Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-09-2016, 07:58 AM   #57
E-Ray

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Nightfall Grey
I drive 15 miles one way to work every day, but on nice days ride the Harley. Also having the Edelbrock E-Force installed next week, this should make my daily driver a little more interesting.

Last edited by E-Ray; 06-09-2016 at 08:25 AM.
E-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:59 AM   #58
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer View Post
I DD my car 40 miles each way and it's been great. 4k miles and so far just that periodic annoying vanishing Drive Mode bug has been my only problem. It's happened about 4 times I think in 4000 miles, so that's not too bad.

I would never in a million years bring this car out in the snow, even with Blizzaks mounted. Even though the car has near perfect weight distribution, you have to account for it's torque to weight ratio and ground clearance. Can you do it? Yes, probably. Is it a good idea? Not really. There's a video on Jalopnik of them trying to drive a brand new gen6 with Pirelli snow tires (Soto Zero's I think?). That site has always preached that all you need is a good set of snow tires...google it to see how well that worked out for them.

In the Tri-State area they also use that corrosive salt alternative that's cheaper and more powerful for melting snow and ice. It'll wreak havoc on your car, especially your brake lines. Get your car washed often if you drive it in a place where they use this stuff.

I've got a 2012 Charger with AWD (100k miles on it) that I have a car seat in. I let my son eat in that car and that's not happening in the Camaro. So much easier to fit a car seat in a 4 door car than a sports car. In the winter, I mount Blizzaks on the stock Charger wheels and it's amazing in the snow. I'll let it take the abuse.
I daily drove a 04 GTO with Dunlop Winter Sport tires and felt it was better in the snow than my wife's CUV with all season. When I ordered the SS I also bought a second set of identical rims/sensors/center that I'll put Pirelli Sottozero on.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:09 AM   #59
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
I daily drove a 04 GTO with Dunlop Winter Sport tires and felt it was better in the snow than my wife's CUV with all season. When I ordered the SS I also bought a second set of identical rims/sensors/center that I'll put Pirelli Sottozero on.
The GTO has different physics than the Camaro. I've driven Challengers and a CTS-V with snow tires and they were fine too, but the Camaro has different power/weight ratio. All season tires = no season tires so I totally believe that the GTO was better. You might want to read / watch this though before investing in snow tires for a gen6 Camaro though...http://jalopnik.com/a-455-horsepower...-wo-1755180954
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:22 AM   #60
dorifto65

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschons74 View Post
I know what you mean, but you can shut them all off. Hold down that button for like 5 sec or more until you see both lights come on dash, it turns off both TC & Stabilitrak. Word of caution: Do not do this on wet roads and punch it. But on dry, warm roads, in the manual, she stays pretty straight. I hate the nannies.

Mine is a DD too, I love it. It's makes going to work fun.
Thanks for the tip. I'll have t try it on my way home after work.
dorifto65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:51 AM   #61
hotlap

Quote:
The GTO has different physics than the Camaro. I've driven Challengers and a CTS-V with snow tires and they were fine too, but the Camaro has different power/weight ratio. All season tires = no season tires so I totally believe that the GTO was better. You might want to read / watch this though before investing in snow tires for a gen6 Camaro though...http://jalopnik.com/a-455-horsepower...-wo-1755180954
I started driving when all cars were RWD so I'm sure I'll be fine. I drove my gen4 in the winter also. Bottom line for me is that there are only a half dozen significant snow events each year and how many of those do I really need to drive in. It's no big deal.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 06-09-2016, 09:12 AM   #62
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
I started driving when all cars were RWD so I'm sure I'll be fine. I drove my gen4 in the winter also. Bottom line for me is that there are only a half dozen significant snow events each year and how many of those do I really need to drive in. It's no big deal.
You mean back when kids road their bicycles without needing a motorcycle helmet? LOL...yeah, me too. I'm sure you'll be able to handle it, but it didn't look like it was going to be fun unless you were out playing in it.

Personally, I didn't want to walk out of my office in January to find my baby buried and have to deal with all the other idiots on a 40 mile ride home when I have another fully depreciated car that's better suited for it. I totally understand that not everyone has a second car. It made more sense for me to keep my old car since I would be lucky to get $10k for it and it has an unlimited mileage lifetime warranty, four doors and AWD w/Blizzaks already.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:28 PM   #63
hotlap

Quote:
You mean back when kids road their bicycles without needing a motorcycle helmet? LOL...yeah, me too. I'm sure you'll be able to handle it, but it didn't look like it was going to be fun unless you were out playing in it.

Personally, I didn't want to walk out of my office in January to find my baby buried and have to deal with all the other idiots on a 40 mile ride home when I have another fully depreciated car that's better suited for it. I totally understand that not everyone has a second car. It made more sense for me to keep my old car since I would be lucky to get $10k for it and it has an unlimited mileage lifetime warranty, four doors and AWD w/Blizzaks already.
I was thinking that when I replied earlier but didn't want to offend anyone. put a banana seat on this bike and that would have been me circa 1974. No shirt, bell bottom jeans and long hair jumping my bike off a ramp like Evil Kenevil.

I only drive 15 minutes each way to work with annual mileage less than 10k. Not a biggie and I plan to use this car up!
Attached Images

Ronald Reagan -
Old 06-10-2016, 06:21 AM   #64
Neil350

Drives: Nike Air Max
I daily drove a 4th gen F-body for about 4 years while in college, plenty of folks down here drive Camaros or Mustangs year round. More so a matter of practicality than anything.

Quote:
I started driving when all cars were RWD so I'm sure I'll be fine.
That's pretty funny you mention that, my Dad had a 71 Skylark he bought new in 1971, drove all year in N.J. Good thing I don't have to worry about that in Houston.
Neil350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:30 AM   #65
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
I DD my car 40 miles each way and it's been great. 4k miles and so far just that periodic annoying vanishing Drive Mode bug has been my only problem. It's happened about 4 times I think in 4000 miles, so that's not too bad.

I would never in a million years bring this car out in the snow, even with Blizzaks mounted. Even though the car has near perfect weight distribution, you have to account for it's torque to weight ratio and ground clearance. Can you do it? Yes, probably. Is it a good idea? Not really. There's a video on Jalopnik of them trying to drive a brand new gen6 with Pirelli snow tires (Soto Zero's I think?). That site has always preached that all you need is a good set of snow tires...google it to see how well that worked out for them.

In the Tri-State area they also use that corrosive salt alternative that's cheaper and more powerful for melting snow and ice. It'll wreak havoc on your car, especially your brake lines. Get your car washed often if you drive it in a place where they use this stuff.

I've got a 2012 Charger with AWD (100k miles on it) that I have a car seat in. I let my son eat in that car and that's not happening in the Camaro. So much easier to fit a car seat in a 4 door car than a sports car. In the winter, I mount Blizzaks on the stock Charger wheels and it's amazing in the snow. I'll let it take the abuse.
Your torque to weight ratio is strictly dependent on right foot input. You can drive a Ferrari in 6 inches of snow, and in fact people do! Youtube it!

Truth is, these cars can go just as well or better in snow with the proper tires as any standard front wheel drive family sedan. And they are a BLAST to drive in snow when you can find an open parking lot
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:52 AM   #66
Hypertrophy

Drives: truck
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetMedic View Post
I live is Los Angeles and my commute to work is 2 miles each way ...
2 miles each way? Wow, how do you do it day after day?
Hypertrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:56 AM   #67
Hypertrophy

Drives: truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerC View Post
...which is why I had it wrapped in clear 3M pro series film.
What areas of the car did you wrap?
Hypertrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:05 AM   #68
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypertrophy View Post
What areas of the car did you wrap?
I put XPel on the full hood, front fascia and the fascia extension. I also have the painted splash gaurds.

Ronald Reagan -