Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-12-2020, 10:01 PM   #1
daniel g
72 years young

Drives: 2015 Cpe 2LT A6
Sport Mode/Tap Shift/Traction Control/Stabilitrak

'M' (Sport Mode) and 'M' (Tap Shift)...........Traction Control and Stabilitrak

What the manual says......

"With the shift lever in M(Manual Mode) position, and without using the Tap Shift controls on the steering wheel, vehicles with any axle other than GW8 will be in Sport Mode. Sport Mode provides firmer, quicker shifting. The transmission will shift automatically until the Tap Shift controls are used."

"While driving in Sport Mode, if Tap Shift has not been activated, the transmission determines when the vehicle is being driven in a competitive manner. The transmission may remain in a gear longer than it would in the normal driving mode based on throttle input and vehicle lateral acceleration. If there is a rapid reduction in throttle from a heavy throttle position, the transmission will maintain the current gear up to near redline rpm. While braking, the transmission will automatically downshift to the next lower gear keeping engine speed above approximately 3000 rpm. If the vehicle is then driven for a short time at a steady speed, and without high cornering loads, the transmission will up-shift one gear at a time, until 6 (Sixth) gear. After shifting to 6 (Sixth) gear, or coming to a complete stop, the transmission will return to normal Sport Mode shifting"

Notes, Discovery, Options......

The A6 (Automatic 6 speed) has 3 shifting modes. 'D' for normal driving, 'M' for sport driving and 'M' paddle 'tap shift' for manual shift control.

There’s no real need to ever use your paddle shifters, but you may want to. Paddle shifters are great for track use, not so much on the street. They are annoying in stop and go traffic, and have no real point driving in a straight line.

When shifting into the 'M' position you will notice that initially on the display it will show 'S'. This is the Sport mode and will actually only go into 'M' mode after the paddle shift has been used. So you can drive in the traditional 'D' mode of automatic, shift into 'M' mode with the shift lever, which initially is 'S' mode for sport, or use the paddle shifter to initiate 'M' or manual mode.

Sport Mode just changes when the transmission will decide to shift. In regular mode the car is aiming for maximum MPG so it'll keep the RPMs down and shift sooner. In sport mode it'll let those RPMs climb before shifting. It'll also hold the current gear for longer when braking so that when you speed up again you don't have to wait for the transmission to shift to get power. The transmission temperature is noticeably higher.

You can shift into 'M' (Sport Mode) and back into 'D' anytime while driving. Tap the paddles in 'D' and the car will go into manual mode, however it will dump itself back into 'D' after a short spell of you not touching the paddles or when you come to a stop. So you can downshift to pass while in 'D' and then it will shift itself back to 'D' shortly after.

In 'M' (Sport Mode), if you press and hold the traction control button for the proper length of time that will turn off Traction Conyrol and Stabilitrak, putting the car in a competition mode. It will reset when you restart your car...or you can hit the button again to turn them back on.

1. To turn off only TCS, press and release the button. The traction off light displays in the instrument cluster.
2. To turn TCS on again, press and release the button. The traction off light displayed in the instrument cluster will turn off. If TCS is limiting wheel spin when the button is pressed, the system will not turn off until the wheels stop spinning.
3. To turn off both TCS and StabiliTrak, press and hold the button until the traction off light and StabiliTrak OFF light come on and stay on in the instrument cluster.
4. To turn TCS and StabiliTrak on again, press and release the button. The traction off light and StabiliTrak OFF light in the instrument cluster turn off.

'M' mode doesn't mean you have to manually paddle shift. Shifting to the 'M' position simply activates Sport mode for more aggressive automatic shifting patterns. The car senses you getting more aggressive with your driving and starts to hold gears longer etc. The car is much more responsive in Sport mode, holding the shifts to higher rpm's.

Put it in 'M' and use the paddle shifters to up shift then let the car down shift on its own, only paddle up shifting as needed.

You can also tap up as well to enter Manual Mode from Sport Mode... Though you must tap down to get to first at a stop as the car will only downshift to 2nd on its own.

'M' isn't so much a gear, as it is a shift program. It's really just an electronic map that tells the car to hold the shifts longer to give it a more sporty feel.

'D' will provide the best blend of performance and fuel economy. That said, fuel economy is a factor, so there's some performance left on the table.

Temporary Tap Shift Mode allows brief entry into Tap Shift Mode while in 'D' (Drive). Tapping either the up shift or downshift control will place the transmission in manual
Tap Shift Mode. To Exit Tap Shift Mode: hold the upshift paddle control for two seconds, or the system will return to automatic shifting after ten seconds of driving at a steady speed, or when the vehicle comes to a stop.

As far as correct usage of 'tap shift' -- If you're accustomed to driving a manual trans, you can mimic some of the things about driving a manual trans car, i.e. downshifting to put the car in an RPM range for good torque as you enter and move through a curve, or coming down a gear in preparation to make a pass.

You can also hold a gear so that the car doesn't gear-hunt when going up a steep mountain pass, or a freeway with gradual elevation changes. On the reverse side, if you're coming down a steep mountain pass, you can downshift a gear for some engine braking.

If you want to drive aggressively you'll want to wait until the rpms get into the higher range before you paddle 'tap shift'...just try to shift before the rpms hit red line.

Otherwise, if you just want to drive normally you'll want to paddle 'tap shift' much lower in the rpm range...somewhere in the 2K - 3K range.

Use the HUD rpm displays to monitor shifting.

The shift timing lights at the top of the display will appear with increases in engine rpm. As you approach a shift point, the rows of lights grow closer together. The transmission should be shifted before the lights come together in the middle of the display. If the lights begin flashing, you have exceeded the shift point. Shift immediately.

The transmission will only allow you to shift into gears appropriate for the vehicle speed and engine revolutions per minute (rpm). The transmission will not automatically shift to the next higher gear if the engine rpm is too high. If shifting is prevented for any reason, the message SHIFT DENIED will appear in the DIC, indicating that the transmission has not shifted gears. While in the Tap Shift mode, the transmission will not automatically downshift on hard acceleration.

DRIVING and OPERATION

In 'M' (Sport Mode) the transmission will shift as an automatic until the paddle 'Tap Shift' controls are used. 'Tap Shift' activates driver manual gear selection.

While driving in 'M' (Sport Mode), if 'Tap Shift' has not been paddle activated, the transmission determines when the vehicle is being driven in a competitive manner. It selects and holds the transmission in lower gears and has more noticeable upshifts for sportier vehicle performance.

'Tap Shift' allows the driver to manually control the automatic transmission. To use 'Tap Shift', the shift lever must be in 'M' (Sport Mode) and paddle activated. Vehicles with this feature have indicators on the steering wheel. The controls are on the back of the steering wheel.

Tap the left control to downshift, and the right control to upshift. A Driver Information Center (DIC) message indicates the gear the vehicle is in.

Once you hit either 'tap shift' paddle, it will display 'M' in the lower left corner of the DIC and there will be a number ('M1', 'M2', 'M3', etc) indicating which gear the tranny is in. You can switch back to Sport mode (automatic shifting) by holding the up shift tap lever for a few seconds.

While using the 'Tap Shift' feature, the vehicle will have firmer, quicker shifting for increased performance. The driver may use this for sport driving or when climbing or descending hills, to stay in gear longer, or to downshift for more power or engine braking.

The computer will not let you damage the car, it will over ride anything you try to do wrong. If you try to downshift at an RPM that would be damaging, it won't let you do it.

Last edited by daniel g; 11-14-2020 at 11:23 AM.
daniel g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:09 PM   #2
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
I only knew about half of this and only discovered that half by either accident or experimentation. Your detailed explanation is going to make driving my car much more fun. Thanks for taking the time to explain these features.
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:42 AM   #3
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
I almost always just drive mine in Sport mode; I haven’t seen much difference in MPG and it’s overall a better / more responsive shift pattern.

I haven’t found much use with the paddle shifters in street driving. Maybe if you wanted to absolutely bust a— on a twisty country road you could toggle between M1 and M2 (which is good to about 75mph), but that’s way more than what is really needed in any kind of responsible driving.

I remember when I test drove mine I accidentally got into manual mode with the paddles and had no idea how to get back out of it. I ended up turning the ignition off and back on before I did a little reading and learned more how they work.

p.s. If you have a 2015, you should have an LFX, not an LLT V6.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:16 AM   #4
Roamer63

Drives: 2014 camaro 2ss/rs
Wow! allot of info there. Thanks, good write up.
Roamer63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:39 AM   #5
daniel g
72 years young

KenKat...
You are correct. The engine is an LFX, as listed in the equipment group information.
2015 Camaro Cpe V6 Automatic 2LT Equipment Group
ENGINE, 3.6L SIDI DOHC V6 VVT (323 hp [240.8 kW] @ 6800 rpm, 278 lb-ft of
torque [375.3 N-m] @ 4800 rpm) (STD) (LFX)
This was a birthday present from my wife when I turned 70, the only muscle car I had not previously owned. One is never too old to own and drive a fun car.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:22 AM   #6
wasthatacop?

