Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-27-2018, 09:02 AM   #1
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Extended lug studs

Posted this in wheels and tires, but might show more relevance here.

Hi guys, I wanted to reach out to those of you running the Silverado Studs on your cars. I will be running a 5mm spacer for clearance up front with my Apex wheels.

I see some of you all are running either APR, or the longer silverado studs however the silverado studs does not look like it has the same knurl Diameter as ours. The camaro has a 16.01MM Knurl, where the silverado studs have a 15.70mm Knurl. Now, do i doubt that a .31mm difference will make a difference? No, but i wanted to check to see how they have been fitting.

With that being said, you could potentially use a GM 15734261 (dorman 610-435.1) , which uses a 15.96mm knurl, and is the same length as the camaro studs, but the threads come all the way to the tip, which looks to be about 14mm (27mm vs 41mm) worth of extra thread. These are for the 3500 trucks. Just bouncing ideas.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-159...origin=keyword
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:20 AM   #2
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
I recently went w/ ARP's. 16.01mm Knurl. $57 per side from Summit Racing. Very easy install, you don't even need to remove the rotor/caliper up front.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-100-7736.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:21 AM   #3
Provoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
FYI- Link isn't working.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:23 AM   #4
Move_Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
I recently went w/ ARP's. 16.01mm Knurl. $57 per side from Summit Racing. Very easy install, you don't even need to remove the rotor/caliper up front.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-100-7736.
My only issue with those is that if i ever need warranty they stick out like a sore thumb being gold.

Also, since they are longer what are you using for lugs on the stock wheels? I’d like to use stock type lug nuts with the stock wheels.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:36 AM   #5
Provoste

Quote:
My only issue with those is that if i ever need warranty they stick out like a sore thumb being gold.

Also, since they are longer what are you using for lugs on the stock wheels? I’d like to use stock type lug nuts with the stock wheels.
Yeah true. My local dealer is so clueless though... I could tell them the 1LE's had gold front studs and they'd probably believe me! I don't think they've ever seen a SS 1LE. I'm not using the OE wheels at all, they're gathering dust in the garage. I'm using open ended steel lugs that my shop keeps on hand, not sure of brand.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:44 AM   #6
Move_Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Yeah true. My local dealer is so clueless though... I could tell them the 1LE's had gold front studs and they'd probably believe me! I don't think they've ever seen a SS 1LE. I'm not using the OE wheels at all, they're gathering dust in the garage. I'm using open ended steel lugs that my shop keeps on hand, not sure of brand.
Cool, i ordered some dorman open Enders for my apex wheels.

Do you see any adverse effects to OEM studs? They’ve gotta be alright for track use, i’d Think.

Also what are you using for torque spec on apex wheels with those open ended lugs.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:51 PM   #7
rotis

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
I'm running ARP studs, easy install with something like this-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:21 PM   #8
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Posted this in wheels and tires, but might show more relevance here.

Hi guys, I wanted to reach out to those of you running the Silverado Studs on your cars. I will be running a 5mm spacer for clearance up front with my Apex wheels.

I see some of you all are running either APR, or the longer silverado studs however the silverado studs does not look like it has the same knurl Diameter as ours. The camaro has a 16.01MM Knurl, where the silverado studs have a 15.70mm Knurl. Now, do i doubt that a .31mm difference will make a difference? No, but i wanted to check to see how they have been fitting.

With that being said, you could potentially use a GM 15734261 (dorman 610-435.1) , which uses a 15.96mm knurl, and is the same length as the camaro studs, but the threads come all the way to the tip, which looks to be about 14mm (27mm vs 41mm) worth of extra thread. These are for the 3500 trucks. Just bouncing ideas.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-159...origin=keyword
That is the correct Dorman PN that I looked into months ago. The hardness and thread quality were inferior to the stock studs (or ARP's). They are full thread, stock length. My measurements show ~7 additional threads or about 10.5mm more. I bought some in bulk and returned them then bought them in individual packages. Was not impressed. Due to my concerns and how often I take my wheels off, I stuck with the stock ones. Have had 0 issues. If I want longer, I'll go ARP. I have used them on other cars with no issues.

If I had a car I was not taking wheels off often and wanted more thread engagement for use with a spacer, then, they might be a viable option. The top of the shoulder is machined a bit differently. I did not try them personally.

RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:18 AM   #9
Kairles

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
I use ET style lug nuts, has plenty of thread engagement with 5mm spacer and stock studs.
Kairles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:13 AM   #10
Move_Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
That is the correct Dorman PN that I looked into months ago. The hardness and thread quality were inferior to the stock studs (or ARP's). They are full thread, stock length. My measurements show ~7 additional threads or about 10.5mm more. I bought some in bulk and returned them then bought them in individual packages. Was not impressed. Due to my concerns and how often I take my wheels off, I stuck with the stock ones. Have had 0 issues. If I want longer, I'll go ARP. I have used them on other cars with no issues.

If I had a car I was not taking wheels off often and wanted more thread engagement for use with a spacer, then, they might be a viable option. The top of the shoulder is machined a bit differently. I did not try them personally.

Thanks for the feedback. The dorman one i bought yesterday was just as good as oem, and had 10.9 stamped on the head. I may head to the Chevy dealer to pick up the OEM number i posted above. Those are for the 3500 duramax trucks, i think they’ll be fine.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:16 AM   #11
Move_Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post

Also, are you using any spacers? I’d stick with the stock ones, but with the 5mm spacers i need for my wheels I’ll only be at 5.5 turns which i am not good with, lol. That’s the only reason i wanted to go with an extended thread stud
Old 08-28-2018, 09:19 AM   #12
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Also, are you using any spacers? I’d stick with the stock ones, but with the 5mm spacers i need for my wheels I’ll only be at 5.5 turns which i am not good with, lol. That’s the only reason i wanted to go with an extended thread stud
When not on the track, I use a 3mm spacer for looks only pushing the 20" SS 1LE wheels out a bit. I never run spacers on the track or when I run the 19" ZL1 1LE wheels. For me, a 5mm spacer is pushing it on thread engagement, but, others feel okay with it. That's up to them.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:39 AM   #13
Move_Over

I went with APR studs up front. The OEm 3500 studs were 9 each from the dealer and the dormans i wasn’t entirely comfortable with. Figured it’s easy enough to swap back to stock if i ever have a warranty issue that requires them to remove the wheels.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:26 AM   #14
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
FYI, PTC 97419 studs work too. I ordered them from Rock Auto $1.10 each (much cheaper than Dorman or ARP). They're ~ 15mm longer overall, but have ~24mm more thread engagement, due to being threaded longer.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...841348&jsn=254
Attached Images

JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote