Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-22-2016, 12:55 PM   #1
detonatror_x

Drives: 2ss
2SS HID bulb change

any tips on swapping the headlight bulbs? I just tried it but there is literally 0 space for my hand.
detonatror_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:12 PM   #2
RedDragon16

Drives: Red Hot Camaro Forced Inducted
I just did it last night! P.I.T.A. for sure! but doable. take off the covers for the headlights, and I found taking out the OEM bulb first then in plugging it. Then to put the new HIDs in its even harder. I put the bulb in first then I plugged it in once in place. A couple cuts in each hand later they were installed!

2009 Audi A4 Quattro My daily driver
2016 Red Hot Camaro Turbo RS- Injen Cold Air- RPM motorsports Catless Downpipe- MagnaFlow Exhaust -Tune- MRR Z28 Replicas- Full Color Change Wrap-
RedDragon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:19 PM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
why are you upgrading?
Old 11-22-2016, 06:31 PM   #4
BamBam2SS

Drives: 2017 2SS/M6 W/MRC & NPP
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473432

Good luck sir, I intend to do this for a little bit more of a whiter headlight output. (5000K instead of the 4300K)
BamBam2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:29 AM   #5
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Philips Xtreme Vision +50% are what I like to use. They are a lot brighter than your standard HID bulbs which is pretty incredible. The color changes over like 40 hours of use to a bluer white but never ricer-ish.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:41 PM   #6
steve-a-reeno

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible RS
HID Bulb Replacement (RS V6, Driver's Side)

I replaced the driver's side HID bulb in my 2016 RS V6. The first indication that my bulb was burning out was that the color turned pink:

Step 1: Disconnect battery.

Step 2: Understand the bulb. The OEM HID bulb has a square base, a male connector, a glass bulb, and circular bezel that secures to the bulb socket of the headlight casing.

Step 3: Locate the cap for the HID bulb. You should be able to easily reach the cap following the arrow labelled 'Cap location'.

Step 4: Use the tabs on top of the cap to turn counter-clockwise and remove.

Step 5: After removing the cap, you will see the square base of the HID bulb and a (female) connector to the vehicle. Disconnect the vehicle connector by gently prying it from the HID connector with a small screwdriver. Note the orientation of the HID connector (the HID connector should be facing directly down toward the floor).

Note that there are two very small tabs on the inside of the vehicle connector that secure it to the HID connector. If there is not enough room to remove the vehicle connector from the HID connector, grab the square base of the HID and turn it counter-clockwise a few degrees until it no longer turns. Before pulling the bulb out of the socket, note the orientation of the HID base as you will want to insert the new bulb into the socket at this exact position. Next, pull the HID bulb out of its socket to more easily access and disconnect the vehicle connector from the HID connector.

Step 6: If you haven't already done so, remove the HID bulb by turning it counter-clockwise and pulling it out of its socket. Note the orientation of the bulb when pulling it out of the socket in order to insert the new bulb into the socket at this same position.

Step 7: View information on the OEM HID bulb to correctly identify and purchase new bulb. The OEM bulb is model D3S 35w.

Step 8: Purchase OEM HID bulb. I bought this from Pep Boys. For some reason, the box shows "Philips D3S C1" and not simply "Philips D3S"; I am not sure what the "C1" is for, but the SKU matches the original "Philips D3S" product.

The back of the box shows additional information:

Important: Note that counterfeit Philips bulbs exist in the market. Please check the bottom of the box to verify authenticity.

Step 8: Insert new HID bulb into the socket and turn clockwise to tighten. Do not touch the bulb glass; only touch the square base of the bulb when installing. Reconnect vehicle connector to HID connector and reinstall cap.

Step 9: Reconnect battery.

Step 10: Turn on headlight and test.

Last edited by steve-a-reeno; 04-29-2018 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Added more information.
steve-a-reeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:32 PM   #7
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
@steve-a-reeno, thanks a lot for this excellent writeup. Will be great to remember when the time comes.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:10 AM   #8
bigwormgraphix
Account Suspended

Drives: 1991 Z28, 2015 SS & 2017 SS
Loosening the fuse box on the passenger side and the air filter on the driver side makes the swap a lot easier. 5500k or 6500k bulbs really help on light output with 6th gen Camaros. We have been selling the Morimoto bulbs and have been happy with their performance over the stock bulbs. The stock bulbs seem to fade quickly, work great when new but only for about 6 months.

https://www.bigwormgraphix.com/2016-...eadlights.html

Last edited by bigwormgraphix; 04-30-2018 at 12:19 PM.
bigwormgraphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:02 PM   #9
aland12345

Drives: 2016 Bright Yellow Camaro vert
For what it is worth if the knuckles are just too big. Jack up car remove front tires. The inner liner is a fiber material. Just unscrew retainers and pull back. While your at it you can change the running lights paint or clean calipers.
aland12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:20 PM   #10
bigwormgraphix
Account Suspended

They are actually a lot easier than 5th gen Camaros, once you do it once the whole process can be done in 10 minutes or so.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:36 PM   #11
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-a-reeno View Post
I replaced the driver's side HID bulb in my 2016 RS V6. The first indication that my bulb was burning out was that the color turned pink:

Step 1: Disconnect battery.

Step 2: Understand the bulb. The OEM HID bulb has a square base, a male connector, a glass bulb, and circular bezel that secures to the bulb socket of the headlight casing.

Step 3: Locate the cap for the HID bulb. You should be able to easily reach the cap following the arrow labelled 'Cap location'.

Step 4: Use the tabs on top of the cap to turn counter-clockwise and remove.

Step 5: After removing the cap, you will see the square base of the HID bulb and a (female) connector to the vehicle. Disconnect the vehicle connector by gently prying it from the HID connector with a small screwdriver. Note the orientation of the HID connector (the HID connector should be facing directly down toward the floor).

Note that there are two very small tabs on the inside of the vehicle connector that secure it to the HID connector. If there is not enough room to remove the vehicle connector from the HID connector, grab the square base of the HID and turn it counter-clockwise a few degrees until it no longer turns. Before pulling the bulb out of the socket, note the orientation of the HID base as you will want to insert the new bulb into the socket at this exact position. Next, pull the HID bulb out of its socket to more easily access and disconnect the vehicle connector from the HID connector.

Step 6: If you haven't already done so, remove the HID bulb by turning it counter-clockwise and pulling it out of its socket. Note the orientation of the bulb when pulling it out of the socket in order to insert the new bulb into the socket at this same position.

Step 7: View information on the OEM HID bulb to correctly identify and purchase new bulb. The OEM bulb is model D3S 35w.

Step 8: Purchase OEM HID bulb. I bought this from Pep Boys. For some reason, the box shows "Philips D3S C1" and not simply "Philips D3S"; I am not sure what the "C1" is for, but the SKU matches the original "Philips D3S" product.

The back of the box shows additional information:

Important: Note that counterfeit Philips bulbs exist in the market. Please check the bottom of the box to verify authenticity.

Step 8: Insert new HID bulb into the socket and turn clockwise to tighten. Do not touch the bulb glass; only touch the square base of the bulb when installing. Reconnect vehicle connector to HID connector and reinstall cap.

Step 9: Reconnect battery.

Step 10: Turn on headlight and test.

Do you have to disconnect the battery first?

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:05 AM   #12
bigwormgraphix
Account Suspended

Very helpful pics!
Old 02-14-2019, 11:04 AM   #13
Ohji-san

Drives: 2016 2LT RS V6 A8 BVM/Kala NPP
Steve-a-reeno. Man, your photos and instructions were extremely helpful. Good advice to loosen the car battery holder if replacing passenger side HID headlight. Tight fit is right! Thanks for taking the time to instruct the mechanically-challenged types like me.
Ohji-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:41 PM   #14
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Once I wasn't afraid of getting shocked to shit and trying several times and chickening out, I finally was able to do it in like 15 mins.

I didn't remove anything, but my hands are not plus sized either. I took the cover off, twisted the bulb and pulled it mostly out of the socket, used a plastic pumpkin scraper (I just knew I kept it for a reason after Halloween) to pry the connector from the bulb, reconnected the new bulb connector and then twisted the bulb in place, and put the cover back on.

Also because I was paranoid about shocking myself, used medical plastic gloves, although not sure that would have actually helped if there was a voltage that run thru, lol.

I worried for nothing, but I had never swapped out an HID bulb before, only halogen ones.

I used the Diode Dynamic bulbs sold from Wildhammer Motorsports. They work great. They raise the beam slightly from stock, not enough to blind oncoming traffic, but enough to see much further than the stock bulb cut-off line.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote