Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-08-2021, 09:01 PM   #1
Village Idiot

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS
Finally back in a GM vehicle from the dark side

3 weeks ago I made a huge mistake and bought a.... 2017 Mustang GT... I got it home and regretted it pretty quickly and found myself still looking at Camaros, even though I literally just bought the Mustang. So, today I went and picked up a Camaro. My first car was a 3rd gen Z28 so it's nice to be back in one 10 years later. I lost my ass on the Mustang trade in and loan, but I got an alright deal on the Camaro to make up for it. 2019 1SS, 12k miles, CPO, 1-owner, $35.3k OTD. Only option I knew I wanted was NPP, I didn't care about anything else.

First impressions:

- How is the Camaro not outselling the Mustang? I had the base model GT and now 1SS and the Camaro blows it out of the water on everything. Someone at GM needs to be punched in the forehead for poor marketing or something.

- It's nice to have a car with balls under 4k RPM again. And not sounding like a raspy 350z.

- Visibility isn't as bad as I expected compared to what a lot of people say online and during reviews. Besides the rear windshield I see out of the Camaro better oddly enough, especially over the hood. And I like this seating position so much more.

- The A10 is awesome. I typically always had a manual in my toys and didn't think I'd like the A10 but gave it a test drive anyway. So glad I did, because there's no way I'd ever come close to shifting that fast and smooth. GM/Ford did a good job there. Only downside is I can't push in the clutch and easily be obnoxious.

- These cars are thirsty as hell.

But here she is. Got her home earlier this evening and put away for the rest of winter. Already have wheels ordered and thinking about doing suspension so it handles a little better. I don't want to go too overboard though and void any warranties.

Also have to replace the middle fascia piece to a 2020/2021 model year. The bowtie placement is awful, that's priority #1.
Attached Images

Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:13 PM   #2
ThirdGenNut

Drives: 2020 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
3 weeks ago I made a huge mistake and bought a.... 2017 Mustang GT... I got it home and regretted it pretty quickly and found myself still looking at Camaros, even though I literally just bought the Mustang. So, today I went and picked up a Camaro. My first car was a 3rd gen Z28 so it's nice to be back in one 10 years later. I lost my ass on the Mustang trade in and loan, but I got an alright deal on the Camaro to make up for it. 2019 1SS, 12k miles, CPO, 1-owner, $35.3k OTD. Only option I knew I wanted was NPP, I didn't care about anything else.

First impressions:

- How is the Camaro not outselling the Mustang? I had the base model GT and now 1SS and the Camaro blows it out of the water on everything. Someone at GM needs to be punched in the forehead for poor marketing or something.

- It's nice to have a car with balls under 4k RPM again. And not sounding like a raspy 350z.

- Visibility isn't as bad as I expected compared to what a lot of people say online and during reviews. Besides the rear windshield I see out of the Camaro better oddly enough, especially over the hood. And I like this seating position so much more.

- The A10 is awesome. I typically always had a manual in my toys and didn't think I'd like the A10 but gave it a test drive anyway. So glad I did, because there's no way I'd ever come close to shifting that fast and smooth. GM/Ford did a good job there. Only downside is I can't push in the clutch and easily be obnoxious.

- These cars are thirsty as hell.

But here she is. Got her home earlier this evening and put away for the rest of winter. Already have wheels ordered and thinking about doing suspension so it handles a little better. I don't want to go too overboard though and void any warranties.

Also have to replace the middle fascia piece to a 2020/2021 model year. The bowtie placement is awful, that's priority #1.
Congrats!

media is the problem not gm.
300 ft/lbs at 1k!
mirrors are tiny but just right!
people say the tranny is great... well 450hp/450tq means you are never in the wrong gear!
30 mpg is fair in any car on the highyway!
springs make it look soo good!
ikon has a zl1 facia for under $500

Welcome!
ThirdGenNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:30 PM   #3
DC5

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Congratulations on your new purchase, and welcome back from the dark side.
DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:31 PM   #4
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Looks great and congrats! Gonna put the bowtie in the right place too, good to hear.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:57 PM   #5
Kratz74

Drives: None yet
Well you didn’t have a current Stang and went with the weaker 5.0. Why? Didn’t you know the 18+ are the stronger stangs which stock are a tad faster than a camaro? Why did you buy a 17 stang?
Kratz74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:00 AM   #6
Village Idiot

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratz74 View Post
Well you didn’t have a current Stang and went with the weaker 5.0. Why? Didn’t you know the 18+ are the stronger stangs which stock are a tad faster than a camaro? Why did you buy a 17 stang?
I'm aware, the facelift kind of reminds me of the catfish Camaros and I wasn't a fan of it at all. Then after buying it I realized just how clunky the MT-82 transmission is, how awful the base head unit really is for a 2017 model car, the trumpet exhaust note started to drive me nuts, and the seating position was pretty bad for me (this could probably be chalked up to me being shaped disproportionately and not the car).

So I don't see what the S550 hype is all about, it was an expensive lesson learned but oh well.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:49 AM   #7
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratz74 View Post
18+ GT are faster than an SS? Guess I never paid close enough attention. I would have bet on the camaro.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:43 AM   #8
ModernCamaroZ28Fan
LT1_Radenso

Drives: a 2 spd water bottle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
18+ GT are faster than an SS? Guess I never paid close enough attention. I would have bet on the camaro.
Depends on the driver, trims, and transmission.

ModernCamaroZ28Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:14 AM   #9
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Congrats on the new ride.

More bottom end power on these heavier newer Gen cars (not just the Camaro) is very noticeable on day to day driving.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:03 AM   #10
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
I am glad you repented from your sin, brother.....
Old 01-09-2021, 08:24 AM   #11
BluePhoenix

Drives: 2020 GMC Sierra AT4
Congrats! Great color choice!

1100 - 3/23/2023
2000 - 3/27/2023
3000 - 3/28/2023
3400 - 4/12/2023 — 4/24 TPW
3800 - 4/28/2023
5000 - 5/30/2023
6000 - 6/03/2023

2020 GMC Sierra AT4 6.2L Black
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:26 AM   #12
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Congrats! You certainly showed those haters on your SS vs SS1LE thread lol!
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:48 AM   #13
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Congrats! Funny thing. I traded my 2015 Mustang GT with catted lt's, JLT CAI, and PB dyno tune and could not believe how much better the Camaro felt. I bought another one in March 2020. I get 20-20.8 mpg daily driving and 25-27 highway, depending on how fast I go. Under 70 always yields the best MPG.
The only way the Mustang ever felt "fast" to me was at WOT, which I hardly ever do for too many reasons.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 02:01 PM   #14
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
I'm aware, the facelift kind of reminds me of the catfish Camaros and I wasn't a fan of it at all. Then after buying it I realized just how clunky the MT-82 transmission is, how awful the base head unit really is for a 2017 model car, the trumpet exhaust note started to drive me nuts, and the seating position was pretty bad for me (this could probably be chalked up to me being shaped disproportionately and not the car).

So I don't see what the S550 hype is all about, it was an expensive lesson learned but oh well.

Oh man nobody talks about this when it comes to base model Mustangs. Ford is still using that shitty head unit today.

It is so bad. I know people like to say 'I don't care about infotainment!' but the base unit is a ****ing disgrace.

See here:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr...-radio.107007/
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote