Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you still want Z28?
I'll take Z28 over ZL1 any day! 85 32.69%
Nah - ZL1 suits me just fine 132 50.77%
I'll wait for Z28 until the 6th Generation comes out 43 16.54%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2011, 12:14 AM   #29
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
The theoretical question still stands...if a ZL1 out-handle the Boss and out-perform the GT500...would anybody still really want another Camaro variant?

Ummm yes, I think that we all know the answer for that...the Z/28 would sell on just namesake alone, but I am sure that GM wouldn't release one unless it met "our" standards. Besides most people like what they see but can only buy what they can afford. If the ZL1 comes in at 47 grand then there is a lot of wiggle room in between that and the SS. Its up to those who want what part of what in a car. The Corvette has several trim levels but all in all its a Corvette, a class all to itself...a person purchases one because they can afford to and they feel like an eliete group. Those that truly have a need for speed and handling buy the ZR1
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:20 AM   #30
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
i'm good with a 11' ss...way too early to be thinkin about something more expensive.
i'd love to be thinkin about either z, but on retirement ya gotta save for your toys.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:48 AM   #31
Camaro_hx
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to Camaro_hx
To decide on such question... personally, i need to be in both the ZL-1 and Z28.. then I'll know which to prefer.

From what i can analyze now, I'd go for the ZL-1!
Camaro_hx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #32
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
If the Z28 turns out to be a track car like some have suggested with the back seat removed, lightened glass, adjustable coil overs, sound deadening removed and a NA engine, that is not what I would be looking for. For me, the ZL1 has 99% of what I was looking and hoping for in the car. I have absolutely no plans to race the car other than occasional drag strip outing and maybe a couple of local parking lot auto crosses. The majority of the time will be spent going from place to place in comfort and wreaking havoc on Mustangs and Challengers. Team Camaro built the perfect car for me. To make it 100% they only have to add a Heritage Grill, Sunroof and black out the chrome around the tail lights. Even if they do not make these changes, how often can you buy a car that meets 99% of your expectations?
Old 02-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #33
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
ZL1 would have to be revolutionary to out-handle the Boss. Face it - the Boss is simple - low weight, great power, relatively simple chassis tuning. ZL1 is going to weigh several hundred pounds more (I seriously feel like it will - no biggie), but a more advanced chassis, and more power. I believe GM is taking handling very seriously; look how they simply relocated the rear swaybar link points on the lower control arms. If ZL1 could beat a Boss; I don't really think Z28 will come.

I maintain that I don't think ZL1 will out-handle a Boss, though - it's just physics to me, and though that can largely be overcome with technology, but technology costs money, and I really don't think GM wants to get too close to CTS-V in price, because I think they want to keep it a good value for CAMARO-guys and gals.

I AM surprised to see what seems like a lack of either support or interest in Z28 now. If this interest is accurate on the whole, perhaps the Boss won't be successful, so why would we need Z28 if it's not going to sell well? All I know is, I want Z28 in the line-up, and I want it to do the name justice. I'd be disappointed to learn ZL1 took it's place only to have pushed it out of the 5th Generation because there wasn't significant enough competition (not relative to performance - only in interest and relevance). I'm surprised at some of the reactions...

Hmm...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #34
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
If the Z28 turns out to be a track car like some have suggested with the back seat removed, lightened glass, adjustable coil overs, sound deadening removed and a NA engine, that is not what I would be looking for. For me, the ZL1 has 99% of what I was looking and hoping for in the car. I have absolutely no plans to race the car other than occasional drag strip outing and maybe a couple of local parking lot auto crosses. The majority of the time will be spent going from place to place in comfort and wreaking havoc on Mustangs and Challengers. Team Camaro built the perfect car for me. To make it 100% they only have to add a Heritage Grill, Sunroof and black out the chrome around the tail lights. Even if they do not make these changes, how often can you buy a car that meets 99% of your expectations?
I still wish ZL1 was Z28...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 02-15-2011, 11:35 AM   #35
91Z28350

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP 2010 Traverse LTZ
LOL, as someone who grew up with the L78 SS 396 as their first introduction to Camaros, I am glad that the new uber Camaro is a ZL1.

Z28 has it's place, and I hope they make it as a true successor to the original mission of the Z28.
91Z28350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #36
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
ZL1 would have to be revolutionary to out-handle the Boss. Face it - the Boss is simple - low weight, great power, relatively simple chassis tuning. ZL1 is going to weigh several hundred pounds more (I seriously feel like it will - no biggie), but a more advanced chassis, and more power. I believe GM is taking handling very seriously; look how they simply relocated the rear swaybar link points on the lower control arms. If ZL1 could beat a Boss; I don't really think Z28 will come.

I maintain that I don't think ZL1 will out-handle a Boss, though - it's just physics to me, and though that can largely be overcome with technology, but technology costs money, and I really don't think GM wants to get too close to CTS-V in price, because I think they want to keep it a good value for CAMARO-guys and gals.
I don't think it's a realistic expectation, either...but I'm not shocked-and-awed like some are with the Boss....like you said...it's very simple. Several of our suspension vendors have modified SS Camaros into out-handling Ford's newest entry already...I like to think with Mag Ride, a suspension overhaul, and wider tires...GM could get close enough to make it sweat, despite a clear weight advantage. Remember....the ZL1 was designed to excell on both a road course and the drag strip -- not one or the other. HOW well it does...I guess we'll need to wait and see, but I like toying with the idea.

Quote:
I AM surprised to see what seems like a lack of either support or interest in Z28 now. If this interest is accurate on the whole, perhaps the Boss won't be successful, so why would we need Z28 if it's not going to sell well? All I know is, I want Z28 in the line-up, and I want it to do the name justice. I'd be disappointed to learn ZL1 took it's place only to have pushed it out of the 5th Generation because there wasn't significant enough competition (not relative to performance - only in interest and relevance). I'm surprised at some of the reactions...

Hmm...
I don't think the Boss will be successful at all...if it's measure is sales. It's an impractical car, people don't want "strippers" anymore...and I'm sure it's not going to feel all that great on imperfect roads if it's set up for race-duty. But it's got a name out there, and its got performance junkies who'd probably never consider buying a car like that drooling over the thought of what it can do......

Does it matter to Ford it's not going to sell amazingly well? Probably not...the Mustang has already paid for itself in large part (The S197 chassis has been around since the early 2000s), and they don't need to support a line of Corvette's or V-series Cadillacs, so they can do whatever they want without really worrying too much about the business case.

By extension...I don't see the need for a CAR like that from Chevy (That's separate from the fact I'd like to see the name Z28 return).....

Quote:
I don't....not anymore. The more I think about it...the more it "fits" just right with what this car represents.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #37
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
No one wanted the new car to be named Z28 more than I. It was the one car that I never owned but told myself that some day I would. In the end Team Camaro built the car exactly the way I hoped they would and even added some things that I never thought that they would. So although it will not be named Z28, it will be a phenomenal car nevertheless. This will be my first Camaro after a long history of owning Corvettes, Chevelles and Novas and it just happens to be named ZL1 instead of Z28. I was sad for a few moments but when I realized what a fantastic car Chevy had built, the sadness passed very quickly. The name ZL1 will be just fine with me.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #38
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I don't think it's a realistic expectation, either...but I'm not shocked-and-awed like some are with the Boss....like you said...it's very simple. Several of our suspension vendors have modified SS Camaros into out-handling Ford's newest entry already...I like to think with Mag Ride, a suspension overhaul, and wider tires...GM could get close enough to make it sweat, despite a clear weight advantage. Remember....the ZL1 was designed to excell on both a road course and the drag strip -- not one or the other. HOW well it does...I guess we'll need to wait and see, but I like toying with the idea.

I don't think the Boss will be successful at all...if it's measure is sales. It's an impractical car, people don't want "strippers" anymore...and I'm sure it's not going to feel all that great on imperfect roads if it's set up for race-duty. But it's got a name out there, and its got performance junkies who'd probably never consider buying a car like that drooling over the thought of what it can do......

