Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 04-08-2020, 01:44 PM   #1
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Soler Rework PTB Review

I have a 2SS with a PTB from another vendor. It was an improvement over the OEM TB but didn't include any shaft modifications to improve WOT airflow. The Soler PTB is getting good reviews and they offer a "rework" option where the price is based the option(s) you select. In my case I was interested in the shaftless high-pressure side. Their rework price was a fraction of what it would cost to start over with a new PTB.

I contacted Mike at Soler to see what improvements were possible with my PTB. He was familiar with my previous vendor's product and said they could definitely do the shaftless high-pressure side. He said that if I wanted the other options they would need to flow test my PTB before they knew what other changes were possible. I sent my PTB in to start the process. Mike was excellent to work with. He was always prompt to answer my questions and they processed my PTB and had it back to me within a few days of when they received it. In the end he was able to include the shaftless high-pressure side, sonic nozzles, and tapered lip with a final price that was still less that purchasing a new PTB. Mike said the flow tests showed a 37% improvement @ 30% TP and 10% @ 100% TP. Both were slightly above what he predicted in our previous discussions.

Today I was finally able to work on the car to install the Soler reworked PTB. In an abundance of caution I disconnected the battery last night to run the ECM relearn after the installation. The installation and ECM relearn went fine. The car is stock except for a GM CAI and Pray PIM. I have been driving it on the OEM TB for a while so that is the easiest comparison. The Soler PTB is a significant improvement over OEM and feels like a noticable improvement over the previous PTB. Acceleration is smooth through the entire throttle range. WOT was fun but street tires and dusty roads make a direct comparison difficult. I wanted to collect some actual performance data but that's hard to do with current state restrictions and I didn't want to wait to install the reworked PTB. Hopefully we will get through this soon and tracks will open back up so I can see how this improves my time at a track. Overall I'm very happy with the reworked PTB and the support from Mike. I would recommend this to anybody that wants to upgrade their current PTB to include the features on the Soler PTB.

Here a picture of the OEM TB on the left and the Soler reworked PTB on the right.
Attached Images

Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:04 PM   #2
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC

Drives: 2015 Corvette Stingray
Thank you very much for your kind words, Mark. It was a pleasure working w/ you on this.

Here's the full before and after of your particular unit and this is also what LT1 owners can expect. We have dropped the price of the rework from $225 to $175 if you include all features. You can also purchase individual features separately for $25, $50, or $100. Cleaning, reconditioning, and polishing are complementary no matter which option you get.
Attached Images

Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:02 AM   #3
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Wow...
Old 04-09-2020, 10:14 AM   #4
WhitesnakeSS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Will your new 91mm ported still work on a factory tune without tripping a code?
I have the V1 Mamo ported tb and it made my car feel awesome. So i was just wondering?
WhitesnakeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:50 AM   #5
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitesnakeSS View Post
I have the V1 Mamo ported tb and it made my car feel awesome. So i was just wondering?
My 2SS has the GM CAI so it includes the MAF recalibration that came with the CAI but not other changes to the car. I performed the ECM Relearn procedure that will be included in your installation instructions. I drove mine several times yesterday in mixed city and highway driving and no codes or problems.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:14 AM   #6
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
I have the Soler TB. My question is even though the throat has been ported its is not polished. What results if any would be achieved if the throat had a mirror polish done.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:39 PM   #7
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitesnakeSS View Post
Yes, it was designed with the factory calibration in mind. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2020, 01:50 PM   #8
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
I have the Soler TB. My question is even though the throat has been ported its is not polished. What results if any would be achieved if the throat had a mirror polish done.
Hello, Mack. Thank you very much. If you have one of ours it should have been as polished as shown on any picture on our website. Our apologies if that wasn't the case.

There are no results that can be measured accurately for the small effect polishing has. We know that a better surface finish is conducive to reduced skin friction, and we do it just because of this principle.

Again, no single detail, such as polishing, will be decisive by itself. It is the sum of all of them that allows us to get the edge over the OEM.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:22 PM   #9
sschons74

Drives: 16 Camaro 1SS & 82 Silverado C10
I also have Soler TB and I really like it. I will say the first one I got didn't work for my car. It threw code often and went into limp mode. But I just contacted Mike at Soler and I sent back for rework, it now works great, no codes. The first one I got had nice recessed machining off the shaft on back side, but the new one I got from them doesn't have that, just shaft-less front, shaft rounded in back and ported opening & maybe new TPS, but it works great now. It got rid of that awful dead spot on stock throttle tip in/launch. I am slightly interested in the Soler TC. Only mods I have are IM heatshield and green air filter, not sure why first one threw codes but maybe it was getting too much air and my computer couldn't adjust? I disconnected battery all night before doing install & relearn, but I have an early 16 model, not sure if that makes a difference? New Soler PTB they re-did quickly at no charge, works great, so much better than stock. More linear and snappy on punch it!
Attached Images

Last edited by sschons74; 11-27-2020 at 04:53 PM.
sschons74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:35 PM   #10
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
I've had mine for a few months now, and IMO it's the best bang for the buck mod you can do. Especially one that probably wouldn't void the warranty since it's not so visible
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote