Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-23-2018, 01:39 PM   #1
LeeCamaro1SS

Drives: 2018 White Summit Camaro 1SS w/NPP
Burning Smell From The Engine?

Hey guys, I got a A8 and was using the Manual Mode (Paddle Shift) while driving. When I got back home, there was this burning smell coming from the engine. I check and it seems fine to me. Is this normal?
LeeCamaro1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
You just have an oil change?
Old 04-23-2018, 02:58 PM   #3
LeeCamaro1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
You just have an oil change?
Nope. I'm at 35% on oil atm.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:09 PM   #4
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Ok, check under the car to see if anything bounced up and got stuck to your exhaust manifolds,

If nothing is there, then check your serpentine belt assembly and make sure it is not rubbing your wiring harness. Some people have had this issue occur when driving spiritedly. I have provided a link for more information on the issue below.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=490819&page=5
Old 04-23-2018, 03:19 PM   #5
LeeCamaro1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
Ok, check under the car to see if anything bounced up and got stuck to your exhaust manifolds,

If nothing is there, then check your serpentine belt assembly and make sure it is not rubbing your wiring harness. Some people have had this issue occur when driving spiritedly. I have provided a link for more information on the issue below.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=490819&page=5
I'll check. Thank You
Old 04-23-2018, 05:48 PM   #6
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeCamaro1SS View Post
I'll check. Thank You
No problem!
Old 04-23-2018, 08:38 PM   #7
4mulafastech

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeCamaro1SS View Post
Hey guys, I got a A8 and was using the Manual Mode (Paddle Shift) while driving. When I got back home, there was this burning smell coming from the engine. I check and it seems fine to me. Is this normal?
How many miles are on the engine? You mention that you were using manual mode, so probably running a little harder than normal... I noticed with my 1LE under 500 miles I started pushing the engine, running higher rpm and accelerating harder. Parked in the garage and there were some ‘new’ smells. I wouldn’t call it a burning smell, more like cooking some of the newness off the engine. Have a 1000 miles on her now and it is much less. Just a thought.

4mulafastech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #8
Divrdown

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
I have had the same issue with my 17 since new (August) as well. I am at 1800 miles with one oil change done a few months ago. Had the same smell before and after the oil change. This is not the typical new car smell of burning off coatings or heat cycling. We checked under the car and did not see any leaks or wet spots that could lead to the smell. The only time that I get the burning smell is when I come to a stop and sit for a minute or when I back up up.
I did see some other posts on this but no problem found other than the one linked to about the wire harness and mine appears to be fine.
Looking for any other things to check.??
Divrdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:12 PM   #9
Divrdown

OK I just went out and jacked up the car to check the rear differential as there are cooling lines going to and from it and thought it may be leaking. I found that where the differential is mounted using bushings towards the front of the car there is fluid all around them. This fluid is then dripping down onto the exhaust just enough to leave a stain where its burning off.
The bushing is just a rubber or polyurethane bushing inside the cast housing and of course there are no fittings. Does anyone know if these are supposed to be filled / sealed with grease? I went ahead and cleaned all of the run off with a cleaner to see if this cures the burning smell. I attached a couple of pictures to show the parts.
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2018, 05:24 PM   #10
Magnum922

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, A8
Magnum922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:12 PM   #11
LeeCamaro1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mulafastech View Post
How many miles are on the engine? You mention that you were using manual mode, so probably running a little harder than normal... I noticed with my 1LE under 500 miles I started pushing the engine, running higher rpm and accelerating harder. Parked in the garage and there were some ‘new’ smells. I wouldn’t call it a burning smell, more like cooking some of the newness off the engine. Have a 1000 miles on her now and it is much less. Just a thought.
Got mine back in February all new. At almost 5k Miles on it.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:17 PM   #12
LeeCamaro1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divrdown View Post
I have had the same issue with my 17 since new (August) as well. I am at 1800 miles with one oil change done a few months ago. Had the same smell before and after the oil change. This is not the typical new car smell of burning off coatings or heat cycling. We checked under the car and did not see any leaks or wet spots that could lead to the smell. The only time that I get the burning smell is when I come to a stop and sit for a minute or when I back up up.
I did see some other posts on this but no problem found other than the one linked to about the wire harness and mine appears to be fine.
Looking for any other things to check.??
[Update]: My burning smell from the engine is gone when I'm not using manual mode on the A8. I think I hold the gear to long when you needed to shift it.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:40 PM   #13
Divrdown

So anyone with info on these bushings? It was really saturated with the grease.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:58 PM   #14
njweatherman

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS, redline edition
Just to update this thread. I purchased my 2018 2ss, automatic back in late August. I still get the burning smell now at 3100 miles. It seems to be coming from the rear of the car. Has anyone found the cause?
njweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote