Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-27-2018, 03:07 PM   #29
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
I agree with you. The only reason I mentioned FPC is that this was part of the initial rumor that seems to be coming true. The things about this rumor that came true so far are: 4.2L of displacement, DOHC, and TT. The parts that are not true (so far) are FPC and being built in Tonawanda. So, since much of the rumor is coming true, I have to give some level of credence to the FPC part.

Myself? I don't think we will see FPC because of the reasons you mentioned above. Folks thought that Ford would have a big challenge getting FPC to work with 5.2L of displacement (and they have had challenges for sure), so 5.5L would be even harder. Also, the new Cadillac engine announcement made no mention of FPC and given the numbers they released (with regards to RPM's), it seems to be a CPC to me. But that doesn't mean they can't go FPC for a N/A version of the 5.5L. But I highly doubt it.

Perhaps on this Friday (the first day of the NY Auto show) they will debut a mid-engine vehicle with a 5.5L DOHC TT 720HP, and a Z/28 with the same.

Or, perhaps there will be both cars, but the Camaro gets a detuned version of the 5.5.

Or, perhaps we won't see a Z/28 at all. We will see a mid-engine something, because we keep seeing mules, but no Z/28 mule has been spotted.
Fair enough.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:38 PM   #30
Quinten_33

Drives: Silverado
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/28/...-turbo-engine/

The CEO of Cadillac did confirm today that the LTA engine will not be used by any other GM brand. He went even further, stating "I think Corvette wants a different kind of character". Carry on.
Quinten_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:09 PM   #31
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinten_33 View Post
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/28/...-turbo-engine/

The CEO of Cadillac did confirm today that the LTA engine will not be used by any other GM brand. He went even further, stating "I think Corvette wants a different kind of character". Carry on.
Did he use the term "LTA"? Has that name been confirmed?

The article did say however: "Still, even though the Cadillac boss says this specific engine won't go to Corvette, it's hard to not think some version of this engine, perhaps in a different displacement, could find its way under the hood of the Vette at some point in the future."

So, there could be a 5.5L version of this engine in it's current configuration, OR it could be a 5.5L DOHC TT non-hotV. Meaning it would be in the more traditional setup with the intake side in the V, and the exhaust and turbos on the side. Which would coincide with the CAD drawings that we saw that were supposed to be from the mid-engined car.

Hope they tell us something more at the NY Auto Show coming up.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:37 AM   #32
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
There won't be a 5.5L version of this engine, the bore spacing is even smaller then that of the Coyote engine so realistically speaking 4.5L is the largest displacement this engine will see.

The LT motors use a 4.400 inch bore spacing (going back to 1955 small block chevy's have had that), the Coyote engine has a bore spacing of 3.937 inches which is why you don't see 7.4L Coyote engines. The 5.8L trinity engine used a 4.125 inch stroke to get 5.8L, while this new engine has a 3.779 inch bore centers. If they gave it a 3.5 inch bore and a 4.125 inch stroke (don't know if this engine can go up that high but I doubt it) then you would have a 5.2L engine. With a 3.5 inch bore airflow will suck and with a 4.125 inch stroke this won't be a 8,000rpm on a production engine, this engine was made to be a small displacement twin turbo non performance engine from the ground up. Going with a much smaller block then lets say an LT motor allows the engine to have good packaging and lower mass (529 pounds roughly the same as the LT4 engine).

I remember a while ago BMW having major issues with the hot V setup, it is too much heat in the engine to be driven hard on a race track. CT6 V sport is the perfect application for such a layout.

Last edited by doc7000; 03-29-2018 at 01:22 AM.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:24 AM   #33
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Did he use the term "LTA"? Has that name been confirmed?

The article did say however: "Still, even though the Cadillac boss says this specific engine won't go to Corvette, it's hard to not think some version of this engine, perhaps in a different displacement, could find its way under the hood of the Vette at some point in the future."

So, there could be a 5.5L version of this engine in it's current configuration, OR it could be a 5.5L DOHC TT non-hotV. Meaning it would be in the more traditional setup with the intake side in the V, and the exhaust and turbos on the side. Which would coincide with the CAD drawings that we saw that were supposed to be from the mid-engined car.

Hope they tell us something more at the NY Auto Show coming up.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:36 AM   #34
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
There won't be a 5.5L version of this engine, the bore spacing is even smaller then that of the Coyote engine so realistically speaking 4.5L is the largest displacement this engine will see.

