolute blast in the dry!
beworthy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:24 AM   #10
Silent_H_

Drives: '21 V6 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by beworthy3 View Post
Thanks all for the advice, the event was this morning. I went and it was quite the fun experience. Was torrential rain early but evened out as the day went on. Heavy puddles early that slowly went away. Car definitely didn't enjoy the weather but it managed very well for me. Glad I went. Learned a lot about how the car acts when its upset. Should be an absolute blast in the dry!
Glad you had a good day!
Silent_H_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:22 PM   #11
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Autocrossing in the rain is not going to help you learn much about how your car will be in the dry, IME. The dynamics are just way too different, especially if there is standing water. But it's good experience nonetheless, and you need to be able to do it if you plan to get serious because most events go right ahead in the rain. The problem with the SC3s in the rain is that they never get hot, and they want some heat to generate their best grip. They aren't dangerous, but there are far better tires for rain (Michelin PS4 and Continental EC Sports in particular). The car is a blast in the dry, for sure. Get out there and keep doing it!