Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-14-2021, 07:07 PM   #1
partylyk1999

Drives: 2012 Nissan Altima
Question Buying a used 2017 2LT for only $19k, could use some advice?

I live in Austin, TX and can't find any 2LT's M6 in black. Majority of the ones I found were out of state, out of budget (over $25k), or had an accident.

However, I recently came across one that was only $19k at 32,000 miles. Carfax: looks clean, no title issues, no accidents, and had regular oil changes. Primarily driven in Michigan. But, it's located in Illinois and I'd have to fly to buy it. I should add, it's from CarLotz, and I found it through cars.com. It's not CPO and I think there's no warranty or it's expired.

Is this deal too good to be true? Is there a way to get a PPI without having to fly there first? Any general advice on how to approach this? This is my very first Camaro and I hope this is the one. Thank you!!

LINK TO CAR: https://downersgrove.carlotz.com/exp...deal_months=60

Last edited by partylyk1999; 03-15-2021 at 12:22 PM. Reason: including link to listing
partylyk1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:19 PM   #2
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by partylyk1999 View Post
I live in Austin, TX and can't find any 2LT's M6 in black. Majority of the ones I found were out of state, out of budget (over $25k), or had an accident.

However, I recently came across one that was only $19k at 32,000 miles. Carfax: looks clean, no title issues, no accidents, and had regular oil changes. Primarily driven in Michigan. But, it's located in Illinois and I'd have to fly to buy it. I should add, it's from CarLotz, and I found it through cars.com. It's not CPO and I think there's no warranty or it's expired.

Is this deal too good to be true? Is there a way to get a PPI without having to fly there first? Any general advice on how to approach this? This is my very first Camaro and I hope this is the one. Thank you!!
I'm also from ATX metro

Here is one for $24.8k -- https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Anyhow I'm kind of shocked myself. I had my fully optioned out 2SS appraised at a Chevy dealership not long ago and they only wanted to give me $25k for it.

Anyway I typically try not to make these sort of things work. It sounds like you will need to be prepared to pay more for the vehicle. I would just get to a point where you are capable of paying more than $25k then purchase instead of jumping through hoops.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:42 PM   #3
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
I'd go drive it, inspect it, etc..I'm in Michigan myself and the roads are not too friendly to the low profile tire and wheel setups.
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:34 AM   #4
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:

Add in the cost of an airline ticket, meals, a rental or similar, and the cost and hassle of getting it back to TX. I think you'll see that your budget is bigger than you thought it was...
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:54 AM   #5
Z28James

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS; 2020 Bolt
I know its not exactly what your looking for but there is a dealer near me that has a 2019 1LT BRAND NEW. I suspect it doesn't sell here in Milwaukee because its a vert and an M6.

But because it a new 2019 I bet you could get the deal of the century bc the dealer desperately wants off the lot.

I did sit it it while I was waiting to buy my SS and its a nice Camaro, especially for the price.

https://www.holzmotors.com/inventory...a3ds5k0111630/
Z28James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:05 AM   #6
Need4Camaro

^^^ I would respectfully disagree. I’ve made the mistake of compromising only to find that a year later I still wanted the car I initially had in mind and you will be in a car loan upside down unless you put down a significant down payment. Just save the money you need to get what you want. It may take longer but you will be much happier in the end.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:09 AM   #7
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
^^^ I would respectfully disagree. I’ve made the mistake of compromising only to find that a year later I still wanted the car I initially had in mind and you will be in a car loan upside down unless you put down a significant down payment. Just save the money you need to get what you want.
I agree that "going back later" is very costly. I bought a Double Cab Sierra and traded for a Crew Cab Silverado 9 months later because the smaller back seat just really didn't work for me like I had hoped it would (and I had always had crew cab).

Your point about being upside down in the loan is really only one specific way of looking at the fact that there's a massive hit to the wallet. Yes, a small downpayment leaves you upside down in a loan, but even a significant downpayment doesn't offset the heavy loss on first-year depreciation.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:17 AM   #8
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Playing the used car game can take some time if you're trying to get a specific spec. You typically have to be willing to compromise on something. Be it the spec, price, or location. In your case if you're willing to compromise on the 2LT, manual, or color, I'd bet you could find one closer to you if you wait. The one you found sounds decent, but once you count flights, gas, meals, hotel, mileage on the car, you're paying another like $1000 for the car out of pocket.

I've done the fly out to buy a car, drunkenly bought a Mustang on BaT, and it's generally not worth it for a common car. It's a pain in the ass, and you may get there is realize it's not what you really wanted.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:19 AM   #9
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
I agree that "going back later" is very costly. I bought a Double Cab Sierra and traded for a Crew Cab Silverado 9 months later because the smaller back seat just really didn't work for me like I had hoped it would (and I had always had crew cab).

Your point about being upside down in the loan is really only one specific way of looking at the fact that there's a massive hit to the wallet. Yes, a small downpayment leaves you upside down in a loan, but even a significant downpayment doesn't offset the heavy loss on first-year depreciation.

Yep, the biggest cost to cars is depreciation. For many it shows up as being upside down, but even if you had a big down payment, or straight up cash for the car, you're still out that money when you go to sell it.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 11:51 AM   #10
Need4Camaro

Yes, not denying that you won’t be out of that money, but because the OP will take such a hit on a car he may not be fully content with and desire to trade up later, the hit whether it be in the form of negative equity with a small down payment or lost value when paid in cash / large down payment will hurt twice as bad than waiting for the car he wants and taking the hit once rather than twice. Thats a lot of money to lose either in negative equity or devaluation if trading in twice within a short period of time.

It’s just one of those things where if I could go back and do it all over again, I would have skipped my previous two Camaro’s (5th Gen V6 and 6th Gen V6) while great cars, I ended up wanting the SS anyway and would have came out much further ahead if I had just waited and saved up.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:25 PM   #11
partylyk1999

Drives: 2012 Nissan Altima
Thanks for the responses guys! Yeah I'm set on the Black 2LT. I might settle for a 1LT, but it's got to be black and RS. I much prefer the 2LT though - it'll be my daily driver, and the i4 is just fun enough for me to whip around. Never had a sports car before!

I included the link above, here it is again: https://downersgrove.carlotz.com/exp...deal_months=60

Just trying to figure out... why is this thing so damn cheap? Like the carfax and photos look good, so I'm thinking of pulling the trigger. Am I missing something in that listing?

Flights/travel is not an issue for me. I have plenty of flight vouchers, so travel would cost me very little.
partylyk1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:26 PM   #12
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
I know where you can get a 2019 SS for cheap. Needs some body work and airbags

But for real, 20K seems about right for that car.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:31 PM   #13
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Thanks for the responses guys! Yeah I'm set on the Black 2LT. I might settle for a 1LT, but it's got to be black and RS. I much prefer the 2LT though - it'll be my daily driver, and the i4 is just fun enough for me to whip around. Never had a sports car before!

I included the link above, here it is again: https://downersgrove.carlotz.com/exp...deal_months=60

Just trying to figure out... why is this thing so damn cheap? Like the carfax and photos look good, so I'm thinking of pulling the trigger. Am I missing something in that listing?

Flights/travel is not an issue for me. I have plenty of flight vouchers, so travel would cost me very little.
On that site, it is listed as a 4 Cyl and not a V6. Call and confirm if it’s a 4 Cyl or a V6. If it’s a 4 Cyl, that’s the reason it’s much cheaper.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:52 PM   #14
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
On that site, it is listed as a 4 Cyl and not a V6. Call and confirm if it’s a 4 Cyl or a V6. If it’s a 4 Cyl, that’s the reason it’s much cheaper.
Look at the photo of the engine bay.. it is definitely the 4 cylinder.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2lt rs, advice or opinions, buying, used car