The LT motors use a 4.400 inch bore spacing (going back to 1955 small block chevy's have had that), the Coyote engine has a bore spacing of 3.937 inches which is why you don't see 7.4L Coyote engines. The 5.8L trinity engine used a 4.125 inch stroke to get 5.8L, while this new engine has a 3.779 inch bore centers. If they gave it a 3.5 inch bore and a 4.125 inch stroke (don't know if this engine can go up that high but I doubt it) then you would have a 5.2L engine. With a 3.5 inch bore airflow will suck and with a 4.125 inch stroke this won't be a 8,000rpm on a production engine, this engine was made to be a small displacement twin turbo non performance engine from the ground up. Going with a much smaller block then lets say an LT motor allows the engine to have good packaging and lower mass (529 pounds roughly the same as the LT4 engine).

I remember a while ago BMW having major issues with the hot V setup, it is too much heat in the engine to be driven hard on a race track. CT6 V sport is the perfect application for such a layout.
Thanks Doc! This is great info, I meant to take a look a the bore spacing on the new Cadillac engine. I did notice that it is an over-square set-up. Which is more for low-end torque than high RPM HP screaming. Great for what Cadillac is doing with the engine, but perhaps not so great for the mid-engine car we have seen in camo. GM has been dropping not so subtle hints that Cadillac is going in a different direction than Chevy.

In an interview with Hagerty, Al O. strongly implied that the ZL1 1LE was not the end of the Gen6 Camaro lineup. And he said that they are looking at any available HP. And he said they want to get under 7:00 at the Nurburgring. Seems to me he is hinting at an LT5 Z/28.

I'm not convinced there will be a Gen6 Z/28, but if we do, I think it will not get anything they are developing for the mid-engine car. I think Camaro will get that in Gen7.

But what do I know...
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:20 AM   #35
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Thanks Doc! This is great info, I meant to take a look a the bore spacing on the new Cadillac engine. I did notice that it is an over-square set-up. Which is more for low-end torque than high RPM HP screaming. Great for what Cadillac is doing with the engine, but perhaps not so great for the mid-engine car we have seen in camo. GM has been dropping not so subtle hints that Cadillac is going in a different direction than Chevy.

In an interview with Hagerty, Al O. strongly implied that the ZL1 1LE was not the end of the Gen6 Camaro lineup. And he said that they are looking at any available HP. And he said they want to get under 7:00 at the Nurburgring. Seems to me he is hinting at an LT5 Z/28.

I'm not convinced there will be a Gen6 Z/28, but if we do, I think it will not get anything they are developing for the mid-engine car. I think Camaro will get that in Gen7.

But what do I know...

And team Camaro was at Nurburgring 2 weeks ago testing, so we know there still testing, hope we see it soon.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:40 AM   #36
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
And team Camaro was at Nurburgring 2 weeks ago testing, so we know there still testing, hope we see it soon.
No spy pics?
Old 03-29-2018, 10:53 AM   #37
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LE View Post
No spy pics?
I haven’t seen anything, which would be very surprising, if they were there.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:09 AM   #38
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I haven’t seen anything, which would be very surprising, if they were there.
someone in another thread said it was GM/Chevy that was at the ring and it was a very short trip. they did not say it was team camaro that was there.

If I had to guess, maybe they had a window to go for a recorded lap with a ZR1

EDIT

Looks like it was Camaro there but doesn't sound like for anything major

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Nope... just a short trip. Have no idea what it was all about but I like to see they are still engaged at this point.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 03-29-2018, 11:19 AM   #39
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
someone in another thread said it was GM/Chevy that was at the ring and it was a very short trip. they did not say it was team camaro that was there.

If I had to guess, maybe they had a window to go for a recorded lap with a ZR1

EDIT

Looks like it was Camaro there but doesn't sound like for anything major
Nothing Major, chasing a sub 7.00 Min at the ring is easy! LOL, all you need is a NA motor with 700HP and lighter brakes and wheels. its all in fun, but that's what the car need's.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:21 AM   #40
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Nothing Major, chasing a sub 7.00 Min at the ring is easy! LOL, all you need is a NA motor with 700HP and lighter brakes and wheels. its all in fun, but that's what the car need's.
as cool as I think it would be I will wait and see what the ZR1 does at the ring before I get my hopes up about a Camaro doing a sub 7
Old 03-29-2018, 11:21 AM   #41
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LE View Post
No spy pics?
I don't have a lens that can get that pic from AZ. LOL
Old 03-29-2018, 11:59 AM   #42
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
as cool as I think it would be I will wait and see what the ZR1 does at the ring before I get my hopes up about a Camaro doing a sub 7
Think the ZR1 will get there if its a track car 100 more HP and 300lb less then the ZL1 is a lot.

Last edited by 2SSRS@Gen5diy; 03-29-2018 at 01:01 PM.