Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 02-20-2021, 07:55 AM   #15
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
I miss my WE4.

I had so many cars that I wished that I had not sold. 49 chev, 2 50 mercs, 56 Ford, 57 Chevy, 62 Grand Prix, 66 Healy, 67 Cuda, so when I bought the GN in 87 I decided not to sell it. I almost did several times but I resisted. Today I still own it. I think I will keep the 13 Camaro 2SS/RS as well. It is hard to make that decision when a car is still on the new side of its life, rather than approaching classic status.
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:19 AM   #16
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
How about 55 yrs ago! Bought (ordered by paper from Detroit) my first muscle car brand new '66 GTO. 6 mos later it was stolen, found but gutted for parts. Got a new '66 442 (tri-power). Back then almost every guy that didn't go to college or the guys that finished their service stint got a muscle car. Didn't really have car shows then, instead would have Sunday caravans if not at track. It was a great time ! Oh yeah, most mod parts had to be ordered via mail from a catalog ...then you wait n weeks for them with no tracking and maybe some instructions.

73 outside the car still 18 behind the wheel
camguynj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:20 PM   #17
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
How about 55 yrs ago! Bought (ordered by paper from Detroit) my first muscle car brand new '66 GTO. 6 mos later it was stolen, found but gutted for parts. Got a new '66 442 (tri-power). Back then almost every guy that didn't go to college or the guys that finished their service stint got a muscle car. Didn't really have car shows then, instead would have Sunday caravans if not at track. It was a great time ! Oh yeah, most mod parts had to be ordered via mail from a catalog ...then you wait n weeks for them with no tracking and maybe some instructions.

73 outside the car still 18 behind the wheel
Old 02-20-2021, 07:04 PM   #18
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Similar story to camguynj...
October of 1968 I bought my 1969 Roadrunner. 383 4-spd, silver with a black vinyl top, factory mags, red-line Goodyear tires (which I burned off in 2 months!). I was in between tours to Viet Nam, and drove it back to California (from NE) via (part of) Route 66.
I remember when my Dad took me down to pick it up... It was all cleaned up, idling in the sun. If anyone remembers how the heat risers would clink while idling, it sounded great. Just a little bit of a lope that made it sound pretty bad, for the times. Good memories for sure! Sure wish I would have kept that car :-(
Old 02-20-2021, 07:10 PM   #19
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
I bought a 1998 C5 vert new. Maybe not "muscle" but still treated it like one

We drove the wheels off of it. Lived in MD drove it all over the east coast/semi deep into the west. Freaking blast.

Traded it for a stroller
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:36 AM   #20
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
I don't know of anything that had any real HP 30 years ago in 1991. The C4's sucked with no HP and was before the oil leaking LT1's came out. Stangs did not have much HP as well. Not until the C6 came out with the LS2 in 04 did any car start to have more power. There was also the C4 with the 400hp LT5 in the 90's and that is all i can think of. Well i guess the Viper in the 90's was over 400hp.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:44 AM   #21
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMyBoy View Post
Similar story to camguynj...
October of 1968 I bought my 1969 Roadrunner. 383 4-spd, silver with a black vinyl top, factory mags, red-line Goodyear tires (which I burned off in 2 months!). I was in between tours to Viet Nam, and drove it back to California (from NE) via (part of) Route 66.
I remember when my Dad took me down to pick it up... It was all cleaned up, idling in the sun. If anyone remembers how the heat risers would clink while idling, it sounded great. Just a little bit of a lope that made it sound pretty bad, for the times. Good memories for sure! Sure wish I would have kept that car :-(

This story reminded me where I bought my 87 Grand National. For some reason it was at the 1987 Seattle International Auto Show. I don't recall if there was a Grand National there but I do recall that I met with the sales rep, I must have either given him money or signed for the purchase because as I was leaving the show an announcement on the PA was sure to let all in attendance that I had just purchased the car. I later picked the car up at a Datsun dealership. nad now I wonder if my original intent was to buy a 87 240Z and they somehow get me directed into the Grand National, and they weren't even a Buick dealer! That's a good salesman.
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:07 PM   #22
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLT1 View Post
I don't know of anything that had any real HP 30 years ago in 1991. The C4's sucked with no HP and was before the oil leaking LT1's came out. Stangs did not have much HP as well. Not until the C6 came out with the LS2 in 04 did any car start to have more power. There was also the C4 with the 400hp LT5 in the 90's and that is all i can think of. Well i guess the Viper in the 90's was over 400hp.
C5 Z06? That is still a monster
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:24 PM   #23
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
In about 1992 I bought a 1988 Iroc-Z 1LE off a friend of mine. Yeah look that up. Super rare and I did not have a clue how rare until long after I sold it. Anyhow, the car was mint but driven super hard it’s entire life until I sold it. The car loved being driven at 240km/h. Loved it. And I’m not talking for a few miles. Think about driving that fast for about 70kms.
I bought the car for 9000. What a steal it was. It still looked brand new when I sold it and it had about 80000kms on it. It ran 14.5 in the quarter at 99mph with consistent terrible 2.2s 2.3 sixty foots.
While I had the Iroc, my cousin had bought a 1980 Z28 off another guy we knew. It was in a field but was in pretty solid shape. It had some head work, cam, intake, headers and exhaust. Friggin car was way faster than the Iroc. Not top speed though. I bought the car off my cousin for $600. Fastest car I ever bought for the price. I never did license it under my name. My brother and I would bolt other plates on and take it street racing. It was fast.
The crap I did growing up makes me shake my head and wonder how we aren’t dead.
Mind you the stuff I still do........ummm
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:27 PM   #24
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
The C5 with the LS engines were a big game changer for power and efficiency. I worked for GM at the time. Helped with a rebuild of a customers LT5 out of his ZR1 but I will say the C5 Z06 was to me a lot more impressive than that C4 ZR1. I have driven both models quite a bit.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:47 PM   #25
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
C5 Z06? That is still a monster
But that was much later than 1991. C4's had nothing back in 1991.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:12 PM   #26
Paintslinger16
Two Lane Blacktop

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS
Early Fall of ‘85 in Northern NY spotted a 1966 Chevelle SS 396 with black California plates. It was out behind a house unmowed grass around it. I knocked with no answer, my mom worked a major bank and I knew she had a city directory on her desk, you could look up residence if you knew the address or phone or name. Manual google of its day.
The nice old lady said it was her sons who lived with his GF on other end of town. I cold called and he said he just got out of the AF stationed in California and also bought back a 70 Monte Carlo that he would sell but the Chevelle wasn’t for sale.
I told him, I had 1500 cash and only wanted the Chevelle, the engine numbers matched but the original power glide was now a Muncie 4 speed.
He called me back the next day and said the GF said sell it. I drove it home on his plates later that night. It took most of the winter months to get all the California paperwork transferred to NY
Paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote