Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 04-07-2020, 09:38 PM   #15
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraps0f View Post
What about using ozone generators in the car and letting it air out sealed overnight?

According to the EPA, the level of ozone needed would need to be 5-10 times higher than public heath standard in order to decontaminate. It also won't penetrate porous surfaces like vinyl and leather.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:41 PM   #16
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
TL/DR: No to alcohol. Yes to a post-cleaning conditioner.

Long version:

Viruses don't "soak into" leather. They sit on the top surface in the goo you ooze when you smear your skin oils/tears/snot from face touching or when you breath/speak/cough/sneeze your sputum onto the surface.

Sorry to say, but alcohol at the >70% concentration required for COVID19 disinfectant and is probably the last thing I would recommend on anything made of leather. It's really harsh and will prematurely age leathers and the tanned finishes on them. To kill the virus, you have to have the alcohol in contact for 3 minutes and in that time it's going to really do a number on your steering wheel.

On the other hand, soap dissolves the fatty acids that coronavirus shells are made of on contact, literally disintegrating them more or less instantly.

So mechanical agitation with a soapy water rag/sponge will be best, IMO. After that or one of the "quarternary ammonium compound" based sanitizing wipes which will be more convenient "on the go" and a lot less harsh on the leather than alcohol. You need the mechanical agitation to break up the dried sputum, and the wet soap (or QA chemicals) will dissolve the dried bits and kill the virus.

Then wipe dry and then use a leather conditioner to protect.

As to ozone, it may help reduce the surface life of the virus, but I've not seen anything in the literature. The EPA says no on their FAQ site. IMO, an hour or two baking in the sun will do far more to disinfect because virus fatty acids melt at elevated temps and 840 watts/sq-meter of UVA/UVB laden sunlight is a very effective disinfectant.

Yes the corona virus has a lipid layer coating, meaning it is easily killed with soapy water.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:42 PM   #17
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Yes the corona virus has a lipid layer coating, meaning it is easily killed with soapy water.
+1 Yes soapy water = best!
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:49 AM   #18
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Our new Interior Detailer now has Microban. All in one formula cleans, shine & protects with built in antimicrobial technology.

https://adamspolishes.com/collection...erior-detailer

Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:24 AM   #19
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Everyones best bet at this point is to carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer in their vehicles. I do this, before I get in the vehicle if I have to go out, I clean my hands with sanitizer, this say anything I touch in the vehicle should be free of anything from my hands. Just be real careful with any type of antibacterial or disinfectant and especially mentioned already alcohol on interiors in vehicles. Leather, plastics, and the dyes on those materials can easily be ruined.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:03 AM   #20
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
Everyones best bet at this point is to carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer in their vehicles. I do this, before I get in the vehicle if I have to go out, I clean my hands with sanitizer, this say anything I touch in the vehicle should be free of anything from my hands. Just be real careful with any type of antibacterial or disinfectant and especially mentioned already alcohol on interiors in vehicles. Leather, plastics, and the dyes on those materials can easily be ruined.

There is no hand sanitizer available in my state AT ALL. I carry a bottle (almost empty) of 70% alcohol, the concentration that kills corona virus, and a microfiber towel to wipe steering wheel, levers, buttons, surfaces and my hands.

I keep a bottle of 2TBS bleach to 2 qts water and a microfiber rag to wipe down things like ATM surfaces, grocery carts, ALL my grocery packaging, etc.

AND I STILL GOT SICK!!!!!!!!!

I feel almost normal today, 8 days after first feeling symptoms.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:21 AM   #21
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Won't plain old sunlight disinfect the car, especially if you leave it out for a few days?

All that heat �� has to kill viruses eventually.

Last edited by indyz; 04-09-2020 at 08:55 PM.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:29 AM   #22
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
There is no hand sanitizer available in my state AT ALL. I carry a bottle (almost empty) of 70% alcohol, the concentration that kills corona virus, and a microfiber towel to wipe steering wheel, levers, buttons, surfaces and my hands.

I keep a bottle of 2TBS bleach to 2 qts water and a microfiber rag to wipe down things like ATM surfaces, grocery carts, ALL my grocery packaging, etc.

AND I STILL GOT SICK!!!!!!!!!

I feel almost normal today, 8 days after first feeling symptoms.
Oh that stinks...I had a huge bottle before all of this craziness, and a few small travel size bottles. I found some on Amazon, no idea when it will be here though.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:46 AM   #23
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyz View Post
Won't plain old sunlight disinfect the car, especially if you leave it out for a few eays?

All that heat �� has to kill viruses eventually.
UV rays will kill the virus. Heat from the sun will not.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:47 AM   #24
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam's Polishes View Post
Our new Interior Detailer now has Microban. All in one formula cleans, shine & protects with built in antimicrobial technology.

To be clear:

Does Microban kill corona viruses?
Old 04-10-2020, 11:04 AM   #25
EJR8402

Drives: 2019 Red Hot 1SS "Scarlett"
I just watched this one from Pan the Organizer the other night, and he has some pretty good tips:

EJR8402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:27 AM   #26
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam's Polishes View Post

Of course you come out with this now that i just got a gallon of your interior cleaner a month ago.

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote