#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-17-2022, 07:28 PM   #183
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Yes, Ford will own a shrinking and near dead segment. Good for them. Sad for us but we are an ever shrinking group of enthusiasts. Long gone are the days when GM had a plant in California AND Ohio to build F-Body coupes for two brands
Oh your not wrong. It’s dying, but I do think the next Gen mustang will do well… they have no competition. Now I have my own thoughts on electric grid issues in general but that’s a completely different discussion.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:28 PM   #184
Cmax

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS FIFTY convertible
I reckon that whirring sound is gonna get the crowd cheering at a Mecum auction in ten years….. wahoo…..
I was waiting for a high decibel muscle car roar….it was silly.
How did it rev to get the sound….fake clutch?
Cmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:42 PM   #185
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
So it looks decent, sounds like shit.

https://blog.stellantisnorthamerica....rified-future/
Well, this is a very strange design variation on the old Charger or the more recent Challenger body, let me just put it this way.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:03 PM   #186
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
So what do you think is the next growing segment? The compact SUV market is absolutely FLOODED and already has the old lady vehicle stigma. What will younger buyers buy in the coming years?
LOL if I knew that I’d be rich. Probably still posting on Canaro5/6 but rich.
Old 08-17-2022, 08:05 PM   #187
Chrome383Z

Quote:
So what do you think is the next growing segment? The compact SUV market is absolutely FLOODED and already has the old lady vehicle stigma. What will younger buyers buy in the coming years?
Unfortunately I don’t think younger buyers care about cars. My son does but I have indoctrinated him. lol
Old 08-17-2022, 08:08 PM   #188
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Ok, watched the Dodge launch. First, look up the movie The Wraith. Second fake noises are bad. GM years ago talked about interior materials and used term “authentic”. Meaning authentic materials, carbon, aluminum, wood. Not plastic. When Dodge first announced this they alluded to the “noise” this car would make. Sadly……this turned out to be exactly what I feared….The Wraith.

Oh, and Pontiac was awayyyyyyy ahead with Banshee.

Last edited by Number 3; 08-18-2022 at 05:44 AM.
Number 3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:31 PM   #189
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome383Z View Post
I actually disagree. It’s an EV, own it. While I agree the thought put into it was well placed, it just seems like well I wish I was ICE so I’ll pretend I am.

Looks ok to me, looks like a Challenger.
They have to keep the Dodge Brotherhood happy. If Dodge just builds a basic EV then how do they differentiate themselves? They will lose big time. They are just trying to maintain some of that customer Charger/ Challenger customer base.

Keep in mind, all of these manufacturers have a lot of proving to do with their 1st gen EVs. It is not just about looks and whether you can keep the battery from overheating and burning down your house while charging. These companies require a whole new cloud management platform to manage the fleet of vehicles. The UI and ability for the engineers to properly tune and update these vehicles over the air will take time to refine. You have to remember EVs are getting updates all the time. I got two updates on my Tesla this month alone. They just added a chime alert now for when the light turns green and you are not paying attention and the ability to tell the car what tires you have so it can update it range algorithm accuracy. There is so much software going on that is requires a different set of skills. This is probably why you see the two separate divisions at Ford.

Battery management systems are quite complex and are critical to getting the advertised range and lifespan from the battery. One example is proper heating of the battery to accept a fast charge. In a Tesla when you navigate to a supercharger the battery management system automatically begins to heat the battery for you. Another caveat of BEVs is how regen works. If your battery is at a high state of charge you will not be able to use as much regen braking which makes the car feel different depending on the charge level and temperature of the battery. So, Tesla will automatically mix in some friction braking to make it feel the same regardless of the state of charge. These are just some examples to the tuning that is required to these EVs dialed in and these tweaks and features arrive via updates all the time. I am not suggesting that they won’t be able to do it but they have some proving to do when it comes executing the driving characteristics and UI. It sound like they are working on some cool features but things like that fake exhaust sound need to be user selectable, etc.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 10:26 PM   #190
Chrome383Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
They have to keep the Dodge Brotherhood happy. If Dodge just builds a basic EV then how do they differentiate themselves? They will lose big time. They are just trying to maintain some of that customer Charger/ Challenger customer base.
I think they’ll lose the current base, however maybe open themselves up to a larger younger base. That’s totally possible. Although the younger folks probably won’t be able to afford it. Prob be a $80k+ car.

It’ll be interesting to see if they dump the dumb sound. Online reaction so far from what I’ve seen is very negative on that.
Old 08-17-2022, 10:32 PM   #191
cooldawg

Drives: RAM
Quote:
I for one can't wait to order a Dodge EV Government Mandate Edition in EPA Green paint.
With pedal attachments if you’re naughty. I hate it. No character, at all. I need to get an ICE challenger or Camaro on order…
cooldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:34 PM   #192
Chrome383Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
The August 17th announcement will blow the lid off this thread.
I’m not impressed. What exactly did they show? Nothing. A Tesla Plaid competitor (maybe we don’t know HP numbers yet) that makes stupid sounds when you push a button and tries to shift like an ICE car.

I watched the unveil because I thought it was going to be cool even though I was skeptical based on your info. It was not.
Old 08-18-2022, 05:31 AM   #193
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome383Z View Post
I’m not impressed. What exactly did they show? Nothing. A Tesla Plaid competitor (maybe we don’t know HP numbers yet) that makes stupid sounds when you push a button and tries to shift like an ICE car.

I watched the unveil because I thought it was going to be cool even though I was skeptical based on your info. It was not.
I agree.

It looks ok, much better than a Tesla. What car enthusiast is excited about fake sound? Anyone excited to get aftermarket speakers so your sewing machine will sound rad, but not perform a bit better?

What did this reveal show us? It looks decent and sounds like crap. Did we learn anything beyond that? No.

I predict Stallantis will need a new CEO very soon when this POS bombs with the charger/challenger faithful. How fast is it? How does it handle? Range? Charging time? If these were good numbers they would have released them. It’s not going to attract the sedan Tesla crowd nor will it attract muscle car lovers. It’s the 21st century Edsel.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 05:53 AM   #194
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post

Keep in mind, all of these manufacturers have a lot of proving to do with their 1st gen EVs. It is not just about looks and whether you can keep the battery from overheating and burning down your house while charging. These companies require a whole new cloud management platform to manage the fleet of vehicles. The UI and ability for the engineers to properly tune and update these vehicles over the air will take time to refine. You have to remember EVs are getting updates all the time. I got two updates on my Tesla this month alone. They just added a chime alert now for when the light turns green and you are not paying attention and the ability to tell the car what tires you have so it can update it range algorithm accuracy. There is so much software going on that is requires a different set of skills. This is probably why you see the two separate divisions at Ford.

Battery management systems are quite complex and are critical to getting the advertised range and lifespan from the battery. One example is proper heating of the battery to accept a fast charge. In a Tesla when you navigate to a supercharger the battery management system automatically begins to heat the battery for you. Another caveat of BEVs is how regen works. If your battery is at a high state of charge you will not be able to use as much regen braking which makes the car feel different depending on the charge level and temperature of the battery. So, Tesla will automatically mix in some friction braking to make it feel the same regardless of the state of charge. These are just some examples to the tuning that is required to these EVs dialed in and these tweaks and features arrive via updates all the time. I am not suggesting that they won’t be able to do it but they have some proving to do when it comes executing the driving characteristics and UI. It sound like they are working on some cool features but things like that fake exhaust sound need to be user selectable, etc.
I think Tesla sends updates so the customer feels a small “I’ve got a cool car” reminder. Sometimes it’s just a game update.

But although a crude platform for doing it GM has used OnStar to download updates. But as you’ve pointed out what’s coming is much bigger. UltiFi?
Old 08-18-2022, 06:58 AM   #195
brap999

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
I for one can't wait to order a Dodge EV Government Mandate Edition in EPA Green paint.
I work in government buildings, and I wish they are forced to do this. It would be the cheapest paint and the cheapest materials with the most out of date color green possible.
1998 Dodge Viper GTS
1972 Pontiac GTO
1963 Chevy C10 short bed, T5, 350, lowered
brap999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:58 AM   #196
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
I agree.

It looks ok, much better than a Tesla. What car enthusiast is excited about fake sound? Anyone excited to get aftermarket speakers so your sewing machine will sound rad, but not perform a bit better?

What did this reveal show us? It looks decent and sounds like crap. Did we learn anything beyond that? No.

I predict Stallantis will need a new CEO very soon when this POS bombs with the charger/challenger faithful. How fast is it? How does it handle? Range? Charging time? If these were good numbers they would have released them. It’s not going to attract the sedan Tesla crowd nor will it attract muscle car lovers. It’s the 21st century Edsel.
Yeah, a lot of the stuff they showed is marketing fluff and party tricks. Powershot to pass, fake sound, simulated gear shifts. There really is no point in simulating shifts in an EV. Any attempt to interrupt the torque will just slow you down. The EV powertrain is supposed to be instant and continuous as possible otherwise you are just hindering performance.

As for then performance, they said it is an 800v system which is no big deal. That is the same level as a Hyundai Ionic 5. I think they will be able to beat the Hellcat 0-60 times with dual motor AWD but I question if the top end performance will be better. If it is it will cost over $100k. They also mentioned like 9 power levels from which is more of a money grab. To keep production costs down they will not have a bunch of different batteries, motors and inverters. They will just dial performance up and down in software. You want 0-60 in 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0, 5.5, then here is your software configuration.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote