Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Thread Closed

Old 02-01-2021, 12:23 PM   #295
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernCamaroZ28Fan View Post
I mean, I wouldn't keep my fingers crossed. I heard that GM and Microsoft are working together in the near future.
The current MY cars get their updates on over the air always connected links you have no control over unless you physically kill power to the module (via fuses or wires - no button) or open up the hidden module and remove the radio (not even sure you can do that with the current MY camaro like you could with the 2016).

i would not hedge your bets on solutions from anyone being much more consumer friendly in the future than tesla is currently being ...they're all moving in that direction, ICE or not. They want you subscribed, going to dealers for all service, always connected and buying a new car every few years (though, not due to the car breaking). It's what john deere does to farmers already, it's what the automotive companies want for their customers. All of them.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:41 PM   #296
cellsafemode

Didn't see this in the thread.

this is what motor trend thinks Chevy will come up with to compete against ford. (it's an old story ...but probably the most realistic step chevy would take)

https://www.motortrend.com/news/chev...28-renderings/
Old 02-01-2021, 12:48 PM   #297
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
LOL, so landlords will now have to literally buy into this? What about public housing or high-rise buildings? Or street parking in areas like parts of Chicago? Personally, I think the people that live in rented housing will likely have to use the charging stations almost exclusively. And if they charge as quickly as gas stations now, THAT part of the equation isn't a big deal.
Take a stroll through the hood of your nearest big city. You know what you'll find? Nothing but cars that are out of tune, have no inspection stickers, burning every fluid, on 4 bald tires. But the stereo will shake the rivets out of the chassis.

You think those folks are gonna be all in on electric cars? They don't even know what electric cars is..... many of them don't even have an electric bill to pay.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:01 PM   #298
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
Why can't those people rotate their charging schedules? Or does each person drive their car from 100% to 0% every day?
It'd be nice in concept for people to always be able to stagger their recharging needs. Unrealistic in practice, as sooner or later there will be conflicts.

Norm
Old 02-01-2021, 01:08 PM   #299
cellsafemode

in tangental news,

The current ICE powered camaro sold half as much as the mustang and posted the worst year for sales since the end of the 4th gen in 2001/2.

It seems pretty obvious that even among the enthusiast car crowd (which is tiny as it is), they dont want what the camaro currently is. Even if it is technically a better performing car than it's competition.

One can come to the conclusion that this is because chevy listened too much to it's camaro loving enthusiasts when designing the 6th gen (given their market feedback directly resulted in the visibility/blind spot issues the car is repeatedly said to have and lack of rear seating space). Though probably far from the only reason for poor sales.

Given the sales figures of the current car, it's hard to see how chevy would want to continue the current gen until 2026 without something significant changing.

I dont think electricification is going to be enough since it seems buyers aren't buying the camaro because of how it looks and the practicality of driving/riding in it, not how it's powered.

Any serious consideration for the camaro would have to change the car enough to address those issues first and foremost before caring about what is under the hood. I'm not sure how you do that without a new platform than what the 6th gen is built on.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:13 PM   #300
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
in tangental news,

The current ICE powered camaro sold half as much as the mustang and posted the worst year for sales since the end of the 4th gen in 2001/2.

It seems pretty obvious that even among the enthusiast car crowd (which is tiny as it is), they dont want what the camaro currently is. Even if it is technically a better performing car than it's competition.

One can come to the conclusion that this is because chevy listened too much to it's camaro loving enthusiasts when designing the 6th gen (given their market feedback directly resulted in the visibility/blind spot issues the car is repeatedly said to have and lack of rear seating space). Though probably far from the only reason for poor sales.

Given the sales figures of the current car, it's hard to see how chevy would want to continue the current gen until 2026 without something significant changing.

I dont think electricification is going to be enough since it seems buyers aren't buying the camaro because of how it looks and the practicality of driving/riding in it, not how it's powered.

Any serious consideration for the camaro would have to change the car enough to address those issues first and foremost before caring about what is under the hood. I'm not sure how you do that without a new platform than what the 6th gen is built on.
It still confuses me how people have issues with visibility and rear seats. Adjust your mirrors properly, use them properly, and there's no issues. I backed a Camaro between two HD3500s at the dealer when I first drove one about 4 years ago. Without using the blindspot or camera stuff.

My Grandfather's 1985 Eldorado had a worse blind spot than the 6th gen, and I was driving that at 13 years old.

As for the back seat? I still would like to know who since 1967 has ever purchased a Camaro for the back seat.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:17 PM   #301
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Funny true story...

A bunch of people on here are currently charging their Camaro
Old 02-01-2021, 01:21 PM   #302
cellsafemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
It still confuses me how people have issues with visibility and rear seats. Adjust your mirrors properly, use them properly, and there's no issues. I backed a Camaro between two HD3500s at the dealer when I first drove one about 4 years ago. Without using the blindspot or camera stuff.

My Grandfather's 1985 Eldorado had a worse blind spot than the 6th gen, and I was driving that at 13 years old.

As for the back seat? I still would like to know who since 1967 has ever purchased a Camaro for the back seat.

it's not simply the power of suggestion that has absolutely everyone who talks about their experience in a camaro talking about the visibility.

Sure, you can work around it ...but if a driver can get a similar performing car for roughly the same amount and they dont have to work around the visibility, they'll go with that car apparently. Numbers speak for themselves, even among the enthusiast crowd, they choose the worse performing cars and it can't simply be because camaro drivers are just no longer buying new cars and no new ones are being born. They're abandoning the car.

And the target audience for the camaro doesn't buy it for the rear seats. All it takes is for a few situations where having usable rear seats would have been helpful for them to become a huge factor in their car purchase. It's not an insignificant car feature. And the camaro's current solution is not convenient at all if you ever need to have more than 1 passenger (not an uncommon situation for most drivers it would seem)
Old 02-01-2021, 01:34 PM   #303
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post

This would be a consideration for anyone with kids, which is probably a significant portion of the customer base. I'm 6'2" and make it work (though I need to move my seat more forward than I normally like), but the rear seat legroom is worse on the 6th gen than both the Mustang (barely) and Challenger (by a lot) and is even much smaller than my 4th gen Camaro.

The hardcore enthusiasts will make it work if they can, but the 'average shopper' might not.

If I could have gotten a Chevy version of the Cadillac ATS-V sedan (with LT1 / 6 speed) for Camaro's cost, I would have. That would have mitigated a lot of the 'trade-offs' that I ultimately accepted with the 6th gen Camaro.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
Old 02-01-2021, 01:38 PM   #304
FarmerFran

People also forget you can get some 4 door cars that are pretty darn peppy, at least peppy enough for the masses since introducing 300+ HP sedans.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:39 PM   #305
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
People also forget you can get some 4 door cars that are pretty darn peppy, at least peppy enough for the masses since introducing 300+ HP sedans.
My 4 door sedan has 507hp and 3 pedals.....

Just sayin...

Old 02-01-2021, 01:42 PM   #306
FarmerFran

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
My 4 door sedan has 507hp and 3 pedals.....

Just sayin...

And I bet it handles pretty well also
Old 02-01-2021, 02:17 PM   #307
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
There are nearly 2x that many gas stations in North Carolina alone
Electric charging stations are not used the same way gas stations are used. We’ve had Chevrolet Volts since 2012. Can probably count on my fingers the number of times we’ve used public charging stations. And most of those were because I could save $40 in parking by driving my wife’s Volt to GM HQ and plugging it into one of the public chargers and walking to Ford Field for the Detroit Lions games. I kid you not.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 02-01-2021, 02:20 PM   #308
cellsafemode

i think at < 30k sales and dropping and no hope of a platform change before 2026...

there are three things that could happen in the next 5ish years.

1. Chevy does nothing and lets this platform die since it's planning on using an entirely new one and needs the time to do so and it would be better than letting the name go dormant again

2. Chevy lets the car die and no longer be sold. Then it revives it some time in the future when the new platform is ready.

3. Chevy begins a drivetrain swap using the existing platform as a leaping off point to the new platform that will replace it after 2026. Whether that's some kind of hybrid or all ev setup, doesn't matter. If chevy can do "green" better than ford can without resorting to a CUV to do so, it might make ford look bad (dodge i dont think cares yet - assuming it's pony cars are even around after the merger stuff). Again, this would only be a stop-gap until the 7th gen comes. (edit, though i doubt it would be a measured success anywhere but on paper ...since it's unlikely that consumers are not buying the camaro (or pony cars in general) because of their fuel efficiency)

Closed Thread