Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 04-25-2018, 09:10 AM   #1
rspitler

Drives: 2017 SS Convertible
Differential replacement

Last week I took my car to the dealer because I was hearing clunking noise coming from the rear end. Clunking was heard as I was coming to a stop and the vehicle was downshifting. I would occasionally hear it when putting into reverse. Dropped it off and the next day the service adviser called and said the tech replicated the noise and the rear diff needed to be replaced. Would take about 3 - 5 days to get the part.

Anyway, picked it up this morning and this is what I found on the repair order:

"Road tested vehicle found excessive noise from rear differential. Road tested in air found limited slip not working at all. Found excessive movement from axles into diff. Drained fluid found clutch material burnt smell and black. Replaced differential assembly".

I usually don't buy cars used since you never know the history. The good thing is everything was covered under warranty. The diff was $2900+ alone. Seriously considering taking the dealer up on the extended warranty. On the plus side, the car drives a lot better.
rspitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:48 AM   #2
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by rspitler View Post
Last week I took my car to the dealer because I was hearing clunking noise coming from the rear end. Clunking was heard as I was coming to a stop and the vehicle was downshifting. I would occasionally hear it when putting into reverse. Dropped it off and the next day the service adviser called and said the tech replicated the noise and the rear diff needed to be replaced. Would take about 3 - 5 days to get the part.

Anyway, picked it up this morning and this is what I found on the repair order:

"Road tested vehicle found excessive noise from rear differential. Road tested in air found limited slip not working at all. Found excessive movement from axles into diff. Drained fluid found clutch material burnt smell and black. Replaced differential assembly".

I usually don't buy cars used since you never know the history. The good thing is everything was covered under warranty. The diff was $2900+ alone. Seriously considering taking the dealer up on the extended warranty. On the plus side, the car drives a lot better.
Congrats on the replacement and warranty coverage.
With how many miles did you buy your vert and at which millage did you first notice the noises?
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:20 PM   #3
rspitler

Drives: 2017 SS Convertible
I purchased the car Nov 17 with approx 13000 on it. Dealer assured me the factory warranty was still in effect. After taking delivery I began noticing the dreaded A8 shake and the clunking. Shake was taken care of with a fluid change and the first attempt at repair was a reprogram of the transmission. Seemed to work or was a little better. So the problem was probably there when i purchased it.
rspitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:35 AM   #4
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by rspitler View Post
I purchased the car Nov 17 with approx 13000 on it. Dealer assured me the factory warranty was still in effect. After taking delivery I began noticing the dreaded A8 shake and the clunking. Shake was taken care of with a fluid change and the first attempt at repair was a reprogram of the transmission. Seemed to work or was a little better. So the problem was probably there when i purchased it.
Yep. 13K Miles most probably means that the issue was there almost from the beginning. Good that you got taken care of properly by GM and your dealer.
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:50 AM   #5
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Did you check your carfax and see if yours was an ex rental? There are a ton of used SS verts in florida that are ex rental cars so I'm sure they have been well used. If so, buy the extended warranty if you plan on keeping it.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:41 PM   #6
Cameron27

Drives: 2015 2SS

Last edited by Cameron27; 06-06-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Cameron27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:32 AM   #7
SixgenSix

Drives: 2020 SHOCK SS 1LE
Mine does the clunk once the car comes to a stop and you feel it too. Trans tech road with me and heard it. They ended up giving me the car back, said drive it some more, if it gets louder or worse bring it back in. I would say it's doing it at every other stop now, I just need to make the time to take it back in and leave it with them.
SixgenSix is offline   Reply With Quote