Drives: 2010 2SS
I think you're late to the party. We all know how the A6 works. It's 2020. I use mine every day for downshifting.
ZL1 factory rims
misc: drilled and slotted rotors, fresh air brake cooling system, new speakers, installed reverse camera, muffler delete
wasthatacop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:24 AM   #7
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel g View Post
KenKat...
You are correct. The engine is an LFX, as listed in the equipment group information.
2015 Camaro Cpe V6 Automatic 2LT Equipment Group
ENGINE, 3.6L SIDI DOHC V6 VVT (323 hp [240.8 kW] @ 6800 rpm, 278 lb-ft of
torque [375.3 N-m] @ 4800 rpm) (STD) (LFX)
This was a birthday present from my wife when I turned 70, the only muscle car I had not previously owned. One is never too old to own and drive a fun car.

I printed this informative and useful information and placed it into the glove box for the next owner's reference. That would be my son Little Ricky. I would not have known any of this had you not posted. I was using M1 but thought it was used in conjunction with the paddle shifts. Did not know that it was stand alone operation. I am now using m1 daily. So I can downshift with the paddle and will I have to reset anything or will the transmission remain in "s"? Or do I have to reset?
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 11:18 AM   #8
daniel g
72 years young

This information is provided for all the "We all" who don't know how the A6 Tap Shift
works. If anyone can add any additional information or corrections, feel free to.

BuddyLee...
Temporary Tap Shift Mode allows brief entry into Tap Shift Mode while in 'D' (Drive).

Tapping either the up shift or downshift control will place the transmission in manual Tap Shift Mode.

To Exit Tap Shift Mode: hold the upshift paddle control for two seconds, or the system will return to automatic shifting after ten seconds of driving at a steady speed, or when the vehicle comes to a stop.

So you can tap downshift to pass while in 'D' and then it will shift itself back to 'D' shortly after.

Last edited by daniel g; 11-14-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:20 AM   #9
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I like the M6, it keeps it simple.
Attached Images

ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:27 AM   #10
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVMax View Post
I like the M6, it keeps it simple.
That shifter ball would make a great T-shirt!
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:54 AM   #11
brick59
Sucker Punch

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1, 2007 Silverado LTZ
Like this

https://www.amazon.com/COUNTY-PRISON.../dp/B07PJD3PP6
427 Dart SHP Pro LS Block, Callies Magnum Crank, Callies Ultra I Beam Rods, Diamond Pistons, AGP twin Turbos 6865, Mast heads, Cam Motion LLR cam, Morel tie bar lifters, Crower roller rockers, NW 103MM TB, ID2600 XDS, Fore Triple, DSX, E85, ARH Turbo Headers, Corsa, Jakes stage 5 4L80, Circle D, RPM Roll Bar, BMR, Carlyle Racing 15" conversion kit.
brick59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:06 AM   #12
brick59
Sucker Punch

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1, 2007 Silverado LTZ
And I like this one for the Mustang guys.

https://www.redbubble.com/i/t-shirt/...29901281.FB110
427 Dart SHP Pro LS Block, Callies Magnum Crank, Callies Ultra I Beam Rods, Diamond Pistons, AGP twin Turbos 6865, Mast heads, Cam Motion LLR cam, Morel tie bar lifters, Crower roller rockers, NW 103MM TB, ID2600 XDS, Fore Triple, DSX, E85, ARH Turbo Headers, Corsa, Jakes stage 5 4L80, Circle D, RPM Roll Bar, BMR, Carlyle Racing 15" conversion kit.
brick59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:21 AM   #13
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel g View Post
This information is provided for all the "We all" who don't know how the A6 Tap Shift
works. If anyone can add any additional information or corrections, feel free to.

BuddyLee...
Temporary Tap Shift Mode allows brief entry into Tap Shift Mode while in 'D' (Drive).

Tapping either the up shift or downshift control will place the transmission in manual Tap Shift Mode.

To Exit Tap Shift Mode: hold the upshift paddle control for two seconds, or the system will return to automatic shifting after ten seconds of driving at a steady speed, or when the vehicle comes to a stop.

So you can tap downshift to pass while in 'D' and then it will shift itself back to 'D' shortly after.

Not on the 10's you have to move the lever to Drive to get out of Manual Shift Mode

You shift to Sport mode your in Sport

You touch the Shift paddles to go to manual mode, your in manual mode

and does shift back to first in manual mode
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:21 AM   #14
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS

(Mustang shirt)
ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote