Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-17-2015, 06:52 PM   #1
dantemcc

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
What roads do you love to drive your Camaro on?

Just looking to get some info on what roads you all love to drive your cars on and sometimes see what your car can do on them? My next episode for my show I'll be driving the R8 and dont want to go back to Tail of the Dragon because I've already been there. I've gotten a couple cool roads from other member and are looking for more. I have a few more episodes lined up with some more sports cars and four door sports sedans (E63, M5) so I needed some good roads to drive and film them on. We all own powerful muscle cars and like to drive them, so what better place to ask for good roads than here. They can be any type of road. They dont just have to be twisty roads. They could be scenic, rural, back roads ANYTHING you all like. Just need to know where they are I.E towns they go through, what state and road ID (US 129 etc).

I dont really get to drive Bee on great roads because I'm either working or filming. So I really dont have any. Sad and lame, I know.
dantemcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:01 PM   #2
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Winding, mountain, California roads are beautiful... I shot this vid a few months back coming from Bakersfield through the Ventura mountains into LA, then Riverside... took it real easy since It was my first time through this highway...
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:13 PM   #3
CRISSIS

Drives: '14 ZL1 'Vert - Black, #742
There are some nice turns on Falls Road North of Baltimore, but you got to be out early on the weekend to avoid other drivers.
CRISSIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:14 PM   #4
dantemcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Winding, mountain, California roads are beautiful... I shot this vid a few months back coming from Bakersfield through the Ventura mountains into LA, then Riverside... took it real easy since It was my first time through this highway...
What direction was that? Thats a gorgeous looking road, but definitely want to do it with the sun behind me, rather than in my face. Checking it on my road atlas I wonder why i never been on it, only to realize its restricted to trucks.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:24 PM   #5
Everest

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 Rally Yellow Sun Roof
Open
Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:27 PM   #6
Spec
Account Suspended

The vid shows me heading south southeast, then south southwest, Sunday Morning around 8am. The sun was just rising and was not really an issue during those short parts heading east. Its definitely not restricted to trucks either as you can see from the traffic heading north. Its just a normal highway cutting through the mountains instead of taking I-5 through the grapevine, or the 101 through the coast;
Attached Images

Last edited by Spec; 06-17-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:36 PM   #7
dantemcc

Unfortunately, Google maps doesnt show truck restrictions. LOL. Believe me, I know. But, that is definitely a nice looking road. I'm headed out to cali in December to get some footage of highway 1. Lived in the bay area for a few years and got the chance to take that road from Monterrey down to the 101. The best coastal road I've been on. Other than 99A in Florida.

Last edited by dantemcc; 06-17-2015 at 07:51 PM. Reason: spelled show wrong
Old 06-17-2015, 07:49 PM   #8
Spec
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantemcc View Post
Unfortunately, Google maps doesnt shot truck restrictions. LOL. Believe me, I know. But, that is definitely a nice looking road. I'm headed out to cali in December to get some footage of highway 1. Lived in the bay area for a few years and got the chance to take that road from Monterrey down to the 101. The best coastal road I've been on. Other than 99A in Florida.
Driving up the coast through the 101 from Santa Barbara to the Bay is amazing. One of my Ex GF's lived in Fresno while I was living in West Covina. I have my 4th Gen 99 Z28 and I would take the 101 North through Paso Robles all the time. When I lived in Santa Rosa for a few months (north of San Francisco) it was the other way around and I got to know the coast North of Paso Robles very well. I love it out here... cept for the stupid laws we have and some would agree, Cali has some beautiful roads that you can cruise year-round.

Hope you have a blast when you get back!
Old 06-17-2015, 08:17 PM   #9
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Kancamagus Hwy, white moutains New Hampshire.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...amagus+highway
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:19 PM   #10
Ed Sanborn

Drives: 2013 rally yellow camaro SS/RS.
Location: Located in North Carolina, Asheville Camaro is licensed in Alaska
Had a chance to drive a portion of the Blue Ridge Pkwy a couple weeks ago. Had a blast. Can drive the speed limit and still have fun. Scenery's not to bad either.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:21 PM   #11
nosmr2

Drives: 2011 L99 SS
Anyone know of anything fun or scenic around Houston. I haven't got a clue.
nosmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:37 PM   #12
Mortious
Ammo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3 M6)
Twisted sisters, its about 130 miles of great Texas Hill Country roads.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/55...5-336337a.html
Old 06-17-2015, 10:11 PM   #13
Spec
Account Suspended

Didn't know the LA Times wrote about California State Route 33 a few back... if you guys are out here some time, I highly recommend it. Go for the 300 mile run from Norcal to Socal or vice versa if you can. Its beautiful country for when the old 101 starts to get boring with all that traffic and junk.

