Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-14-2019, 05:26 PM   #29
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
a sc is going to max out your fuel system. if your going to do that plan on a LT4 fuel system. with a cam you get the 38% fuel lobe so you get more fuel.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:17 PM   #30
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric10905 View Post
I haven't filled the cart and ordered the items yet... and i must say,i do keep flip flopping on doing just that - go with a single, mod - SC. I like the things i read on Procharger, and seemingly lower IAT. but it is more than i wanted to spend on round 1. I just stumbled across someone who noted one of the retailers with ~$5k price for an LT4 system. I will look at that as well... What i do like on this route is, short some BMR additions, I'd be done.

Thanks for sharing the numbers!
Just hang in there a bit and wait for one of the LT4 guys to upgrade to a bigger blower and go that way. Yes, it's definitely more $$ for starting mods but then you have a nice sleeper car and you're done.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:22 PM   #31
Driski

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric10905 View Post
Thanks, in my early stages here your step up is what i am leaning towards. In part due to sound, but in part due to cost. The headers (kooks or otherwise it seems) are pretty expensive, given the anticipated gain. E85 is in my plans as well. the plan at this point is addressing the intake system up to heads (including head porting if i can talk myself out of the $$), exhaust system, and fuel type.

Curious, any idea what hp you picked up with the kooks and green cats? (or was it with the E85 at same time)
No dyno before the headers but calculated about a 35 hp gain. Then another 23 hp after that with the E85 on the dyno. end result is 445 rwhp. Also had the AFM disabled. The car is way more fun to drive with that gone.

Calculated (15% loss) whp 386.75
Dyno after headers and green cats whp 422
Dyno after E85 whp 445.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Driski; 06-15-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Driski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:02 AM   #32
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Drives: 2018 2SS, Black, A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
a sc is going to max out your fuel system. if your going to do that plan on a LT4 fuel system. with a cam you get the 38% fuel lobe so you get more fuel.
read that as well... most guys indicate they need the lt4 fuel injectors/pumps esp with e85. maybe even without the e85... guess there is a reason Chevy did different injector/pump on the zl1, and not just add the SC.
as you can see, i am flip flopping, even when i'm just about to start. the concern with the sc is just this... other costs and before i know it, i'll be at double what i was going to spend on stage 1.
And, since i was bargain shopping as i bought the car, didn't get everything i would have wanted namely the 1LE with wider tires. Even before doing bolt ons, the cars are traction limited (thus my intent on some bmr parts). But thought about going wider with tires/wheels. dang, wheels are expensive. So, i might just stay bolt on because i'll need to address other things. Somewhere on here, i read someone sum it up well - spinning ain't winning.

Thanks for reply!
Eric10905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:08 AM   #33
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driski View Post
No dyno before the headers but calculated about a 35 hp gain. Then another 23 hp after that with the E85 on the dyno. end result is 445 rwhp. Also had the AFM disabled. The car is way more fun to drive with that gone.

Calculated (15% loss) whp 386.75
Dyno after headers and green cats whp 422
Dyno after E85 whp 445.
Hope this helps.
it does, and thanks for sharing the results. that's a nice increase with just those two mods. That much change has to be regristerable in the seat of the pants dyno as well.

right before i start this, i have to take the car in to address the dang A8 shudder it has. they only did a system update last time and said it was fixed. not. so, wanted to get that in before modding and them telling me no way for warranty claims after that. So, while i want a create something that is even more a beast, i figure i might be changing out the torque converter on my own dime after stage 1. so, i'm allocating a few bucks for that.

Anyone ever heard of changing an A8 for an A10? i had a loaner with an A10, and i did like it.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:38 PM   #34
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
ya i have more into my 2SS then a i could find a new ZL1 for and im not even cammed. i Should have just bought a ZL1.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:06 AM   #35
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
ya i have more into my 2SS then a i could find a new ZL1 for and im not even cammed. i Should have just bought a ZL1.

I resemble that remark, but what's the fun in that lol! At least I'm cammed, and I'm guessing that, before long, you will be too...

To the op: welcome and Gig 'em from a '81 BS ME alum!
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:14 PM   #36
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
I resemble that remark, but what's the fun in that lol! At least I'm cammed, and I'm guessing that, before long, you will be too...

To the op: welcome and Gig 'em from a '81 BS ME alum!
Thanks, as well as to Jcunningham. Yeah, i almost went with a ZL1 that they had a super price on as well. I just didn't like the color and options (or lack thereof) on it. And they did such a great price on the SS, that it was still a sizable delta. but as you note, the journey in this case can be part of the Fun!
I had a lot more time than money, co-oped 5 times, might have set a record for how long i was there.... finished as Class of '88, BSME as well. gig'em!
Old 11-22-2023, 01:32 PM   #37
ilovemusclecar

Drives: '23 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux_tigerss View Post
I put 2" TSP headers no cats to my factory NPP catback. With the NPP valves closed it isn't much louder than stock. NPP valves open..... wake the dead.

Before I did headers I had pulled the fuse on my NPP. Occasionally I would wake the wife and kids in the morning when I left for work. After headers I put the fuse back in and have been starting it in stealth mode. I haven't woken anyone since then.

So I guess to summarize, headers with NPP valves closed is quieter than factory manifolds with NPP valves open.
Do you have cold start tuned out? I'm considering headers to go with my Corsa NPP. Planning to tune cold start out and the NPP to stay open in sport mode so I can keep the fuse in. I really need the car to be acceptable with the neighbors as I leave in the morning at 3 AM.
ilovemusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote