Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-17-2019, 11:54 PM   #1
Giri
Soon to be Millionaire

Drives: Blue 2016 Camaro
Long Term A8 Shudder Damage

I'm sure many of you are going through the A8 shudder, just like I am.

I've had the shudder pretty bad for the last year and a half on and off. I'd say my shudder was pretty severe - sounded like you were driving over rumble strips. The dealership did one flush in 2018 which temporarily fixed the shudder.

A couple months later the issue popped up again and the dealership told me that another flush would be $500 cash since I was past my powertrain warranty.

I've been educated recently on the shudder, and how it's related to the Torque converter. Apparently the shudder comes from aeration and over time will lead to permanent damage.

Apparently an aftermarket torque converter is the appropriate permanent fix for the A8 shudder and GM is just reaching around and screwing everyone over by putting a bandaid on the problem till everyones warranties expire.

Is it worth getting the upgraded torque converter? How much of a difference will it really make and how much of a difference does it make with 0-60 times?
Old 10-18-2019, 04:13 AM   #2
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
I've heard the exact same as you. I guess we will know for sure as time goes on and this new fluid and flush either works or it doesn't
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:57 AM   #3
Wilka_SS

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Metallic Grey 2ss
You should be able to get the new flush considering its an ongoing problem. Either way I got a 3600 converter and love it.
Wilka_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:20 AM   #4
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Your dealer is a douche. Fluid flush isn't 500.00. Try somewhere else and show documentation that you had the prior flush done under warranty and it didn't fix the problem. You should be able to get the new flush done for free.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:36 PM   #5
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
the dealer charges $18.99 a qt and the flush requires 20qts per the TSB. The TSB states 1.4hrs. my dealer told me they would sell the Mobil 1 LV HP ATF to me for $12.99qt. you can buy it at Summitracing for $12.99qt or $70 per 6qt case. https://www.summitracing.com/search/...0lv%20hp%20atf
Attached Images
File Type: pdf TSB 18-NA-355.pdf (677.0 KB, 165 views)
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:54 PM   #6
Giri
Soon to be Millionaire

Is there any potential risk or problems with a new (stronger) torque converter?

I’d like to have this car running in a decade I’m trying to make the best long-term decision.

I don’t want to pay for a fluid flush if the problem is just going to come back.

I have insurance that will pay for the upgraded torque converter and I guess I’m trying to decide if that is the right decision to make.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:44 PM   #7
Captain J

Drives: 2017 V6 RS Covertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
the dealer charges $18.99 a qt and the flush requires 20qts per the TSB. The TSB states 1.4hrs. my dealer told me they would sell the Mobil 1 LV HP ATF to me for $12.99qt. you can buy it at Summitracing for $12.99qt or $70 per 6qt case. https://www.summitracing.com/search/...0lv%20hp%20atf
Find a different dealer. There is a service bulletin on this issue. There shouldn't be a charge to fix this. I had it done at 1100 miles and it was good for 6000 miles. Now, at 7300 miles it's starting to vibrate again. I'll be taking it back for a second time soon.
Captain J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:07 AM   #8
JCunningham

problem is dealer cant duplicate it. I looked at the trip data on onstar. they drove it plenty. It doesnt do it after I pick it up either. Iv taken it in twice for the problem. The 1st time it did it. It did it the whole day for the 100 miles or so i drove it that day and for 2 days after. less and less both days. I didnt have time to take it in. the day i took it in it didnt do it. they couldnt get it to do it and they drove it for 45min. then a week later it started ding it again. I took it right down but they let it sit for a hour and they couldnt get it to do it driving it for 15min. I got it back and it hasnt done it again for the last 3 days. I have it on my HP scanner but thats no good for GM. The dealer has to send in the scan in the TSB.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 10-20-2019, 02:25 AM   #9
EMTNLSS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
problem is dealer cant duplicate it. I looked at the trip data on onstar. they drove it plenty. It doesnt do it after I pick it up either. Iv taken it in twice for the problem. The 1st time it did it. It did it the whole day for the 100 miles or so i drove it that day and for 2 days after. less and less both days. I didnt have time to take it in. the day i took it in it didnt do it. they couldnt get it to do it and they drove it for 45min. then a week later it started ding it again. I took it right down but they let it sit for a hour and they couldnt get it to do it driving it for 15min. I got it back and it hasnt done it again for the last 3 days. I have it on my HP scanner but thats no good for GM. The dealer has to send in the scan in the TSB.
They don't need to verify it anymore with the latest TSB. You just have to tell them it's doing it and that should be good enough. You can find the updated TSB in this thread: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559735

Current Mods: Catch Can | aFe Lowering Springs | GM 2nd Gen Splitter | Hotchkis Sway Bars | MRR FS02 Wheels | Flowmaster Exhaust | Dark Tail Lights | Diode Dynamics Sidemarkers | Roto Fab | Solar TB | PRAY Ported IM | BMR | TSP 1 7/8" Catted Headers | PRAY Tune

Upcoming Mods:
EMTNLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:48 AM   #10
JCunningham

thank you very much. ill inform my dealer.

Last edited by JCunningham; 10-20-2019 at 03:00 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:48 AM   #11
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giri View Post
I'm sure many of you are going through the A8 shudder, just like I am.

I've had the shudder pretty bad for the last year and a half on and off. I'd say my shudder was pretty severe - sounded like you were driving over rumble strips. The dealership did one flush in 2018 which temporarily fixed the shudder.

A couple months later the issue popped up again and the dealership told me that another flush would be $500 cash since I was past my powertrain warranty.

I've been educated recently on the shudder, and how it's related to the Torque converter. Apparently the shudder comes from aeration and over time will lead to permanent damage.

Apparently an aftermarket torque converter is the appropriate permanent fix for the A8 shudder and GM is just reaching around and screwing everyone over by putting a bandaid on the problem till everyones warranties expire.

Is it worth getting the upgraded torque converter? How much of a difference will it really make and how much of a difference does it make with 0-60 times?
You have over 60,000 miles on your Camaro?
Old 10-20-2019, 10:25 AM   #12
Giri
Soon to be Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
You have over 60,000 miles on your Camaro?

I have over 75,000
Old 10-20-2019, 10:31 AM   #13
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Which service bulliten for the fluid and flush did you get? You say you have 75,000 miles on the car now. When did the shudder start?
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:13 PM   #14
JCunningham

this is the new tsb stating they have to do it on complaint.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf TSB 18-NA-355.pdf (779.0 KB, 176 views)