#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-26-2021, 02:34 AM   #15
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramard View Post
I'm very fortunate to have had not once but twice set the VIR TT2 lap record this past weekend. I'll create a separate post about the Camaro Klaus wing kit (hint: it's tremendous if you're a track rat) but wanted to share with you all that I (finally) was able to get this big 4000lb hunk of metal to the top of the leaderboard and into the nasa record books. Some of you may have seen Ben Grambau's C5 'Vette get a bit of love for his record last year, so it's an honor to hold the record at the moment. I'm still learning the aero but targeting 55s later this year.

I dynoed 529 peak HP at the wheel, so the car is running a little tired. I'll need to check plugs and cats to see what could be robbing power. The balance of the car is pretty phenomenal w/ the 72" GTMax wing and Aero Sport Concepts splitter. I drove it to and from the track, full interior and the only mods that have been made are:
  • Klaus GTMAX Swan Wing
  • Aero Sport Concepts Splitter
  • Front Giro Discs w/ ST45 pads all round
  • Rotofab intake
  • ADM reservoir
  • Apex EC7 w/ A7s (315/325)

For those interested here is the video of the lap:

Pics of the car attached. Please excuse the blue trunk. I used a junk trunk while sorting out the mounting. This is a trunk-mounted kit. I'm not a sponsored car so all of the stuff that's on here is at my own expense to go faster. Happy to answer any questions about how this stuff works on track!
WOW! Impressive line. Tires managed well. Great driving!

Observations;

Phat wing. As I understand the physics, the bottom surface of the rear wing has the greatest effect on aerodynamics. That goose neck configuration, given your opinion and lap time improvements from last season, definitely back it up. Good call on the reserve decklid. I wouldn't have risked my rear decklid either with all of the downforce that a non frame mounted wang like that generates.

Looks like your forward aero balances your aft aero magnificently! Bravo!

I need to try me a set of A7s.

I'm curious about those Giro rotors with the ST45s. How is your rotor/pad life in that configuration. I assume that you are still running the OEM Brembos?

Question;

What are your alignment specs?

I like the way that you think. Tires, reduced rotating mass, brakes and aero make a huge difference... and at a reasonable expense. IMHO, an LT4 that breathes well and cools well without SC circuit cavitation is more than adequate on a road course. Properly building an LT4 is an expensive proposition. My finances (and my beautiful wife) dictate that I should chose between the two.

Thanks for your insight.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:33 AM   #16
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Well driven!!

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 05:48 AM   #17
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Awesome run!

God I miss VIR. Have not made it up there in about 4 years.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:36 AM   #18
Trak-Toy

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE
Wow... just wow. That is an amazing time for the VIR - full course! For those wondering what an excellent time for the VIR full course is, anything in the low 2’s, with a mostly stock car, is something to be proud of. Under 2 minutes, is super man territory.
Trak-Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:00 PM   #19
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Congrats! Very nice driving!
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:13 PM   #20
dbs1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Yahoo babeeee! Way to run that bad boy! Me likeeeee!!!
dbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:38 PM   #21
20Madman

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Awesome
20Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 01:23 AM   #22
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
WOW! Impressive line. Tires managed well. Great driving!

Observations;

Phat wing. As I understand the physics, the bottom surface of the rear wing has the greatest effect on aerodynamics. That goose neck configuration, given your opinion and lap time improvements from last season, definitely back it up. Good call on the reserve decklid. I wouldn't have risked my rear decklid either with all of the downforce that a non frame mounted wang like that generates.

Looks like your forward aero balances your aft aero magnificently! Bravo!

I need to try me a set of A7s.

I'm curious about those Giro rotors with the ST45s. How is your rotor/pad life in that configuration. I assume that you are still running the OEM Brembos?

Question;

What are your alignment specs?

I like the way that you think. Tires, reduced rotating mass, brakes and aero make a huge difference... and at a reasonable expense. IMHO, an LT4 that breathes well and cools well without SC circuit cavitation is more than adequate on a road course. Properly building an LT4 is an expensive proposition. My finances (and my beautiful wife) dictate that I should chose between the two.

Thanks for your insight.

Regarding the rear wing comment; that is correct, but keep in mind the other sides shape plays a role as well. It is basically a aircraft wing up side down. As a plane’s wing creates lift, a car’s wing creates downforce. It’s lift in the opposite direction.

It’s complicated, but at the same time not. Think of it in terms of a pressure differential: ie, pushing open a door. On one side you have a higher force of pressure than the other.

This is accomplished by a differential of air velocity across the top & bottom of the “wing”. One side travels faster than the other due to the shape (& angle of attack, but we don’t need to get into that). The differential of velocity, due to air having viscosity, creates a physical phenomenon that forces the object in the direction from lower velocity to higher velocity.

This phenomenon creates a circular motion that is called a lift vertices. It is a rotating air mass, like a tornado, that centers on the wings center of disproportionate velocity. This vertices actually encompasses the wing (in open air) & extends in a radius & from the tip of the wing a proportionate distance to its relative velocity & its differential of pressure.

The uprights on the end of the wing (also seen on many types of aircraft, most of which are just a turn-up of the wing tip) are what’s known as vertices generators. They serve to trap the air moving in a longitudinal direction along the wing surface & promote the circular air pattern that creates lift by forcing the air to travel over the surface rather than “slide” off to the sides. This increases the differential of pressure seen across the opposing surfaces of the wing & creates more lift (or down force).

Aside from that we further get into the discussion of energy transfer of various materials used to transmit this downforce (think of a Newton’s Cradle) as kinetic energy “flows” through an object where force is exerted upon it. So the energy transfer rate of a material, such as say steel or aluminum, have a very different transfer rate. So the material itself plays a part in how quickly, ie; rate of differential pressure change, as well as static force, it is transferred.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by gtfoxy; 03-27-2021 at 01:56 AM.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:51 AM   #23
d15b7

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 1 LE
fantastic lap - congrats!!!!
d15b7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:27 PM   #24
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Regarding the rear wing comment; that is correct, but keep in mind the other sides shape plays a role as well. It is basically a aircraft wing up side down. As a plane’s wing creates lift, a car’s wing creates downforce. It’s lift in the opposite direction.

It’s complicated, but at the same time not. Think of it in terms of a pressure differential: ie, pushing open a door. On one side you have a higher force of pressure than the other.

This is accomplished by a differential of air velocity across the top & bottom of the “wing”. One side travels faster than the other due to the shape (& angle of attack, but we don’t need to get into that). The differential of velocity, due to air having viscosity, creates a physical phenomenon that forces the object in the direction from lower velocity to higher velocity.

This phenomenon creates a circular motion that is called a lift vertices. It is a rotating air mass, like a tornado, that centers on the wings center of disproportionate velocity. This vertices actually encompasses the wing (in open air) & extends in a radius & from the tip of the wing a proportionate distance to its relative velocity & its differential of pressure.

The uprights on the end of the wing (also seen on many types of aircraft, most of which are just a turn-up of the wing tip) are what’s known as vertices generators. They serve to trap the air moving in a longitudinal direction along the wing surface & promote the circular air pattern that creates lift by forcing the air to travel over the surface rather than “slide” off to the sides. This increases the differential of pressure seen across the opposing surfaces of the wing & creates more lift (or down force).

Aside from that we further get into the discussion of energy transfer of various materials used to transmit this downforce (think of a Newton’s Cradle) as kinetic energy “flows” through an object where force is exerted upon it. So the energy transfer rate of a material, such as say steel or aluminum, have a very different transfer rate. So the material itself plays a part in how quickly, ie; rate of differential pressure change, as well as static force, it is transferred.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, it does. Good info.

Technical, but not overly so.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:53 PM   #25
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Awesome!
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:13 AM   #26
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Most videos i watch don’t appear as fast as i know they are...this looks like you’re bookin it brotha! Nice lap and good luck in your attempt for the 55
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote