#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-15-2021, 04:13 AM   #85
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo Savy View Post
Chevy coming out with a new model called the Chevy E-Velle SS.

What’s really gross is companies are making engine swap kits so you can put an electric motor in classic cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:57 AM   #86
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle vs Camaro View Post
What’s really gross is companies are making engine swap kits so you can put an electric motor in classic cars

GM is one of those companies

https://www.thedrive.com/news/37354/...sier-than-ever
Old 02-15-2021, 10:07 AM   #87
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
It would be interesting to see if that could swap into a Volt.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:14 AM   #88
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Cuz enough people aren’t buying them and to put money into R&D, manufacturing and other aspects of a new model doesn’t make financial sense if their only selling 20-30k of them.
At 20 - 30k sales, either dropping a model or folding it into another sedan model as a trim would make more sense than it would with both Ford's Fusion and Chevy's Malibu selling in 100+k a year numbers even in 2020. I would expect Covid to have held vehicle sales down generally.

Norm
Old 02-15-2021, 05:07 PM   #89
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
I agree... but at the end of the day it’s a dang full size truck that has a faster 0-60 time than a ZL1
So it can get me a ticket more quickly and gives me more bragging rights.

How useful.

And it's not even like you can track these things, and I fail to see how having 1000 BHP is helpful in anyway for offroading. I did it in a 80 BHP Suzuki Jimny. I bet 1000 BHP is gonna be real useful in that mud and sand.

Quote:

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, as long as it's not a mainstream thing.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:41 AM   #90
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Mustang Mach E = Ford Hand Job

If Oscar Meyer introduced a beef patty and called it a hot dog would you play along and call it by the same name. No. And no self respecting human should either. We've established what a hot dog is and calling a hamburger a hot dog makes you look stupid. Ford has established what a Mustang is and now looks stupid for calling a CUV a Mustang.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:09 AM   #91
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
I don't care for the name either and just refer to it as the Mach-E. I find the technology interesting and can't wait to drive one/check it out. I love my Camaro SS immensely but I'm also open to the new technologies that will be coming. The Mach-E is an excellent looking vehicle when compared to other EVs. The interior is top-notch, IMO. I think Ford did an outstanding job with it. There's nothing wrong with liking a variety of things. It doesn't have to be EV or ICE. Why not both?
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:29 AM   #92
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
So we haven't debunked the 29% C7 manual take rate that was exhaustively researched in that Corvette forum thread?

As a heads up for Jim...we all used actual year by year C7 sales data to determine Tadge's market speak as false.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:20 AM   #93
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
So we haven't debunked the 29% C7 manual take rate that was exhaustively researched in that Corvette forum thread?

As a heads up for Jim...we all used actual year by year C7 sales data to determine Tadge's market speak as false.
What is your take rate number if you take out Z06 and ZR1?

Also, I realize it's the internet but it sounds like a LOT of people went to a LOT of trouble to prove Tadge was wrong. Not sure why.

Even IF it is 29% (which my guess is you cook the books to get your answer and not the guy who actually tried to get a manual), that's way too low when a DCT is far better for performance, you just give up moving your right arm.

I am reading into your earlier comment that it was Stingray only so that means to get YOUR number you are adding Z06 and ZR1, which were likely higher.

Regardless, if I give you your number you now need to prove that Tadge must therefore have lied about not getting a supplier willing to develop a new manual transmission for that volume.

And with the number of manuals dropping across the board year over year, Tadge is responsible for managing the business in 2024 and beyond. With transmission suppliers knowing it's going to continue to drop, do you think they are willing to pay to develop a transmission with ever dropping penetration? Probably no to that.

Anyway, I've worked Tadge and trust his statement, even if you can spin it with context. In the end, the statement is more that they couldn't find anyone to work with at the projected volume not what he said the volume was. In my business we call that getting "no quoted", or worse, "I'll quote but here is my price to do it". Both stop a business case in it's tracks.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:51 AM   #94
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Found this....

Across the board, the penetration of the 8-speed automatic transmission was 77.6%. For Z06, 70.3% of buyers selected the 8-speed automatic while 70.0% of ZR1 buyers selected the auto transmission.

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2019...te-model-year/

And if you are correct if that is biased based on a bunch of people buying manuals at the last minute that otherwise wouldn't have even bought car, then 19% is looking pretty solid if across the board it was 77.6% automatic.

And considering a DCT (IMHO) is the far better choice (basically an automated manual with better controls than my right arm and left leg), manual penetration would likely drop even further.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:06 PM   #95
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post

Still waiting for a colleague to run the report for me. I haven’t used it in a while, so my access got dumped.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 01:14 PM   #96
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Found this....

Across the board, the penetration of the 8-speed automatic transmission was 77.6%. For Z06, 70.3% of buyers selected the 8-speed automatic while 70.0% of ZR1 buyers selected the auto transmission.

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2019...te-model-year/

And if you are correct if that is biased based on a bunch of people buying manuals at the last minute that otherwise wouldn't have even bought car, then 19% is looking pretty solid if across the board it was 77.6% automatic.

And considering a DCT (IMHO) is the far better choice (basically an automated manual with better controls than my right arm and left leg), manual penetration would likely drop even further.
Charge extra for the manual. It's not as crazy as you think. Dodge does it for the Challenger. Manual is V8 only and costs a grand more than the auto. I would still have picked it.

If I just want to be fast, there is this thing called an airplane or a bullet train. Far faster than any car.

I buy the car to drive it myself. No manual, no care, no purchase. Simple as that for me and a few manual fans.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 02:09 PM   #97
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Why also are we cherry picking the worst (last year) of base model data on take rates and comparing it to first year C8?

Why not compare manual take rate of the first year C7 (cough 35% + cough)??

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2014...on-statistics/

Here is a thread with a ton of info, even more trolling, and even more "enthusiasts" celebrating the loss of options on a sports car...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-on-sales.html

Production link:

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2019...e-c7-corvette/

"Of the nearly 200,000 C7s produced, the total take-rate for manual transmissions was 50,611 or 26.55%."

Corvette Blogger also breaks it down by model on other info pages on the same site. (Both Z cars were higher than Stingrays).
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:23 PM   #98
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Charge extra for the manual. It's not as crazy as you think. Dodge does it for the Challenger. Manual is V8 only and costs a grand more than the auto. I would still have picked it.

If I just want to be fast, there is this thing called an airplane or a bullet train. Far faster than any car.

I buy the car to drive it myself. No manual, no care, no purchase. Simple as that for me and a few manual fans.

The only issue is there are fewer of people like you. I am exactly the same way with one exception, given the choice of auto, manual or automated manual, I'm taking the DCT. I've enjoyed driving a DCT more than either of the other two.

And GM used to charge more for the manual several many years ago if memory serves. But in this case, you would be tooling up a unique transmission. If it existed it would likely have been done. So tooling up a new transmission is maybe $100 million dollars, and I think that's on the low side. If you sell 20,000 manuals a year (way on the high side I think) that's $5,000 you need in the first year per car, with no profit and no consideration for piece price, although I'd agree it's lower than a DCT. Based on my Mach 3 flyby numbers you'd have to charge $10,000 for a manual that only goes in the Corvette. You might pay that along with a few more, but it would drive the volumes so low you might never recoup your investment. And in reality, GM would only make that investment if it was their transmission.

The way it works is you have to have someone willing to pay that investment for a new transmission and believe they have a business case to invest that money. Tadge said there wasn't anyone. If a company had one "off the shelf and the tooling was done" used on multiple models for multiple companies, it's a very different discussion.

Last edited by Number 3; 02-16-2021 at 04:38 PM.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote