Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 02-04-2019, 06:43 PM   #295
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
'18 ZLE - Swaybar end links bolts are tight AF. Car was built w newer flange bolt / washer assemblies.

Up on ramps, links themselves felt tight, but does not means they are "tight" as bar may be imperfect and applied torque masking any slop. Did not loose any bolts to verify. Maybe I will check that tomorrow before scheduling service visit.

Slow speed approach between street / driveway, mostly in reverse.

Very pronounced clunk.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:45 PM   #296
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
'18 ZLE - Swaybar end links bolts are tight AF. Car was built w newer flange bolt / washer assemblies.

Up on ramps, links themselves felt tight, but does not means they are "tight" as bar may be imperfect and applied torque masking any slop. Did not loose any bolts to verify. Maybe I will check that tomorrow before scheduling service visit.

Slow speed approach between street / driveway, mostly in reverse.

Very pronounced clunk.
mine felt tight by hand and looked ok, but it was not tight when I put the wrench on it. The dealer even looked at it twice and missed it, I had to take care of it myself.
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:52 PM   #297
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

I put foot long wrench on them, applied solid 50-60 lbs force, no mvement. On top bolt, it put 18mm socket and extension and put in 45-50 lbs on foot n half breaker bar -they were TIGHT.

By comparison, the tie rod ends were "loose". I was able to easily dial in another 15-30 degrees.

May check it again tomorrow, but just in case, apt for thursday AM. referenced TSB in service request.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:23 PM   #298
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
2017 ZL1 purchased 7/2017. 4500miles. After 2nd track day I’m now getting some clanking/clunking noises over bumps in road. Top sway end links seem to have some play and make a similar noise when jiggled when car is in the air at full droop, wheels removed. I assume it’s them. I’ll get a wrench on all suspension bolts this week. Just figured I’d check in haha.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:30 PM   #299
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
2017 ZL1 purchased 7/2017. 4500miles. After 2nd track day I’m now getting some clanking/clunking noises over bumps in road. Top sway end links seem to have some play and make a similar noise when jiggled when car is in the air at full droop, wheels removed. I assume it’s them. I’ll get a wrench on all suspension bolts this week. Just figured I’d check in haha.
throw them in the trash and order the BMR links. I did that, no issues again so far with a few track days. They are wayyyy better quality with grease fittings and stuff. Plus adjustable
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:32 PM   #300
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Mine were somewhat bound up at the rubber at full droop, making them harder to check and tighten. If you can get a jack under the LCA it might help a bit.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:48 PM   #301
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
throw them in the trash and order the BMR links. I did that, no issues again so far with a few track days. They are wayyyy better quality with grease fittings and stuff. Plus adjustable
Meh. I’d prefer to keep the car stock. I don’t mind occasionally tightening them. If the begin to loosen frequently I’ll throw some nordlock washers on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Mine were somewhat bound up at the rubber at full droop, making them harder to check and tighten. If you can get a jack under the LCA it might help a bit.
Good tip. I can easily do that if they seem bound at all.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:13 AM   #302
ZeroZeta

Drives: 18 Camaro SS
Picked up my Fireball 1ss a few weeks ago and with 78 miles on the clock experienced the loud clunk on the driver side when going through a parking lot.

Luckily I learned from my mistakes and consult the forums first. So a big thanks to all members who contributed to this thread.

My Nordlocks are on order and I will not be wasting my time going back and forth with my dealership.

Will keep everyone posted if something else appears to be amiss as well.
ZeroZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:07 AM   #303
tadre1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I am pretty sure they didn't assemble the suspension with a load on it at the factory. So what is the benefit of torquing the end link bolts with a load vs full droop?
tadre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:53 PM   #304
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Clunk on my ZLE = bad strut. Dealer confirmed, new part on order.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:13 PM   #305
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Driver front strut replaced (84384331 - Retail $2100 !!) under warranty. Front end clunk is GONE!

My car has newer spec end link and lock style washers from factory.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:48 PM   #306
tadre1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Well ... just got finished with drivers side sway bar end link swap with BMR ones and to my dismay the clunk is still there. What a pain in the rear to swap, would definitely be easier to use a lift. I used a jack stand. You will need to jack the strut to get the load off the end links, just gently raise it from under the front brake rotor which will compress the strut and take the load off the links and they will come out easier.. Any whooo's, I guess the next step is to replace the mcr strut??? ... wow that really sucks. Nothing was loose by the way. All the bolts were tight ... I swapped out cause I paid for them and was curious. Now I have to do the other side ... I used the bolts supplied by BMR and 12m nord lock washers. No loctite. I followed the same route as some of the others here on this forum and it also failed for me. The end links are not the culprit ... at least for me. Interesting note ... the link I took off part number: 23240971 which is the part number to the right end link not the left. Left link part number: 23240970. Are they interchangeable? If so ... then ok. I think I am going to change over to Mevotech sway bar end links. They are like the stock ones but have grease fittings and are non adjustable. I don't like the adjustable end links. I don't need them.

Last edited by tadre1; 03-31-2019 at 03:09 AM.
tadre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:24 AM   #307
LAPPEDbyZL1

Drives: 2018 Camaro zl1 1le
2018 ZLE. Clunking confirmed from Bad Front struts. Dealer replaced the front struts and the issue is gone. Curious if this is now going to be a common problem for ZLE owners
LAPPEDbyZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #308
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Had one replaced, i am fairly sure otherwise is starting the same sounds.

Clunk from the back on 1-2 shift sounds alot like my old car.. but it had 130,000 miles on it!!