Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-19-2021, 08:19 PM   #1
thebluecamaross

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM
Bent Driveshaft? Mount issues? HELP!

Hey guys,

I explained the following to my mechanic over the phone and he suspects my problem could be related to possible bent driveshaft or perhaps something called a sinister mount bearing? (I'm confirming tomorrow) but I want some council prior to.

[ THE PROBLEM ]

My 2010 SS Camaro's (117k miles ) gear shifter is shaking a lot more than usual.

All the symptoms + details.

* I took my car to the shop about a month ago to do some gasket replacements. one of them being the oil pan gasket. I ask to check the clutch since its been about 25k miles and I wanted them to inspect it (nothing wrong in the end). They assembled it and returned it to me.

Days later, shifter feels off and I hit a bump (not a big bump) and the shifter came our of 3rd gear and went to neutral. So it popped out of gear. I could basically apply little force to any gear and it'll switch to neutral without engaging the clutch (like theres no resistance).

-----

1) the shifter wobbles a lot during 20-40 mph then as speed increases it doesn't wobble as much.

2) no resistance when car is in a gear (hence why I believe any movement could pop it out of gear to neutral). Again I dont need to engage clutch for it to come out of gear.

3) I can still shift normally and the car doesn't lock out of gear.

4) The car vibrates (not OVERLY aggressive or shuttering) when I accelerate and at around 60mph but that is because i haven't aligned the car in 2 1/2 years and I'm due for it. I hear no clunking or any vibration directly underneath the car (like specifically caused by a bent shaft). Also no problems turning.

Could something be loose after the gasket install?

Any advice, guidance or direction is IMMENSELY appreciated.
thebluecamaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:23 PM   #2
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
I think he meant center, not sinister. We have a two piece driveshaft with a center support bearing.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 09:19 AM   #3
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Been in the driveshaft industry 46 years. While they certainly can and do bend, I’d check the flex disk (‘guibo’ ‘donut’, etc) mount bolts. The black flex disks (at trans and diff) with six mount holes are effectively the ‘u-joints’ in the shaft.* Although there is an actual u-joint in the center. These bolts coming loose are a known problem, especially if someone removed the driveshaft once and reused the hardware and-or didn’t retorque properly.

*u-joints aren’t used on the ends because there is nearly a zero angle that the shaft passes through.
Old 11-20-2021, 09:45 AM   #4
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Been in the driveshaft industry 46 years. While they certainly can and do bend, I’d check the flex disk (‘guibo’ ‘donut’, etc) mount bolts. The black flex disks (at trans and diff) with six mount holes are effectively the ‘u-joints’ in the shaft.* Although there is an actual u-joint in the center. These bolts coming loose are a known problem, especially if someone removed the driveshaft once and reused the hardware and-or didn’t retorque properly.

*u-joints aren’t used on the ends because there is nearly a zero angle that the shaft passes through.
Also on this same not, another member was having vibration issues and what he found was that the bolt holes in that rubber connector were very worn and wallowed out causing a lot of play in it, mostly I think it was at the front end. I couldn't find the post me made. He bought new couplers and was good after that.
Old 11-20-2021, 09:54 AM   #5
1JEWLDSSRS

Found it.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594873
Old 11-20-2021, 09:57 AM   #6
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Also on this same not, another member was having vibration issues and what he found was that the bolt holes in that rubber connector were very worn and wallowed out causing a lot of play in it, mostly I think it was at the rear diff end. I couldn't find the post me made. He bought new couplers and was good after that.
Good point. They’re not indestructible for sure. And like anything rubber or whatever ‘rubber-like’ material they’re made from, they can deteriorate over time. Once that happens you can bend or break the metal bands that are sandwiched in the disk. And I suppose it’s possible to tweak the thing from over torque too.

I’ve seen all metal ‘guibos’ in other applications. Kind of a laminated series in a six point star shape. I believe that was a static pump driveshaft of some sort. The rubber helps dampen torsional vibration in an automotive app.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:15 AM   #7
thebluecamaross

Quote:

---------
I took it to the mechanic. He just drove it, and pointed to that center support bearing for the drive shaft. I told him I wanted him to check the car thoroughly on tuesday.

He also said that it's a sold together and it's not sold separately, is that true?

I just dont see how that bearing can only really be messing with the gear shifter causing it to wobble... yeah there's some vibration, but it feels no different than the vibration I had months ago. I don't hear any clanking or anything either.

In the meantime, I want to be able to inspect on my own. I'll try to have a look at the things you mentioned.
Old 11-20-2021, 02:58 PM   #8
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Good point. They’re not indestructible for sure. And like anything rubber or whatever ‘rubber-like’ material they’re made from, they can deteriorate over time. Once that happens you can bend or break the metal bands that are sandwiched in the disk. And I suppose it’s possible to tweak the thing from over torque too.

I’ve seen all metal ‘guibos’ in other applications. Kind of a laminated series in a six point star shape. I believe that was a static pump driveshaft of some sort. The rubber helps dampen torsional vibration in an automotive app.
Yes sir, they don't last forever, especially if you drive the car like it is meant to be driven, like most of us!! lol.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:08 PM   #9
thebluecamaross

Quote:
Yes sir, they don't last forever, especially if you drive the car like it is meant to be driven, like most of us!! lol.
Is it possible to buy the center piece bearing without having to buy a whole new drive shaft like they suggest? Or is it not worth doing that?
Old 11-21-2021, 09:50 AM   #10
1JEWLDSSRS

I'll have to do some digging, but I think I saw somewhere on here that the center portion can be replaced. I'll also check with my Chevy mechanic tomorrow and see if I can get a part number for it. I replaced my driveshaft with a 1 pc aluminum one from DSS..
Old 11-21-2021, 07:55 PM   #11
thebluecamaross

Quote:
I'll have to do some digging, but I think I saw somewhere on here that the center portion can be replaced. I'll also check with my Chevy mechanic tomorrow and see if I can get a part number for it. I replaced my driveshaft with a 1 pc aluminum one from DSS..

Yeah man any help is beyond appreciated. I seriously don't want to buy a new shaft if not necessary. Are you in the south florida area? If you know a mechanic down here I'd love a second opinion and perhaps an install job. Thank you!!
Old 11-22-2021, 08:50 AM   #12
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluecamaross View Post
Yeah man any help is beyond appreciated. I seriously don't want to buy a new shaft if not necessary. Are you in the south florida area? If you know a mechanic down here I'd love a second opinion and perhaps an install job. Thank you!!
Good morning blue,, here is the part number for the center bearing for the DS..

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...aring-22810753

Tags
bearings, drive shaft, loose, mounts