Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 03-09-2021, 10:51 AM   #29
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2018SS1LE View Post
OK maybe not a wise man, but you are observant!

All valid points, I think I am probably going to run stock wheels, with stickier tires. I think GM spent a fortune making this car handle the way it does, running the 285s in front and 305s in the rear. There must have been a reason for them to stagger between F and R, if a square set up was better, Im sure they would have put 305s all around

I agree that the 3s are an amazing tire, I might even consider, using Apex 19s,with 305s in front and 325s in rear using regular 3s and not Rs, this will give durability, plus more rubber on the ground. I saw a guy a PBIR, running this set up and he loved it, he was pretty fast, and it was his DD

Thank you for all your advice, you are very knowledgeable, about these cars

I will see how the GS stands up against the 1LE.
Last September I took my 1LE to Limerock with stock camber, and I ran a 102:5, car understeered pretty bad with stock camber (as your can hear in attached video) but I still lapped field, on the last lap I passed a GT350, 50 yards before the checkered. He was running the correct lines until he saw me coming up on him really fast, then he was all over the place. Ck out video, had a lot of fun, I love Limerock

https://youtu.be/pW5-wPUYywE

I am going to try the GS with stock run flats, then change over to R88Rs. Im curious what times I can run, I am going to run the track alignment though. The GS weighs 500lbs less than the 1LE has 30 less HP but def feels more nimble and neutral

Thx for your input
Great vid, nice driving. See damn close to 1min flat with fresh tires and alignment

Personally i think 305 is enough tire for the car. And again, everyone here raves about 305x19 square on G3Rs for pace.
Seems it achieves nice balance given 22 ET all around pretty much accomplishes the stock track width ratio for balance when one accounts for a small spacer up front. Basically this set up does 4 things imo:

1) G3R offers major step up grip and pace wise
2) 22 ET square allows for much better tire longevity
3) 305/19 rear offers a nice benefit of lower gearing
4) 4x305/19s fit inside the car (bonus)

Careful when taking others advice as many folks with different wheel ETs end up switching up sway bars to dial the balance back, etc. But no first hand experience here and clearly there are multiple choices present.

Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:26 PM   #30
CC2018SS1LE

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ss 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Great vid, nice driving. See damn close to 1min flat with fresh tires and alignment

Personally i think 305 is enough tire for the car. And again, everyone here raves about 305x19 square on G3Rs for pace.
Seems it achieves nice balance given 22 ET all around pretty much accomplishes the stock track width ratio for balance when one accounts for a small spacer up front. Basically this set up does 4 things imo:

Careful when taking others advice as many folks with different wheel ETs end up switching up sway bars to dial the balance back, etc. But no first hand experience here and clearly there are multiple choices present.

Cheers!
Thank you, was a fun drive, but I ripped apart my left front tire.

Once again, thank you for your advice

For now I’m just going to put on my new 3s, and go have some fun

I’ll decide after I kill these tires

Do you ever go to the Glen, maybe I’ll see you there

I have not tracked a car there in 20 years, but remember it being a great track

Have a good one
CC2018SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:00 PM   #31
TrackClub

Quote:
Thank you, was a fun drive, but I ripped apart my left front tire.

Once again, thank you for your advice

For now I’m just going to put on my new 3s, and go have some fun

I’ll decide after I kill these tires

Do you ever go to the Glen, maybe I’ll see you there

I have not tracked a car there in 20 years, but remember it being a great track

Have a good one
Sounds like a plan and frankly you cannot go wrong with any of the options discussed thus far, incl first putting G3Rs on stock rims to get a taste of them, etc, etc. Albeit, ive kept my car stock on purpose and love it this way!

Yes i do go to the Glen, albeit haven't been past 2 yrs. New pavement makes it a faster venue now. Love that track and back home have his smaller brother from the same era: Mosport.
They don't build them like they used to...

