Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-03-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
Derrick06

Drives: 00 Nissan Altima, College Ride
Need help deciding V6 or V8....

Okay so I have done a lot of resreach on the camaro for a long time. I know of all the std & opt options on all the models. I want a loaded up camaro, with the rs package with the polished 20inch rims and a sun roof, and 6 speed manual. The questions lies in, should i get a 2SS or a 2LT.

Please give me honest answers, not just get a V8 just cause everyone is so high on a V8 all the time. I mean the V6 has its perks like, lower insurance and it is the fastest v6 car of this modern muscle car era. On the other hand, im just getting out of college, and i feel the need to treat myself to a v8 car after driving a s10 and an altima through my early years.

Thanks for the help guys.
Derrick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:32 PM   #2
KatarHol

Drives: '04 Mustang GT
If you gotta ask,get the V6.
KatarHol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:39 PM   #3
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
We are in an era where you may not have too many chances to get a true V8 down the road. To me it was a no brainer to get the 2SS. If you can afford it, always go for the best model you can afford, this way you are less likely to have regrets. You will be spending 85% of the money on the V6, what is another 15%.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:40 PM   #4
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
If finances are not a issue ( insurance, fuel cost, extra cost for the SS, etc) V8

If you have to think about a budget in anyway shape or form to afford the SS then get the V6 still a great choice.

Or save and wait to get a great deal on a used one of your choice.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:56 PM   #5
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Get the V8. Like was said earlier. Get em while you can.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:02 AM   #6
bcudm

Drives: 2010 camaro 1LT RJT
I don't think its so cut and dry, the V6 is a great car... It's not like the anemic V6's of years past... in these uncertain times it may be a financially sound decision that will give you lots of room to play... Don't forget, if you have the money down the road you can modify the V6 with exhaust intake and headers relatively cheaply... you should still be able to spank most cars with the v6, and from what I have heard its a great daily driver... **** I may be biased as I ordered a 1LT****
bcudm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:06 AM   #7
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
If you could afford a fully loaded SS and have no financial worries about it, then b all means go for the SS. You will have no regrets. You dont want to buy an 2LT then a year down the road realize that you shouldve just gone with the V8
I Sure wouldve gone for the same thing i ordered in SS form if i could afford it! but i cant and the 2LT is great for the price. Basically your getting something great no matter what you order. The SS is just better, and im not biased, my 2LT/RS should be here by the end of the month
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:06 AM   #8
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
This is really a personal decision.

I can only give you my own decision and reasons for doing what I did. It seems like we're almost in the same boat. I've driven an 88 4runner, a 87 bronco xlt, a 97 mazda protoge, a 97 mitsubishi eclipse non turbo and currently drive a 2001 saturn SL2. I've always wanted to drive a car with power, and loved the look of the 1st gen camaros.

My brother who's younger than me has owned a 300zx NA with full bolt ons, a TT with few addons, and then finally downgraded to a protoge5. I've been jealous since he's had his toys to play with while I've had nothing but imports that don't go fast at all.

When the new camaro was introduced, I immediately started saving in hopes that I can have my toy with power, as well as something that's going to turn heads. The price was announced and I was faced with the same decision you are. I can easily get a 2LT/RS and have a great car with great insurance prices, with the look and styling that I want, or I can splurge and get the v8 rumble and sound I always wanted.

I feel that I will regret buying the v6 a few years down the road when I have a little more money and get to spend on mods/tires/track fees, etc. I decided to go with the v8.

My second decision is that I can either buy a hardtop, or wait for the convertible or z28 (if it's made). I want a car that looks at home on the beachside with the sunset, so the vert is a logical choice. I'm hoping I can still afford to get a 2SS/RS with the vert, but only time will tell. I might only be able to afford a 2LT/RS with a vert, or a hard top 2SS/RS, so my choice will come at that point, and if it is a choice, it's gonna be a hell of a choice to make.

If it's just a matter of what you want, do you want the rumble of the v8 which pumps your adrenaline even at idle because you can feel the car shaking, or do you want the better gas mileage and lower costs associated with it. That is basically your decision since you haven't said anything about price being a deal breaker or not.

I just wrote this while distracted so I'm not sure if it made sense, but I'll check it again later. Hope this helped.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:16 AM   #9
Stevo

Drives: Camaro 2010 SIM
Maybe get what you can afford (or want to afford)...don't forget premium gas/fewer MPG/higher insurance rates/greater tire costs if you pick the 400 HP...and less fun/prestige with the 300HP
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:24 AM   #10
diV6

Drives: 94 camaro z28
The best advice it test drive and then decide.

However, you state that you think you should treat yourself based on your prior cars. Even the v6 is a treat in my opinion.

Additional, as someone who is also graduating, I am leaning towards a v6. It should be fast enough compared to my lt1, and still should be a fun ride.

Final answer:
Take a ride and then decide.
diV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:26 AM   #11
Mavtop
2SS CGM with IOT

Drives: 2010 2SS CGM with IOT
Wow, I feel your pain.

I too struggle with this very decision as it looms in front of me.

I am a recently graduated physician, just starting my residency. Making just enough money to be looking at a 2LT/RS with IOT, or the 2SS with IOT. Straight up 5k difference. That's 2 extra months of work at my salary. More insurance cost (albeit not that much more, got a good driving record). More gas cost, since I'll be putting 18k miles per year on this vehicle.

But, I cannot deny the absolute excitement that comes over me to think of having a full on sports car. The V6 is great and would be a fantastic car for what I want it for, but I KNOW I will want the V8 almost as soon as I drive off the lot. I made this mistake of getting a lower powered car before (got a 2.5l NA Jetta, as opposed to the 2.0l Turbo Jetta back in '07) and wished everyday I spent the little more for the faster one. I WILL NOT make that mistake again.

Even if it means I eat ramen noodles and sams club hot dogs for a YEAR, I will be getting the 2SS.

After medical school (most brutal experience I've ever had, worse than basic training) I deserve a little recourse I think.

So, thats my two cents.
Mavtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:27 AM   #12
Mason44

Drives: 2011 2SS
V8 dude simple as that.
Mason44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:30 AM   #13
cyberbro

Drives: Not a Camaro at this time
As of today I would say go for the V8 but when gas hits 4 or5 I will be thinking why didn't I get that Very NiceV6!
2000 9/22/15 (Order changed)

2016 2SS With Auto, NPP, MRC, Nav, Split 5 Spoke Bright Aluminum.
cyberbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:31 AM   #14
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Sam's Club and Costco food FTW!