#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 12-09-2019, 03:30 PM   #1
GermanMuscle

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Purchase Advice / Thoughts on SS 1LE vs GrandSport

Hi Everyone,

I’m in the market for a new fun car. I’m torn between a new 2019 Camaro SS 1LE and a slightly used C7 GrandSport with about 5000 miles on it. The price difference is about $12k.
I’d like some opinions on what your thoughts are on the two cars. Although I have test driven both hopefully someone can shed some light on the differences when you push these cars to the limit?

I’m just not sure if the extra $10k-$15k for the GS is worth it? The money I would save on the 1LE could be used for some serious mods and blow a GS away in a straight line and possibly even on the track.

On the other hand I’m worried that, if I get the 1LE I will regret not getting the Chevy “flagship” a couple months down the road. I’m also thinking that a Manual C7 GS will hold its value better, since it will be the last generation Corvette with a Manual.

Decisions, decisions, decisions... does anyone have any advice?
GermanMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:39 PM   #2
Jimbeau11

Drives: '18 Black SS 1LE; '01 Corvette Z06
I went through this same deliberation and decided on the Camaro 1LE in October of 2018. I had a C5 Z06 before and while I love the Corvette GS, I don't regret my decision for a minute.

The 1LE is simply a blast to drive. I daily it during the summer and probably 3k of my 10k miles are on the track, where my wife and I share the car.

The handling and brakes are fantastic and despite the extra weight I can hold my own pretty well against my friend's GS on the track.

In the end the performance value of this car is just amazing. I still love Corvettes and my wife knows the C8 is on my list, but for now I'm in love with my 1LE.
Jimbeau11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
Ventura 1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
The other advantage is the slightly by picking (NEW) 1LE , your getting extra amount of warranty coverage and absolute No wear from being driven. Brakes/tires etc...

As for recouping value the GS would be the winner for keepsake plus advantages of being lighter track/performance and a bit more refine for Daily Driver.

12K difference you can split that into what you like to do.
1) Save the 12K and apply to mods on the 1LE after warranty
2) Spend the 12K on the GS and enjoy the heck out of it

Personally my next adventure would be the C8 in about 5 to 7 years. Used most likely coming off an lease with the performance package.
Ventura 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #4
GermanMuscle

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Thanks for the input guys! I think I'm leaning towards the 1LE at this point and putting the $12k towards some mods. I loved my 2016 SS, so I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it. Also like the interior of the Camaros better. Exterior I think the Corvette has the better back but the 1LE wins the front for me.

I'm "only" 26 and want to get into tracking cars and I honestly probably won't even know/feel a difference between a 1LE and GS for a veeeeery long time, would you guys agree?
GermanMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:59 PM   #5
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
If the plan is to get into tracking, get the 1LE and focus on spending the extra money on track time with a group that has instructors. The only mods you'll need when starting are driver mods. The 1LE will be fine stock with the track prep guide mods for the 1st year or 2. You'll also need the extra money for all the consumables and maintenance.
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:04 AM   #6
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
$12,000 buys a lot of tires and brake pads....
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #7
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Back seat was the decision maker for me. Also have you seen the video below?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RWYd3Jw2zn0
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #8
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventura 1LE View Post
The other advantage is the slightly by picking (NEW) 1LE , your getting extra amount of warranty coverage and absolute No wear from being driven. Brakes/tires etc...

As for recouping value the GS would be the winner for keepsake plus advantages of being lighter track/performance and a bit more refine for Daily Driver.

12K difference you can split that into what you like to do.
1) Save the 12K and apply to mods on the 1LE after warranty
2) Spend the 12K on the GS and enjoy the heck out of it

Personally my next adventure would be the C8 in about 5 to 7 years. Used most likely coming off an lease with the performance package.
I think I can agree with you everywhere but the part in bold. I would argue the alpha chassis Camaro is much better for daily refinement than a C7 Vette, especially once miles are racked up and Vette rattle/squeak sets in. It's also more spacious which makes for a much more comfortable ride for those of us above 6 ft.
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #9
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matos1LE View Post
I think I can agree with you everywhere but the part in bold. I would argue the alpha chassis Camaro is much better for daily refinement than a C7 Vette, especially once miles are racked up and Vette rattle/squeak sets in. It's also more spacious which makes for a much more comfortable ride for those of us above 6 ft.
It is much better at the limits too!!!

The C7 and every Corvette before it wants to snap oversteer. The front end is much better on the Corvettes than the rear-end. It is because of the inherent design of the rear transverse leaf springs.

The Alpha chassis is more confidence inspiring and behaves at the limits.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:05 AM   #10
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
I'd echo all the above responses and add:

1) Camaro 6 speed is much better than Vette 7 speed (better gearing and easier to shift as at least some folks tend to miss shifts with the 7 gear box)

2) the Camaro Alpha platform is one of the best handling suspensions in the world, very fast, incredibly well balanced and easy to push at the limit (subject to skill of course).
At the same time even some pros find the Vette a bit nervous at the limit.

3) Camaro OEM tires are very fast (more track vs street tire) yet inexpensive vs Cup2s (which offer virtually the same performance). So you'll be spending less $ on track consumables.

4) spend the money saved on the biggest mod there is: driver education. So, track fees, tires, fuel, fluids and brakes of course. If you're serious this will add up to a fairly big amount per season, so dont waste your money trying to improve this car as it needs absolutely nothing except for some cosmetic add ons to protect paint.

5) regardless of what you get, read the manual regarding break in procedure incl fluid changes. This is important not as much for the engine but electronic diff, which works very hard in these cars.

6) bottom line: SS 1LE is a mirror of GS mechanically (suspension excepted) with a bit more weight but 2 extra seats, for tons less money.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #11
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
just echoing what others are saying about putting that $12000 into seat time instead of mods. It's amazing how little you have to do to take these cars to the track, just fluid and an alignment. Well, i would budget for a non-track set wheels/tires to preserve the track ones.

Heck, i've even wondered if the v6 1le would have been better for me, just because ~$10k buys a lot of seat time, and the consumables and track insurance would be less.

Last edited by Hops; 12-10-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:47 PM   #12
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Anvil Garage View Post
$12,000 buys a lot of tires and brake pads....
This right here! That’s at least 2-3 years worth of tires and brakes depending on how much you track it.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #13
keystonemedical

Drives: 2019 ZL1 / LE , 2014 CTS V
I would buy the Camaro, Personally, Im not in the Vette age bracket yet, even though Im getting there.
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:18 PM   #14
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by keystonemedical View Post
I would buy the Camaro, Personally, Im not in the Vette age bracket yet, even though Im getting there.
I feel like that bracket is no longer a real thing, so much as a lingering perception. It started dying from the C6 Z06. The C7 really brought the car forward to where plenty of young guys my age have and want them. Granted, $60,000+ cars will always have a larger amount of older owners because your average person my age and younger simply can't swing it until they are older. If I fit comfortably in a C7, I might have bought one. The C8 is supposed to have more room and I fully see myself in one a few years down the line.
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote