Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-02-2022, 03:02 AM   #1
Waingro

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Convertible A10 MBM
The Value of HP Cars like the Zl1 during and after the EV transition

While the EV "transition" has all the rage right now (maybe it will subside a bit with present geopolitics), all of the new models are more truck and SUV related. Of course we all want the ZL1 for the experience so presumably there would be a premium for this type of car until an EV equivalent is available.

But what happens in the long term - it could take several year to develop a nice affordable EV track capable coupe/convertible. What happens to the G6 ZL1 over the next 5-10 years? Talk amongst yaselves.
Waingro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 05:34 AM   #2
Raisin Man

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Values higher over time. EV’s will bring expensive forced obsolescence by manufacturers, and more reliance on dealers for maintenance. Range anxiety limits utility of EV’s and is not easily solved. Other problems too, but rampant political correctness - and desire to adhere to the OEM’s EV playbooks as they spend billions developing these vehicles - suppresses more honest discussion on the many challenges associated with EV’s.
Raisin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 06:02 AM   #3
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
For my fellow Southern coastal type people:

Imagine yourself trying to evacuate from a cat 4 or 5 hurricane that is <24 hours away.

You and 500,000 other folks are going to try to evacuate on a highway in your cars. Battery electric cars. With 300 mile ranges. At some point you're going to need to recharge... say maybe 150-200 miles from home because after all you're only doing about 30 mph in traffic and you have the HVAC going.

There are 100,000 other vehicles just like yours, all needing to recharge. If they have armed police at every charging station (which they won't) they can enforce a 40% or 50% max charge limit.

Let's say then charging your car 10% to 50% takes 30 minutes (because when charging stations are full they cannot fast charge everyone at the same time) and there are 1000 charging ports available within range. 100,000 vehicles / 1000 = 100 * 0.5 = 50 hours.

That's right, it will take 2 days to charge everyone's car.

By then the hurricane is already gone by. And there's no power, so you wait by the side of the road for 2 more days before you can get a tow to recharge and go home. Hope you remembered your toilet paper.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 06:09 AM   #4
mariojas

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6 & 2023 Stinger GT AWD
Performance cars will be last, because we are the last who willingly replace our "smoke machines". That does not mean that those cars will be "late" and not track ready. I would guess nice EVs for us will be after next or second next battery breakthrough...
We need batteries with higher energy density - like having 1000 miles with the same weight as today so we can run from hurricane or have smaller, lighter batteries with say 200 miles range for our toys.

And the biggest problem is charging infrastructure - and house wiring, and utility... Not ready for simultaneous charging all the EVs around the block at once...

Charger sold! Better to sell, than waiting to be stolen...
mariojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 08:21 AM   #5
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
As far as value goes, I think our cars will be beloved by some and ostracized by others. I own both right now and while EVs make for great daily drivers due to their low operating costs and simplicity, they won't really scratch that itch for enthusiasts just yet. Maybe this will change in the future but for now most automakers will be focused on their high demand SUVs and pickups.

The value proposition for an EV sports coupe is basically instant torque and lower operating costs but you have to give up the exhaust note, vibration, shifting gears, etc. This is why I currently own both. If there are others that feel the same as me then our cars should hold their value pretty well.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 08:33 AM   #6
Newcastle

Drives: 2022 2 SS 1LE on order ....now a 23
The only winner in the EV game is China. It sickens me as to what is going on with our cars. How are they going to charge all these cars? I saw a video yesterday with a gas generator in the trunk of a Tesla. SMDH
Newcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 09:17 AM   #7
CruiznZ

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Even if there is a electric Camaro ZL1 one day that is comparable in performance (or even slightly better than the current), it'll never be as enjoyable in my mind. Cant be the sound of a V8 ramping up.
CruiznZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 09:39 AM   #8
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
For me, my switch to an EV is going to depend on what happens in the midterms. That will basically determine the future of multiple parts of our society. Gas prices at the current rate makes the ZL1 financially unwise. I have three scenarios in my head right now. Sell the ZL1 and make the switch to EV and keep my old sonoma. Sell all my cars and buy a new v8 truck or Sell everything except my ZL1 and buy a really cheap EV or hybrid like the ford maverick.
I don't think anyone can legitimately tell you what the future holds in regards to the auto industry without knowing how the political structure plays out in the next year and a half.
Old 03-02-2022, 09:45 AM   #9
mariojas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
For me, my switch to an EV is going to depend on what happens in the midterms. That will basically determine the future of multiple parts of our society. Gas prices at the current rate makes the ZL1 financially unwise. I have three scenarios in my head right now. Sell the ZL1 and make the switch to EV and keep my old sonoma. Sell all my cars and buy a new v8 truck or Sell everything except my ZL1 and buy a really cheap EV or hybrid like the ford maverick.
I don't think anyone can legitimately tell you what the future holds in regards to the auto industry without knowing how the political structure plays out in the next year and a half.
ICE cars are on a way to be doomed - that's for sure. Gas prices will go up to the point that you will never drive it to work ever again. BUT, it's not gonna happen over night. I am fairly confident that we have few solid years of no worries...

Old 03-02-2022, 11:39 AM   #10
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
If I had extra money, I would order a ZL-1 1LE with a manual and PDR, drain out all the gas, disconnect the battery, and sell it in about 10 years, with only delivery miles on it. I think it would be very valuable at that time.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 12:00 PM   #11
mariojas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
If I had extra money, I would order a ZL-1 1LE with a manual and PDR, drain out all the gas, disconnect the battery, and sell it in about 10 years, with only delivery miles on it. I think it would be very valuable at that time.
Might be only for a museum if there will be no gas around

Old 03-02-2022, 12:22 PM   #12
Mark R

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojas View Post
Might be only for a museum if there will be no gas around
I understand the concern, but this rush to EVs contains a lot of misinformation. For one, gasoline and diesel are unavoidable products of petroleum refining. If we want the plastics and oil for lubrication that we use now, we have to make gasoline and diesel.

Gas will probably be expensive in the future, but then again, it may not be. If most people are forced into EVs, and they still have to produce the gasoline as a result of refining oil for the other products we need, it might be relatively cheap.

Anyway, I'm not going to buy a 1LE for investment. I'm focused on finishing my off-grid house, and accumulating gold, bitcoin, and storing up food.
Old 03-02-2022, 12:35 PM   #13
mariojas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
I understand the concern, but this rush to EVs contains a lot of misinformation. For one, gasoline and diesel are unavoidable products of petroleum refining. If we want the plastics and oil for lubrication that we use now, we have to make gasoline and diesel.

Gas will probably be expensive in the future, but then again, it may not be. If most people are forced into EVs, and they still have to produce the gasoline as a result of refining oil for the other products we need, it might be relatively cheap.

Anyway, I'm not going to buy a 1LE for investment. I'm focused on finishing my off-grid house, and accumulating gold, bitcoin, and storing up food.
I agree, but... if most of people will use EVs then the availability of gas stations will be super limited. Might drive prices up, even if the produce will get cheaper from lower demand. We know that diesel and gas goes together, so if diesel demand will stay the same then we will have more gasoline to sell... But I don't know, I feel like most of the gas stations will close or switch to super-charging. Gasoline transport will get uneconomical as its cost will be spread over much much less gallons sold.
So what will happen? I don't know, but I see a lot of variables here.

If I wouldn't believe ICE will live for some time I wouldn't try hard to get Camaro right now

Old 03-02-2022, 12:43 PM   #14
Mark R

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojas View Post
I agree, but... if most of people will use EVs then the availability of gas stations will be super limited. Might drive prices up, even if the produce will get cheaper from lower demand. We know that diesel and gas goes together, so if diesel demand will stay the same then we will have more gasoline to sell... But I don't know, I feel like most of the gas stations will close or switch to super-charging. Gasoline transport will get uneconomical as its cost will be spread over much much less gallons sold.
So what will happen? I don't know, but I see a lot of variables here.

If I wouldn't believe ICE will live for some time I wouldn't try hard to get Camaro right now
I hope you get the Camaro you want. My ZL-1 is awesome. Lifetime car for me.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mark R; 03-02-2022 at 01:39 PM.