Does it matter to Ford it's not going to sell amazingly well? Probably not...the Mustang has already paid for itself in large part (The S197 chassis has been around since the early 2000s), and they don't need to support a line of Corvette's or V-series Cadillacs, so they can do whatever they want without really worrying too much about the business case.

By extension...I don't see the need for a CAR like that from Chevy (That's separate from the fact I'd like to see the name Z28 return).....

I don't....not anymore. The more I think about it...the more it "fits" just right with what this car represents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
No one wanted the new car to be named Z28 more than I. It was the one car that I never owned but told myself that some day I would. In the end Team Camaro built the car exactly the way I hoped they would and even added some things that I never thought that they would. So although it will not be named Z28, it will be a phenomenal car nevertheless. This will be my first Camaro after a long history of owning Corvettes, Chevelles and Novas and it just happens to be named ZL1 instead of Z28. I was sad for a few moments but when I realized what a fantastic car Chevy had built, the sadness passed very quickly. The name ZL1 will be just fine with me.
I can't say I disagree with hardly any of these points, lol. My signature agrees

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 02-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #39
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Maybe GM could just introduce a Z28 RPO Code and not tell anybody about it like back in '67

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #40
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUALO View Post
Basically, I think the Z28 should be the most powerful Camaro without a supercharger,
that can be produced. They have to be able to be enjoyed on the road, and compete at the track, with
AUTOMATIC & MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS AVAILABLE...PERIOD, END OF STORY!

I think Z/28 drivers will want to maintain normal ride pleasure instead of being a bare bones roll barred noisy monster! I agree the main distinction will be the supercharger delete latest technology engine (DI) on the lighter Alpha. Can't quite see them gutting it for pounds. The original Z28 was not a GUTTED Camaro.

ZL1 is my dream car. Absolutely. Z28 will be awesome in strongest way and in ways possibly not seen in ZL1, but ZL1 will likely remain the Living Legend.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #41
Darkflow

Drives: 2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
You know, I've been thinking......they did extensive aerodynamic and handling modifications to the Camaro when they created the ZL1....

While I like to entertain the thought that there will be a Z28 produced.....I can't help but look at the ZL1 as a Camaro with all the handling prowess we're looking for in a Z28...and then they went and added a metric crap-ton of power on top...

I wonder (this is PURELY speculation)....

What if the ZL1 can out-handle a Boss? Would anybody feel the need for a Z28 competitor for reasons other than to see the name return?
Another thing to consider is, how long is the Boss 302 going to be around? We dont know Fords plans with the Boss, may be in production for just a few yrs. The Mach 1 was only done for 2 yrs. Then they began there new style body's (05-10's). Z28 ressurrection may come around but at the same time, the Boss may already be gone or on its last year. Just something to think about....

The Boss 302 has 2 different versions as well, the regular Boss 302 and the Boss LS "Laguna Seca". The LS being the stripped down track version and the regular Boss being, i guess you could say a better version of the 5.0 Gt. Performance wise, both are the same. GM might want to think about doing this as well or making 1 version capable of being both. Honestly though, i think a Z28 will only happen if the ZL1 sells well.

Last edited by Darkflow; 02-15-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Darkflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #42
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflow View Post
Another thing to consider is, how long is the Boss 302 going to be around? We dont know Fords plans with the Boss, may be in production for just a few yrs. The Mach 1 was only done for 2 yrs. Then they began there new style body's (05-10's). Z28 ressurrection may come around but at the same time, the Boss may already be gone or on its last year. Just something to think about....

The Boss 302 has 2 different versions as well, the regular Boss 302 and the Boss LS "Laguna Seca". The LS being the stripped down track version and the regular Boss being, i guess you could say a better version of the 5.0 Gt. Performance wise, both are the same. GM might want to think about doing this as well or making 1 version capable of being both. Honestly though, i think a Z28 will only happen if the ZL1 sells well.
All good points. It'll be interesting to see what happens. The great part about all of this is that....there is an "all of this". So long as the rest of these companies do well (the trucks and 'regular' cars)...we'll have our performance.

If it's priced right...I'm confident the ZL1 will simply FLY off the lots (and not just due to its insane performance-capabilities )!!