Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-08-2019, 06:37 PM   #15
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I'm just saying that 90s always on max voltage pumps needed to be replaced 100K or 7 to 10 years. Modern variable voltage pumps seem to last much longer. In fact out of my direct family, I don't remember the last time I change a fuel pump..... I change a couple of Ford voltage regulators for fuel pumps. I can only conclude that variable voltage pumps work and have taken a pain in the rear repair item off the table at least for my direct family.

For a 3/4 race car; that is not a daily driver, sure always on, less complicated, which is always good at that power level.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:45 PM   #16
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I'm just saying that 90s always on max voltage pumps needed to be replaced 100K or 7 to 10 years. Modern variable voltage pumps seem to last much longer. In fact out of my direct family, I don't remember the last time I change a fuel pump..... I change a couple of Ford voltage regulators for fuel pumps. I can only conclude that variable voltage pumps work and have taken a pain in the rear repair item off the table at least for my direct family.

For a 3/4 race car; that is not a daily driver, sure always on, less complicated, which is always good at that power level.
I understand. Unfortunately no one seems to make a viable option like that now so I'll have to go with an auxiliary pump triggered by boost.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:55 PM   #17
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
The JCM BAP can be either TPS or boost activated and people have had great luck with it.
Dixie ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:34 PM   #18
oldman

https://www.jegs.com/i/Aeromotive/02...gn=retargeting

This is what we need at this price or even cheaper.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:43 PM   #19
Umbriel

Quote:
https://www.jegs.com/i/Aeromotive/02...gn=retargeting

This is what we need at this price or even cheaper.
That would be nice, I'd be buying it today if it would work with our cars.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #20
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
I have a max effort fuel system that I think checks all the boxes but it is fairly complex. it is good for at least 2000hp on e85.

the issues I see with the multi pump drop in set up is don't you loose the basket and risk sucking air when the fuel sloshes? don't you have the same issue with a typical aux pump that taps the rear of the tank? either set up I wouldn't be worried racing if I was under 1/2 a tank.

even though people have done it for years I wouldn't want a return only set up, at least not one that pumps fuel constantly through the rails.

I have a stock in tank pump. right as it leaves the tank I hit a t fitting with a .065 jet built into it. this is about a 100hp fuel jet. the t feeds a pair of surge tanks with 4 pumps built into them that I can stage as needed.

99% of the time the stock pump runs and is controlled by the factory controller and only pumps as much fuel as needed to maintain the programmed fuel pressure. there is that ~100hp worth of fuel that cycles to the surge tanks and once full back to the factory tank. there is a return style regulator up in the front of the car but I have it set higher than the programed fuel pressure so it doesn't return anything until the aux pumps kick on.

when I floor it the surge tank pumps kick in. the regulator up front is set to something pretty high like 80psi so once these pumps kick on it turns into a return set up with fresh fuel flowing through the rails. this set up maintains the factory basket and allows you to run low fuel levels. it also does not heat the fuel. I would have to look back at my math but this set up should be good for something like 1400hp on e85 for 20 seconds and 2400hp on e85 for something like 10 seconds.

it was pretty expensive but not crazy money. the surge tanks were under $100 each, the pumps were something like $165 each. it is the fittings and y's and stuff like that that adds up.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #21
Umbriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
I have a max effort fuel system that I think checks all the boxes but it is fairly complex. it is good for at least 2000hp on e85.

the issues I see with the multi pump drop in set up is don't you loose the basket and risk sucking air when the fuel sloshes? don't you have the same issue with a typical aux pump that taps the rear of the tank? either set up I wouldn't be worried racing if I was under 1/2 a tank.

even though people have done it for years I wouldn't want a return only set up, at least not one that pumps fuel constantly through the rails.

I have a stock in tank pump. right as it leaves the tank I hit a t fitting with a .065 jet built into it. this is about a 100hp fuel jet. the t feeds a pair of surge tanks with 4 pumps built into them that I can stage as needed.

99% of the time the stock pump runs and is controlled by the factory controller and only pumps as much fuel as needed to maintain the programmed fuel pressure. there is that ~100hp worth of fuel that cycles to the surge tanks and once full back to the factory tank. there is a return style regulator up in the front of the car but I have it set higher than the programed fuel pressure so it doesn't return anything until the aux pumps kick on.

when I floor it the surge tank pumps kick in. the regulator up front is set to something pretty high like 80psi so once these pumps kick on it turns into a return set up with fresh fuel flowing through the rails. this set up maintains the factory basket and allows you to run low fuel levels. it also does not heat the fuel. I would have to look back at my math but this set up should be good for something like 1400hp on e85 for 20 seconds and 2400hp on e85 for something like 10 seconds.

it was pretty expensive but not crazy money. the surge tanks were under $100 each, the pumps were something like $165 each. it is the fittings and y's and stuff like that that adds up.
Who built it and how much total do you have in it? I'm looking for something that I can eventually be 1000+ at the wheels with. The day will never see more than 1200 at the wheels it I ever decide to go that far. Right now it looks like the best thing for me, looking for 700-750 at the wheels, is the LT4 high side with an auxiliary pump on the low side. After that I was going to look into port injection or the high DI injectors.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:22 AM   #22
oldman

Quote:

Yep, I installed the DSX pickup a little higher (less than 1.2") in back of the tank then DSX recommends, I estimate that 1/2 tank is minimum to prevent fuel slosh from partially cavitating the pickup. Lower mounting is not flat and this was my first effort. 1/4 tank does cavitate on my setup.

Quote:

Seems like a good and interesting solution. I think for any autoX car this would be even more helpful...
Old 06-10-2019, 11:39 AM   #23
parish8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
Who built it and how much total do you have in it? I'm looking for something that I can eventually be 1000+ at the wheels with. The day will never see more than 1200 at the wheels it I ever decide to go that far. Right now it looks like the best thing for me, looking for 700-750 at the wheels, is the LT4 high side with an auxiliary pump on the low side. After that I was going to look into port injection or the high DI injectors.

I put it together myself. You could do it with just one surge tank and a pair of aux pumps. Something like the deashwerks surge tank and a pair of their IL350 pumps. There is also a double or triple pump set up from someone else in a round surge tank that looks pretty sweet.

Some people use the stock pump to fill the surge tank and then just run a return style fuel system off the surge tank. With my set up you still get all your normal driving fueling just like before with a non return set up and you get some wot fueling from the factory pump.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:53 AM   #24
parish8

This is my tap for the fuel feed to the surge tanks. You do have to find a way to return from the surge tank to the main tank.
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2019, 12:20 PM   #25
oldman

https://www.foreinnovations.com/category_s/558.htm

Say about $2500 for the triple all in.. DSX is a cheaper solution for any "normal" build.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:28 PM   #26
Umbriel

Quote:
https://www.foreinnovations.com/category_s/558.htm

Say about $2500 for the triple all in.. DSX is a cheaper solution for any "normal" build.
Yeah that's a lot of money but if you're are planning on making north of 1000 maybe it would be worth doing up front?