---

LA Times:

California is laced with fabled roadways: Highway 1, the Golden State, El Camino Real, Route 66 and many others. Some follow the footpaths of padres, the trails of wagon trains. And some are monuments to the Freeway Age and California's bearhug embrace of Car Culture.

State Highway 33 will not be confused with any of these asphalt icons. Nobody's likely to write a song about Highway 33, although in one stretch it does cut through Buck Owens country. Nor will a literary anthology be built around it, as was done not long ago with the Central Valley's Highway 99.

Still, to travel this two-lane from top to bottom -- a 300-mile drive that begins just below the San Francisco Bay delta, passes through the San Joaquin Valley's west side, crosses steep coastal mountains and ends at Ventura, where Highway 33 disappears into the 101 -- is to tour what might be called the real California.

Through a bug-splattered windshield, it's all there to see:

Improbably far-flung subdivisions, their outward march stalled only by the mortgage mess; rolling croplands crisscrossed by irrigation canals; a young patriot's grave, the four flags at his tombstone fluttering in a hot valley wind; a hulking new federal prison, rising from cantaloupe fields; West Hills oil rigs, pumping furiously in a new boom; panoramic views of unspoiled high country; and, finally, the Pacific at sunset, 5,000 feet below.

Comparatively few people drive Highway 33; even fewer make the run from end to end. Highway 1, dancing along the coast, offers better scenery, and Interstate 5, a more-or-less parallel route, greater speed and efficiency. No, this is a workaday road, a highway for short-haul truckers and agricultural sales reps, for convoys of harvesters, vans shuttling prisoners and even the occasional lone tractor.

It is a good road for someone seeking to reacquaint himself with a vexing old friend: California. Sometimes, the best way to make sense of this state is simply to get out into it, to take a look around and refresh the eyes. And, here and there, to make some stops along the way.

---

Here's the route I took that trip;

After Maricopa, it's a little less than two hours to Ventura. The highway jogs past the southern flank of the vast Carrizo Plain and then, running along the Cuyama River, begins to climb through a rolling landscape of hayfields and vines -- a stunning landscape and a reminder of California's enduring capacity to surprise: No matter how much of it you believe you've seen, there's always more.

Here Highway 33 becomes an almost forgotten road, carrying only a few hundred vehicles a day. It leads into Los Padres National Forest, which crests at 5,000 feet on Pine Mountain, with its woods, waterfalls and an abundance of white Matilija poppies. To the west, the roadside flowers compete for attention with the still-vivid scars of the vast Zaca fire of last summer.

After the crest, the descent into Ojai and Ventura begins. At certain bends, it's now possible to catch glimpses of the Santa Barbara Channel. The climb down doesn't take long. On a road sign 33 miles from the coast, a first splash of graffiti. The radio begins to pick up scratchy traffic bulletins from Los Angeles, and there's a haze on the horizon.

At the bottom, Highway 33 widens and then, after a few miles, disappears into the thrumming currents of U.S. 101, packed with evening traffic headed south to Los Angeles or north to Santa Barbara, San Francisco and beyond, to different pieces of the wonderfully strange puzzle that is California.

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-o...l07-story.html
Old 06-17-2015, 10:39 PM   #14
cajun1le
The Mechanic

Drives: a sports car
dantemcc,

There are plenty of cruising roads east of Atlanta with minimal stops, elevation changes and turns. You just need to go exploring around and see what's out there. Case and point, every other year I make it up for Petit LeMans and it never fails that I'll find myself on a newly discovered twisty road that's just off the beaten path. I would suggest asking google for scenic byways in your area or use google maps/earth on something with a big screen (preferably on a computer). And then there's Deal's Gap that's three hours away, but you've already been there.
cajun1le is offline   Reply With Quote