Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #1
mspeed1LE

Drives: ZL1 1LE SUMMIT WHITE
Track Alignment at Dealership

8am appointment today. It's now 4:10 pm. Still waiting. "Senior" tech working on car.
First time doing one of these. Funny thing is that the specs in his computer system are different from the ones in my Owner's manual! He's going with the manual but... zzzzzzzzzz.......
2018 ZLE * StudioRSR Half Cage * SkidmarkGarage Rear Seat Delete * ZL1ADDONS Lift Pads * Roto-Fab CAI * Forgestar CF5-V's * Michelin PS4S * Racequip 6 Pt. Harnesses * Sub-strap Brackets by Carmena Performance * Speedhut Shift Light * Leroy Eng. Hidden Hitch (for the TYR RAT)* Gen5DIY Rapid Flash 3rd Brake Light * KOOKS 2" LT * Green Cats * AWE Cat-back Track Edition *

mspeed1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:25 PM   #2
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
I’d leave. Go to a shop who knows what they are doing.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:05 PM   #3
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
I got mine done at a shop that does Porsche stuff. I gave them the specs and they hit it within .05 with zero drama.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:36 AM   #4
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
most dealers have issues with a "track alignment" as the specs aren't readily available to them. Even if you give them a sheet with specs, they will likely F it up.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:21 PM   #5
mblum

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Camaro
I also agree with the previous reply's, don't let the stealership do the alignment unless you personally trust them.

I made a photo copy of the alignment specs from the performance supplement and made sure the service director and tech both knew that I was asking for. I came back to pick the car up and looked at the spec sheet, it wasn't perfect but was close enough for me at the time. That weekend I had my first track day. I was not impressed with the car at all on track, it didn't feel stable and had a bunch of under steer. Pulled into the pits and could tell there was not enough negative chamber from tire wear. I tried a few more sessions before calling it a day. Once at home I got the car in the air to inspect the adjustment bolts that are used to set the alignment. Everyone of them was still aligned with the factory blue pen mark and showed no signs of being loosened or tightened. It appeared my dealer didn't even attempt to align the car and charged me for an alignment and gave me a bogus spec sheet.

I was lucky enough to find a local suspension shop that had a new Hunter in floor alignment machine that was willing to do the alignment. I was even able to watch the tech through the process. He hit the specs spot on and let me set in the driver seat to load the suspension as it would be on track. A few weeks later I was able to hit the track again and the car felt amazing. Nowhere near the under steer and the corner exit felt great and could put the power down.

Getting the specs right is well worth the effort if your going to track the car.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:04 PM   #6
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
I went with a local tech that has been doing my track alignments on other cars for years. Our ZL1 was the first '16 up Camaro the shop had done. I think part of the issue is that most shops just haven't seen a lot of these cars yet, much less done performance work. Dealers don't really have that excuse, but I would never take a car to a dealer for anything but warranty work.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #7
LJenkins1LE

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I wouldn’t blast dealers too much. My dealer’s alignment tech never had a 1LE in the shop before for the track alignment and nailed it. He even set it where I wanted it regardless of what the supplement called for.

I have used other shops for different track cars, and they could never get the alignment where I wanted it. It really boils down to finding a place, dealer or non-dealer, that you can trust to perform the work without issue.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:13 AM   #8
MikeEM1

Drives: Tracks: 18' ZL1 1LE
I did the fronts in my friends garage, then went to a race shop for the final touches and adjustments. It was done in less than an hour for alignment.
Don't go to the dealer for race car stuff.
AWE Track w/PLP
APR GTC300 wing / Singular Endplates
ASC Splitter / PA tunnels
MFR Engineering Custom Diffuser
Race Louvers Fender Vents
APEX SM10 & ARC8

For sale: 2018 OEM ZL1 1LE Wing

12' Nissan GT-R SOLD
MikeEM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:11 PM   #9
mspeed1LE

Drives: ZL1 1LE SUMMIT WHITE
Lesson learned...��
2018 ZLE * StudioRSR Half Cage * SkidmarkGarage Rear Seat Delete * ZL1ADDONS Lift Pads * Roto-Fab CAI * Forgestar CF5-V's * Michelin PS4S * Racequip 6 Pt. Harnesses * Sub-strap Brackets by Carmena Performance * Speedhut Shift Light * Leroy Eng. Hidden Hitch (for the TYR RAT)* Gen5DIY Rapid Flash 3rd Brake Light * KOOKS 2" LT * Green Cats * AWE Cat-back Track Edition *

mspeed1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:04 AM   #10
KeithO

Drives: 01 Z28, 1990 NASCAR Busch North Car
Years ago when I road raced a 4th gen Firebird, I also had problems finding a shop that would do a requested alignment rather than what was "in the computer". At that time, what I eventually did was visited shops and talked to the senior tech by just showing up at the shop without the car. You can tell in about 2 minutes whether the guy is interested in this or not. You don't want to take your car somewhere where the tech isn't interested in the work.

Believe it or not, I eventually settled on an NTB shop near where I worked. As they learned to deal with it and as they realized that having a full race car in their shop blew normal customers away (marketing), they welcomed me when I needed alignments checks and settings and allowed me under the car with the tech while the work was going on.

Take the time to check around and talk to people. You can go from being viewed as a PITA to a welcome customer very quickly if you find the right shop.
KeithO is offline   Reply With Quote