Cheers and all the best!
Old 03-10-2021, 07:54 AM   #32
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
I have been looking into 20in 3Rs and also Looked at Apex 19in wheels using ZL 1LE 19in tire set up

Thant is my next upgrade.
I have a brand new set of 3s, already, once they are gone, Im buying better tires, even considering R88Rs

I agree about the car being amazing, I have never came across a GT350, that I could not pass, even if they use racing tires.
It is no doubt the best bang for the buck, of any street/ track car, evet at 2 to 3 Xs the price.
My 1LE is my Florida track car and in NY I have a C6 Grand sport with R88Rs
A very nimble car compared to the 1LE, but I still think the 1 LE is faster, Its cornering ability and balance is nothing short of amazing, considering its almost 4,000 lbs with me in it.
I am very very interested in your C6GS vs 1LE comparo i think they will be very very close. I just got rid of my Callaway supercharged SS for a C6Z and will be comparing them this year.
TC is right that the R888Rs don't get much love on the Camaro, but I have seen many vette guys running them and on that forum they are liked, so it must be the weight difference.

Quote:
C6 GS is a slower car for sure, unless modded. I am on par with well driven C6 Z06 even on a high horsepower track like Mosport. Heck, i am pretty much even with a well driven C7 GS and can keep up with some C7 Z06s (but that takes a lot of work in the corners). All in instructor/solo run groups, so skill is upper shelf albeit it can vary - obviously.

Not much love for 888Rs on a Camaro here and by all accounts they dont seem to be any faster then G3s. But, tires are a personal preference. I love G3 characteristics in terms of ability to feel the grip, predictability, how they communicate at the limit and overall grip levels. GY tread rating is a joke imo and a huge sandbag. Ditto G3R...

Btw i retire mine after about 6-7 days plus some mild dd and to/from travel. By then they dont qualify for any wet weather, albeit still perform pretty well.

G3RS are a different level altogether. By many accounts going 305 square is the ticket it seems, otherwise F last about 3 days.
Ive run a square 295 RE71R set up on stock rims and couldn't go any faster than on G3s. The balance was very similar to 285/305 stockers except for very high speed mid corners where R grip was a wee bit less. But the overall balance was the same. Likely, because a square set up lowers the rake and introduces some degree of more stability to offset lack of staggered rubber. While fatter F rubber pays dividends under braking. Most here easily get 2-3 secs over G3s with a square 305 G3R set up, while saving considerable money by rotating R to F. Just something to consider, but obviously 305/325 will work too. But, if ya go for that set up, take a close look at Apex offsets, as ZLE (and ZL1) have different ones from an SS incl different stock F vs R track widths by design. So think stock balance re track width specs, likely bigger spacers, etc.
Not so sure that the C6 GS is a slower car there buddy I'm pretty sure your driving is doing the talking because a C7 GS is undoubtedly better than a 1LE. I once passed a C7Z06 in my Hellcat on track

I'm so excited for my comparison this season and I even picked up a set of used stock Z06 wheels with G3s on them so my comparison is on equal tires. Sizes are different obviously, but both are "stock" for the car sizes. Giving my SS the 1LE tire size allowance of course. I definitely love this tire tho I have a full set of 305 3Rs in my basement that were set to be run square on my Camaro and will now be front runners on the vette in my "lets set some PBs" tire setup for fun when I'm not TTing on 200TW. Agree with 3R being 2-3 seconds faster pace.

Quote:

Cheers!
Spot on!

Quote:
Sounds like a plan and frankly you cannot go wrong with any of the options discussed thus far, incl first putting G3Rs on stock rims to get a taste of them, etc, etc. Albeit, ive kept my car stock on purpose and love it this way!

Yes i do go to the Glen, albeit haven't been past 2 yrs. New pavement makes it a faster venue now. Love that track and back home have his smaller brother from the same era: Mosport.

Cheers and all the best!
Maybe we can all meet up at the Glen sometime this year!
Old 03-10-2021, 09:09 AM   #33
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
I am very very interested in your C6GS vs 1LE comparo i think they will be very very close. I just got rid of my Callaway supercharged SS for a C6Z and will be comparing them this year.
TC is right that the R888Rs don't get much love on the Camaro, but I have seen many vette guys running them and on that forum they are liked, so it must be the weight difference.

Not so sure that the C6 GS is a slower car there buddy I'm pretty sure your driving is doing the talking because a C7 GS is undoubtedly better than a 1LE. I once passed a C7Z06 in my Hellcat on track

I'm so excited for my comparison this season and I even picked up a set of used stock Z06 wheels with G3s on them so my comparison is on equal tires. Sizes are different obviously, but both are "stock" for the car sizes. Giving my SS the 1LE tire size allowance of course. I definitely love this tire tho I have a full set of 305 3Rs in my basement that were set to be run square on my Camaro and will now be front runners on the vette in my "lets set some PBs" tire setup for fun when I'm not TTing on 200TW. Agree with 3R being 2-3 seconds faster pace.

Spot on!

Maybe we can all meet up at the Glen sometime this year!
Great to see you're still on the Forum!!!

There is no doubt whatsoever, that C6 GS is a slower car stock for stock. Now, headers sure wake up a Vette and a cam takes it to another level...

Agree C7 GS is a faster car. But it is a more difficult car to push, so a driver will make a big difference here.
So will the tires (as in stock vs Cup2s, etc).

C7 Z06 is another level up (until it overheats).

Just to bring a current Vette into the comparo: even Randy couldn't make C8 Z51 go faster than SS 1LE at Laguna. Surprise, surprise...that 1LE is quite a machine, eh? Sure, the C8 is on different tires (another kudo for G3s here!), but still...stock for stock...for so much LE$$! Amazing!

Obviously a new E-Ray and Z06 will be at another level altogether.

Getting together at the Glen would be fantastic, but i dont think our borders will open up this year. Hoping next year we will be back to "normal" (sort of?).

Regardless, please keep us all updated on your C6Z! It is still an amazing track weapon, even after all those years! Nice and light, good power and big shoes. What's there not to like, eh?

Cheers and all the best!

EDIT:
Benefit #5 for square 305s: more F rubber for braking.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:48 AM   #34
TheRealJA105

Quote:
Great to see you're still on the Forum!!!

There is no doubt whatsoever, that C6 GS is a slower car stock for stock. Now, headers sure wake up a Vette and a cam takes it to another level...

Agree C7 GS is a faster car. But it is a more difficult car to push, so a driver will make a big difference here.
So will the tires (as in stock vs Cup2s, etc).

C7 Z06 is another level up (until it overheats).

Just to bring a current Vette into the comparo: even Randy couldn't make C8 Z51 go faster than SS 1LE at Laguna. Surprise, surprise...that 1LE is quite a machine, eh? Sure, the C8 is on different tires (another kudo for G3s here!), but still...stock for stock...for so much LE$$! Amazing!

Obviously a new E-Ray and Z06 will be at another level altogether.

Getting together at the Glen would be fantastic, but i dont think our borders will open up this year. Hoping next year we will be back to "normal" (sort of?).

Regardless, please keep us all updated on your C6Z! It is still an amazing track weapon, even after all those years! Nice and light, good power and big shoes. What's there not to like, eh?

Cheers and all the best!

EDIT:
Benefit #5 for square 305s: more F rubber for braking.
Still not buying it on the C6GS on G3s. Rubber has come a long way in recent years (you know it) and on paper the acceleration and braking are almost identical on the 2 cars and the GS is 400lbs lighter.

You sure as hell can't track a C6 with a warranty though haha

Guess I haven't seen Randy's test with the C8 at Laguna, i'll have to look it up.

My biggest point is, you guessed it, TIRES TIRES TIRES!
Old 03-10-2021, 10:56 AM   #35
CC2018SS1LE

Quote:

Cheers and all the best!
I’ll let you know when I’m going to the Glen, see if you can make it

BTW no sport is on my to do bucket list, beautiful fast track
Old 03-10-2021, 11:00 AM   #36
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Still not buying it on the C6GS on G3s. Rubber has come a long way in recent years (you know it) and on paper the acceleration and braking are almost identical on the 2 cars and the GS is 400lbs lighter.

You sure as hell can't track a C6 with a warranty though haha

Guess I haven't seen Randy's test with the C8 at Laguna, i'll have to look it up.

My biggest point is, you guessed it, TIRES TIRES TIRES!
Love a good armchair discussion C6 GS is lighter, but Camaro has magic Alpha chassis and its LT1 is much, much stronger. Heck, Big Al made sure it is stronger than the same block in a C7! Anyhow, all of these cars are super cars imo. But given its price to performance, SS 1LE is the most special one in my book bar nothing else on the market.

Ya, Randy’s run in a C8 didn't really surprise me that much, given what some track rat YouTubers are posting as lap times even on Cup2s vs stockers.

And ya, you know what i value as the best mod bar none: TIRES, TIRES,TIRES! Well, second only to a driver mod )
Old 03-10-2021, 11:02 AM   #37
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i want to drop down to 19s this year but trying to figure out if i want to do a square setup or staggered

was going to order some new fresh goodyear 3s but saw a deal on facebook local to me of a guy selling 6 used ones for 100$ each so might as well do it lol
Old 03-10-2021, 11:09 AM   #38
TrackClub

Quote:
I’ll let you know when I’m going to the Glen, see if you can make it

BTW no sport is on my to do bucket list, beautiful fast track
Super x2! Many improvements have been done at Mosport in recent years. And we've been blessed to get Nascar trucks running here (holy moly those guys can wheel!!!), in addition to IMSA and other series.
The fastest track in North America. Beautiful flow and high commitment sweepers. Defo recommended it. Lemme know and i can help with orgs and logistics. BTW Not a place ya wanna run with some yahoos...
Old 03-10-2021, 11:29 AM   #39
CC2018SS1LE

Quote:
Super x2! Many improvements have been done at Mosport in recent years. And we've been blessed to get Nascar trucks running here (holy moly those guys can wheel!!!), in addition to IMSA and other series.
The fastest track in North America. Beautiful flow and high commitment sweepers. Defo recommended it. Lemme know and i can help with orgs and logistics. BTW Not a place ya wanna run with some yahoos...
This year I’m all booked up, between Florida and running in Northeast. But next year will be doable
I’ll take you up on that offer
Definitely do not want to run with yahoo’s, at a fast ass track, like Mosport
Old 03-10-2021, 11:38 AM   #40
TheRealJA105

Quote:
Love a good armchair discussion C6 GS is lighter, but Camaro has magic Alpha chassis and its LT1 is much, much stronger. Heck, Big Al made sure it is stronger than the same block in a C7! Anyhow, all of these cars are super cars imo. But given its price to performance, SS 1LE is the most special one in my book bar nothing else on the market.

Ya, Randy’s run in a C8 didn't really surprise me that much, given what some track rat YouTubers are posting as lap times even on Cup2s vs stockers.

And ya, you know what i value as the best mod bar none: TIRES, TIRES,TIRES! Well, second only to a driver mod )
Yes Alpha is magic but not a chance in hell that the LT1 is a stronger motor than the LS3. If you just mean more power stock well that's obvious given the numbers but the hp/weight ratio still favors the GS. My stock LT1 pistons that broke the ring lands would like to have a discussion with you on strength. LS3s take boost and any modifications so much better than LT1s, which may just come down to the DI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i want to drop down to 19s this year but trying to figure out if i want to do a square setup or staggered

was going to order some new fresh goodyear 3s but saw a deal on facebook local to me of a guy selling 6 used ones for 100$ each so might as well do it lol
Very difficult decision when factoring cost! Best performance would have to be 11/12 staggered 19s with 305/325, but the 10.5 square rotatable is pretty awesome performance and cost wise. Food for thought, I was considering 20x10.5 square and the old stock 305 G3s makes for awfully cheap tires!

Good deal on those used tires. I wish someone would buy those 285/35/20 G3Rs i have for $50 each!
Old 03-10-2021, 11:54 AM   #41
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i still have a 2753020 michelin ps4s with like 2 track days for sale for $100 paid almost $400 for it when i curbed my wheel and blew out my tire at the car wash
Old 03-10-2021, 11:57 AM   #42
TrackClub

Quote:
This year I’m all booked up, between Florida and running in Northeast. But next year will be doable
I’ll take you up on that offer
Definitely do not want to run with yahoo’s, at a fast ass track, like Mosport
Sounds good! Have a blast this season! Cheers!