Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-26-2021, 07:58 AM   #1
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Q's About Using Self Storage as a Garage

TL;DR - I will be starting to use a Self Storage unit as a "garage" for the Camaro and am wondering how some folks contend with certain things or whether they're issues at all. If you have used a storage unit as a garage, and can offer your experiences with anything below, please chime in. Thanks!

- Rodents: Any input on whether mice and similar are any more or less likely to be an issue with a storage unit than an attached garage? Any tips on warding them off fairly reliably? Traps in the garage are one thing as I'll be able to easily notice they need emptying and take care of it. Not so with a storage unit...

- Battery: With no power source, what sort of methods are folks using to keep the battery in good condition over longer periods (like winter storage)? Pull the battery and take it back to the house to put it on a tender?

- Clearance: Any general tips on ensuring the car easily clears the threshold on entry / exit? What about clearing the wall with the door to get in and out? I put the truck in and found that I couldn't open the door too far. Expecting that it will be worse with the longer doors on the car...

- Other: Any general tips about using a storage unit in this way? I know a lot of folks do it, just wondering if there are some things I should be thinking about that I'm not as of yet...
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:21 AM   #2
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
I have a storage unit as a garage. It is a 12 X 24, non climate controlled. I have had it for about 3 years now. I use it to store my extra vehicle and rotate with my other 2 vehicles. I rotate my current 97 Jeep Wrangler and 2019 Silverado there. I had my former 2016 Camaro there too, until I traded it for my 2006 C6 Corvette, which I keep at home in the main garage.

I have had no issues, other than it being a little dusty. No rodents or anything else. It's a little narrow and when I open the doors of the (previous) Camaro or my Silverado truck (they are big, long doors)- they hit the side of the storage unit. So I keep a detailing towelette in the vehicles and use it between the side and the door. I rest the door open against it so it is opened up as much as possible for exit and entry. It's a little tricky and then it's a little tight getting in and out of the vehicle. I have to kind of slide and squirm out. It helps that I am kind of slim- 6', 173 LBS.

I don't do any real car work there- I do it at my garage at my house.

The storage unit works out pretty good actually. It's nice when I go there and there's no one there usually so it's quiet and I have have plenty of room to switch out the vehicles. I switch them out at least once a week, so I don't worry about battery tenders, etc.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:34 AM   #3
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
I have a storage unit as a garage. It is a 12 X 24, non climate controlled. I have had it for about 3 years now. I use it to store my extra vehicle and rotate with my other 2 vehicles. I rotate my current 97 Jeep Wrangler and 2019 Silverado there. I had my former 2016 Camaro there too, until I traded it for my 2006 C6 Corvette, which I keep at home in the main garage.

I have had no issues, other than it being a little dusty. No rodents or anything else. It's a little narrow and when I open the doors of the (previous) Camaro or my Silverado truck (they are big, long doors)- they hit the side of the storage unit. So I keep a detailing towelette in the vehicles and use it between the side and the door. I rest the door open against it so it is opened up as much as possible for exit and entry. It's a little tricky and then it's a little tight getting in and out of the vehicle. I have to kind of slide and squirm out. It helps that I am kind of slim- 6', 173 LBS.

I don't do any real car work there- I do it at my garage at my house.

The storage unit works out pretty good actually. It's nice when I go there and there's no one there usually so it's quiet and I have have plenty of room to switch out the vehicles. I switch them out at least once a week, so I don't worry about battery tenders, etc.
Thanks for the input...

This past winter, I was able to use my attached garage for winter storage and keep the battery in the car with a tender connected. Going forward, the storage unit will be the winter storage for me. That was why I was asking about the battery tender type stuff.

I've had my crew cab Silverado on there and the door didn't bump the wall. I could definitely see where I may need to move the Camaro a touch to one side to have enough clearance for the Camaro door, though. Your comment about the towel makes me think that I may want to put a piece of styrofoam or similar where the door will routinely open and leave it against the wall of the unit as a protective barrier type of thing.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:41 AM   #4
Seniorrs

Drives: 21 Camaro RS manual v6.Tyota Tacoma
I put a cup of moth balls on ground inside front tire if temp gets much below 40 Fahrenheit.Cheap ins.
Seniorrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:44 AM   #5
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
I've never had a self storage place, but we just had a local guy's truck stolen from one. I recommend making sure that the place you use has good security and cameras.
Security comes down to this:

- Access is only available during certain hours (6AM-10PM)
- If the office is staffed, the front gate is open
- When the office isn't staffed, the gate can be opened with a specific PIN (unique per rented unit)
- The doors have locks on them that are "a bit more difficult" to cut with bolt cutters than a standard padlock

After that, it comes down to being smart about how you leave the car (lock it, don't leave the keys, etc.), not drawing attention to the fact that the car is there, and having good insurance.

You raise a point that makes me wonder if there might be a way to put a battery disconnect or similar in place that would be 'hidden' from view for most folks... probably not really going to make a huge difference in the grand scheme...
Old 03-26-2021, 08:44 AM   #6
SHE'Z 18

Drives: 18 ZL1 - M6
I always tend to er on the side of caution when storing mine. That said, I would agree with you on the mouse traps. Put out a bunch of them out (cheap insurance). I'd throw several dryer sheets in the car before closing the doors and also put 2-3 inside air box and exhaust outlets. Throw a note on the windshield that say's "remove drier sheets" so you don't forget. Just a couple simple things can make a huge difference.

Good luck!
SHE'Z 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:58 AM   #7
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I'm in MI and store for the winter. I used a "Public Storage" place this winter. Had a 10 x 20 unit and car fit fine. A little tight getting in and out of the car door but enough to do so just being careful with door swing. I put my car cover on it. No issues with rodents, but that's going to be location specific I guess. I did not place any traps or anything in the unit or car. I put the car in "Transport Mode" to preserve the battery a bit, and went every 3-5 weeks to start and run it. Ran it for 30 minutes each time to charge the batt. Only one time did it *almost* not turn over, but most times it hesitated just slightly but started. I put some carpet squares under the tires and inflated them to 40PSI.

I kept it last summer and swapped cars every time I used the SS, but that started to get to be a PITA driving two miles and back every time I swapped. I'm not keeping it this summer, and will just play two car monte at home for my space in our two car garage!

I just reinstated my full coverage effective 12:01A on the 29th, so I can't wait for Monday!
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:06 AM   #8
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
I'm in MI and store for the winter. I used a "Public Storage" place this winter. Had a 10 x 20 unit and car fit fine. A little tight getting in and out of the car door but enough to do so just being careful with door swing. I put my car cover on it. No issues with rodents, but that's going to be location specific I guess. I did not place any traps or anything in the unit or car. I put the car in "Transport Mode" to preserve the battery a bit, and went every 3-5 weeks to start and run it. Ran it for 30 minutes each time to charge the batt. Only one time did it *almost* not turn over, but most times it hesitated just slightly but started. I put some carpet squares under the tires and inflated them to 40PSI.

I kept it last summer and swapped cars every time I used the SS, but that started to get to be a PITA driving two miles and back every time I swapped. I'm not keeping it this summer, and will just play two car monte at home for my space in our two car garage!

I just reinstated my full coverage effective 12:01A on the 29th, so I can't wait for Monday!
Thanks.

I have no interest in traps... Using them requires checking them periodically and that really isn't an option during the cold weather months.

I -have- to have a storage unit for, well, storage of stuff. With changes in living arrangements and no access to a regular garage combined with it being a convertible means that I will be vehicle-swapping between the truck and the Camaro being in the storage unit. Mine is a weekend car, so it can stay there during the week most times anyhow. I'll likely swap on Friday evening to get the car and keep it in the garage at the condo Friday and Saturday nights then swap back Sunday evening.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:13 AM   #9
NotFast

Drives: 2021 LT1
I've stored other cars like that in the past and I'd typically go there every few weeks to start the engine and maybe drive it around the property a few times.

Were you aware of Transport Mode? I used it for a few weeks this year and the posters here indicate it works very well for maintaining the battery:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454614
NotFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:14 AM   #10
indy82z

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS HW Edition, 2020 LT1
I have paid for storage units for 5 years now and recently got tired of throwing my money away on them and am adding a couple of 4 post lifts to my garage for extra car storage. I could have paid for these a couple times over with the amount of money I have spent on rent plus it will be nice to have them at my house where I can see them everyday.

Just something to think about if you have the overhead room..
2018 Camaro SS Hot Wheels Edition #838
indy82z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:34 AM   #11
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFast View Post
I've stored other cars like that in the past and I'd typically go there every few weeks to start the engine and maybe drive it around the property a few times.

Were you aware of Transport Mode? I used it for a few weeks this year and the posters here indicate it works very well for maintaining the battery:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454614
I am aware of it... Good to know that you've had good results from using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy82z View Post
I have paid for storage units for 5 years now and recently got tired of throwing my money away on them and am adding a couple of 4 post lifts to my garage for extra car storage. I could have paid for these a couple times over with the amount of money I have spent on rent plus it will be nice to have them at my house where I can see them everyday.

Just something to think about if you have the overhead room..
I get it, and it's a reasonable way to think about. 100% won't apply for me right now, though and a storage unit is a requirement.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:06 AM   #12
NotFast

Drives: 2021 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy82z View Post
I have paid for storage units for 5 years now and recently got tired of throwing my money away on them and am adding a couple of 4 post lifts to my garage for extra car storage.

I would kill for the a lift. I have a big garage but the height means I can't fit on in there without 1) a big pain in the butt and 2) very limited height on any car on/below the lift.
NotFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:48 AM   #13
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFast View Post
I would kill for the a lift. I have a big garage but the height means I can't fit on in there without 1) a big pain in the butt and 2) very limited height on any car on/below the lift.
Same. I would have fun tinkering around using a lift, in addition to the added convenience it would provide. I would need a new garage and a new lift.

OP - I hope everything is going ok for you. We seem to have a series of events of putting effort into getting a car, then trying to sell the car, now planning (next?) winter storage.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:51 AM   #14
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
Same. I would have fun tinkering around using a lift, in addition to the added convenience it would provide. I would need a new garage and a new lift.

OP - I hope everything is going ok for you. We seem to have a series of events of putting effort into getting a car, then trying to sell the car, now planning (next?) winter storage.
I was looking at trying to work a trade to a 2021 but the dealer had their collective head up their butt with the 'deal' they tried offering. I actually just told them this morning when they reached to say that someone else wanted to buy the car to shove it sideways.

This isn't a 'next winter' thing for me... This is a "this is how it works for me now" thing. I'm selling the house and moving forward will have access to only one small garage. I own a full size Crew Cab 4x4 truck and the Camaro, and she has a small SUV. She gets the local garage in the condo most of the time with the occasional option to put the Camaro in there during the nice weather.