Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-31-2021, 09:32 AM   #15
supersportss

Drives: 2019 SS
Quit being a snatch and buy it, all these nay Sayers here prolly don't have 3000 miles on their shit and are telling you to be leery or the dealer knows.. This platform is very durable
if your worried about the mods, ask them to certify the car. I'd buy it and beat it like a red headed step child. Go ask questions on LS1 tech, these car boys here don't know much.
supersportss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 09:39 AM   #16
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
I've tried my best to zoom in on the upper pulley and see if its been swapped but it keeps getting distorted. If I had to guess though, I'd say the upper pulley is stock. The green belt does make me think maybe the lower pulley has been swapped. It is very possible the owner just put a "better" belt on as well.

Personally, with how the market is for used cars right now, its just wait it out till prices go back to normal. they are asking almost new price for a 2 year old car and after TTL/fees, you will well over 75k. Thats brand new prices!! Its a solid 60k (I may even be super generous and say 65k) at best. When these car prices settle, you will instantly be 10-15k negative into the car.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 09:53 AM   #17
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIROC View Post
I've tried my best to zoom in on the upper pulley and see if its been swapped but it keeps getting distorted. If I had to guess though, I'd say the upper pulley is stock. The green belt does make me think maybe the lower pulley has been swapped. It is very possible the owner just put a "better" belt on as well.

Personally, with how the market is for used cars right now, its just wait it out till prices go back to normal. they are asking almost new price for a 2 year old car and after TTL/fees, you will well over 75k. Thats brand new prices!! Its a solid 60k (I may even be super generous and say 65k) at best. When these car prices settle, you will instantly be 10-15k negative into the car.
The likelihood that the previous owner put on a better belt is slim to none. I think your assumption the crank pulley has been swapped is more plausible.

Last edited by hawk02; 05-31-2021 at 10:14 AM.
hawk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 10:18 AM   #18
TLB_ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Once again, thanks y'all for your feedback. This forum and the members of it are great.

I saw the cars listing on the dealer's website first... vin search led me to see that it is an auction car as previously stated. After reading everyone's comments so far I think I am going to reach out once more to the dealership, if they are unable to provide any info on the mods done or come down on price (significantly) due to being modded/tuned and not having a warranty, then I will just walk away from it. Not worth the hassle of flying to Tampa and checking the car out in person.

As previously stated by hawk02, Toy Barn here in OH usually has some high end cars, I may just source one through them. My ultimate goal here was to score this ZLE for the asking price ($70k) that obviously already has mods and has been tuned, I'm assuming the car is around AT LEAST 600whp. But like I said, not worth the hassle if the dealership can't come down on price or give me a list of everything done.. will find another!!

Thanks again to everyone, for your help and input!!!
TLB_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 10:24 AM   #19
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersportss View Post
Quit being a snatch and buy it, all these nay Sayers here prolly don't have 3000 miles on their shit and are telling you to be leery or the dealer knows.. This platform is very durable
if your worried about the mods, ask them to certify the car. I'd buy it and beat it like a red headed step child. Go ask questions on LS1 tech, these car boys here don't know much.
So let me get this straight. You’re telling the OP to plunk $70K down on a used, out-of-state, modified, auctioned ZL1 1LE which likely has no powertrain warranty. Pretty easy to make a decision like this when it’s not your money.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:31 AM   #20
TLB_ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Lol okay so right after posting that update about contacting the dealership again, I check my email and they had finally replied with:

"We do not have the list of mods on the car and we cannot release the previous customers information based on our non-disclosure agreement"

They are a high end car dealership, no doubt. I am going to give them a call later today and see what I can negotiate. The car itself meets my requirements of being a ZLE, 6MT, under $75k, and under 10k miles... if they can work with me on price or offer some sort of warranty I may have to bite.

I am very interested in the two sides here though... some of y'all saying just do it, others saying be weary... like I mentioned before, I had an 18 ZL1 and know how stout these motors are, it's not that I am concerned about the mods being done. I would just like to know what ALL has been done, where the car was tuned etc...

Will post an update once I contact them. Thanks again!!
TLB_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 11:09 AM   #21
AZIROC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
The likelihood that the previous owner put on a better belt is slim to none. I think your assumption the crank pulley has been swapped is more plausible.

Agreed, the green belt is a solid hint 1 of the pulleys have been changed. Is it PLAUSIBLE the previous owner did just the belt... sure. But highly unlikely. My money is on a lower pulley.

And again, if you ok with this possibility OP, then its just saving you money in the long run but the risk of something wrong is also there.
Old 05-31-2021, 11:19 AM   #22
AZIROC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLB_ZL1 View Post
Lol okay so right after posting that update about contacting the dealership again, I check my email and they had finally replied with:

"We do not have the list of mods on the car and we cannot release the previous customers information based on our non-disclosure agreement"

They are a high end car dealership, no doubt. I am going to give them a call later today and see what I can negotiate. The car itself meets my requirements of being a ZLE, 6MT, under $75k, and under 10k miles... if they can work with me on price or offer some sort of warranty I may have to bite.

I am very interested in the two sides here though... some of y'all saying just do it, others saying be weary... like I mentioned before, I had an 18 ZL1 and know how stout these motors are, it's not that I am concerned about the mods being done. I would just like to know what ALL has been done, where the car was tuned etc...

As far as the car/mods go, if you are good with what may be done and possibly of no warranty, then yes, see what you can get for this car.

As stated before, im in AZ and bought my car in TX. The sales guy was beyond helpful (I did my research on the dealership and sales people) and when I requested pics of specific areas or angles, he got them for me pretty quickly. He even sent me good quality videos of start ups. So he was awesome.

The real asshole was the finance guy. The asking price for my car ('18 zl1 32xx miles) was 54k. After all the research i did, this was actually a pretty good price. The only suck part was since it was at a dealer, id be paying tax. The finance guy tried to throw in 3k in "prep fee" *aka a wash and oil change* and 2500 "destination fee" (yet it was a trade in). Plus something like $500 for tint and wheel locks and a few other bs fees. In the end he said some crazy $ like 67k. I laughed and said nope, deals off and hung up. Salesman called me right back and I told him what happened. I ended up talking to the sales manager and said the asking price isn't the issue, but the bullshit fees are. They were worried since I was out of state I wasnt serious so I offered to put half the asking price down. Once I said that he said he would drop all those fees but id "have" to be out by Monday (it was friday). So I said ok and was there mon morning with $ in hand.

moral of that story,, stick to your guns and know your *fiscal* limit. In the end its just a car and there will be others. You are going to have extra expenses to get down there and fly back thst you need to factor in as well. The only good thing for me was the sales tax where I live was drastically lower than in Texas.
Old 05-31-2021, 01:51 PM   #23
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersportss View Post
Then why aren't YOU buying it? Sit down little boy and let the grownups talk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLB_ZL1 View Post

They do not have to give you the previous owner's contact info. They can simply contact the owner on your behalf, give him/her your contact info, and request him/her to contact you. Or even simpler, they could take 3 minutes of their time, contact the previous owner, and say "hey guy, can you shoot over a list of mods you did to the car?". It really is not as difficult as they are making it out to be. At this point they are being shady AF and I would just walk away from them entirely. A vehicle purchase of $70K should come with peace of mind and the dealership should be making sure they do all they can to make you feel at ease. So screw them.

Or if you really do want it, ask them if they will offer a dealership warranty with the car and put it in writing. Basically since it is modded they cannot offer a manufacturer warranty. Even if they did it would not be valid since that has to come from the manufacturer (GM) itself. And it explicitly states that those specific mods will void the warranty. So the dealership would have to offer you a dealership warranty and be very specific on what is or isn't covered. If they refuse then they can go kick rocks.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 02:30 PM   #24
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
It is just a car! If you want the car and accept that in all likelihood the car has been modified to the point that the power train warranty is gone, then I would say buy it. If you don't want to accept that risk, then walk away, because there is another one right around the corner. Maybe not today, tomorrow, but it will happen. Good luck.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 03:58 PM   #25
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
It is just a car!
At $70K with no warranty, it most certainly is NOT "just a car".
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:09 PM   #26
zain

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave777 View Post
I would look for a 100% stock ZL1
Yes
zain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:51 PM   #27
Big Surprise

Drives: NONE
in my opinion that seems to be tall money for a 2019. Stick shift and 8000 miles
Big Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:48 PM   #28
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
So let me get this straight. You’re telling the OP to plunk $70K down on a used, out-of-state, modified, auctioned ZL1 1LE which likely has no powertrain warranty. Pretty easy to make a decision like this when it’s not your money.
Yep, a 70K car that could turn into a 90k car, if the engine decides to grenade. Mods or not, buying a car for that kind of dough, without a power train warrantee, wouldn’t make me feel warm and fuzzy.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modded, previous owner, tampa