Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-11-2021, 10:44 AM   #1
Village Idiot

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS
Has anyone done PPF by yourself?

I've been getting quotes to have PPF done on my 2019 SS and they've all come in the $900 range for front bumper only. This seems insane to me since the front bumpers on these cars are 90% vents that wouldn't even need to be covered. I just want to cover in between the hood and headlights, down around the fog lights, and the bottom lip piece.

If you've done it how hard was it? What material did you use? Any guides you followed?
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:12 AM   #2
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Its difficult, I wouldn't try unless you have some experience. After my paint job, I will be taking mine to get a new one put back on.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:13 AM   #3
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
I've been getting quotes to have PPF done on my 2019 SS and they've all come in the $900 range for front bumper only. This seems insane to me since the front bumpers on these cars are 90% vents that wouldn't even need to be covered. I just want to cover in between the hood and headlights, down around the fog lights, and the bottom lip piece.

If you've done it how hard was it? What material did you use? Any guides you followed?
I’ve done the areas just prior to the rear wheel wells and used 3m brand / self healing. I designed and precut the pieces. Install had some small water bubbles left over, which evaporated after a few days. But, don’t underestimate the difficulty factor, especially for the front bumper. If everyone could do it, shops wouldn’t be in business / charging what they do.

If you haven’t worked with the product, you’ll have a hard time coordinating how to properly lay it / heat / stretch / wetting / rewetting / resetting / curling edges , all while squeegeeing (assuming a pre cut piece) This is all while you try not to get debris under it. I would advice you not to install yourself, unless you’re willing to accept a substandard result. Believe me, I’d love to do the bumper section too...
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:38 AM   #4
Village Idiot

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
I’ve done the areas just prior to the rear wheel wells and used 3m brand / self healing. I designed and precut the pieces. Install had some small water bubbles left over, which evaporated after a few days. But, don’t underestimate the difficulty factor, especially for the front bumper. If everyone could do it, shops wouldn’t be in business / charging what they do.

If you haven’t worked with the product, you’ll have a hard time coordinating how to properly lay it / heat / stretch / wetting / rewetting / resetting / curling edges , all while squeegeeing (assuming a pre cut piece) This is all while you try not to get debris under it. I would advice you not to install yourself, unless you’re willing to accept a substandard result. Believe me, I’d love to do the bumper section too...
Not very confidence inspiring lol. I might just stay mindful of my distance from other cars and risk the front bumper then, not like there's really much paint there anyway.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:05 PM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i wrapped my bowties on my old car by myself but not a fan or wrap work lol would rather pay a pro
Old 01-11-2021, 01:17 PM   #6
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_johnny View Post
Its difficult, I wouldn't try unless you have some experience. After my paint job, I will be taking mine to get a new one put back on.
I would be certain that your paint is fully cured before adding any PPF, or there is a good chance that you will have issues later on. When that PPF is removed (for whatever reason it may be), there is a high risk of the paint being removed with the PPF.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 01:20 PM   #7
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
I've done some minor wrapping myself, carbon fiber vinyl on interior pieces, etc. I'm not sure that I would attempt a large project myself, just because the cost of the materials isn't that cheap and I have a good feeling I wouldn't be satisfied with the end result (I'm a perfectionist).

Do know that PPF is much like any other bodywork - often times you do get what you pay for. PPF is expensive if it is done properly; if another guy is a fraction of the price, there is a good reason. A good shop will remove the proper body panels, replace the badging, hide the seams whenever possible, etc.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 01:25 PM   #8
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
yea I've done pre-cut leading edge protection on my 17 Silverado, 18 SS and 17 ZL1 from Invisiblemask.com.

I would say the biggest thing I learn from the first time was making sure you stretch the mask enough to prevent creases on the rounded portions. They have a introduction guide on their website. It wasn't the first time I've ever done any type of vinyl but having an additional pair of hands would be greatly helpful. I managed to do it myself but it is extremely hard to do that, especially if its your first time. If you have never done any vinyl work before I would pay someone.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:39 PM   #9
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
I did some very small sections of 3m and it was ok. I tried a larger section and jacked it all up! Very hard.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 01:57 PM   #10
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I did most of my car and it's not easy, the front bumper is really difficult.

I did save a couple grand, but it also did take me about 4 full days of hard labor, and there's no guarantees it'll turn out well. I probably spent $500-600 on materials, and would say it's quite possible to waste hundreds of dollars and days of your time if you don't pull it off.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:49 PM   #11
7LitreC5

Drives: 18 Tahoe RST, 19 Z06
I did my ZL1 using a kit that I purchased from tintzoom.
7LitreC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:30 PM   #12
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
I have done several headlight kits they are small and went well. I plan on replacing the rocker panels myself this spring, but a bumper no way I would try it without some training and experience. When I had mine done they used a kit and I can see the lines but if I ever had it done again I would fork over some dollars and have Chicago Auto Pros do a seamless install.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:45 PM   #13
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
I would be certain that your paint is fully cured before adding any PPF, or there is a good chance that you will have issues later on. When that PPF is removed (for whatever reason it may be), there is a high risk of the paint being removed with the PPF.
Great point!
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:57 PM   #14
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
IMO you need to have a knack for it and/or gain a lot of experience before you'd want to tackle larger areas with body lines, or that near impossible front bumper.

Those youtube videos make it look easy, you just spray, lay it on, squeegee out the bubbles, cut the edges nice and even with an x-acto knife and boom, you're done. Well, not really, this is a tough job if you want quality, and I have nothing but respect for the pros that do a great job with PPF every day. I did small sections as a test, and there's no way I could do the entire car.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote