Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #1
kIng_kOng

Drives: 2010 IOSS
Aftermarket Intake question

hey guys hope all is well. my question is, will a holly mid-ride intake clear the factory hood? Im in the market for a intake and prefer that one as it worked well on my Malibu. I know of the FAST intakes but don't want one.

thanks,

J
kIng_kOng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:52 PM   #2
kIng_kOng

Drives: 2010 IOSS
Anyone with a intake?
kIng_kOng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:32 AM   #3
Gregss1le
Asskicker

Drives: '15 Camaro Blue Velvet Metallic 1le
are you running a factory tower brace ?? By the look of them, I wouldn't think it will clear the hood, however I would be wondering about the firewall a lot more.

Good luck with your Holly Mid Rise though.

2015 Camaro 1ss 1le
1991 Camaro LsX-not stock
Gregss1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:31 PM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I think the problem is with firewall interference on the order of remaking a windshield wiper arm and cutting out part of the firewall for some sheet metal intakes/ mid rise etc.. that I have seen over the years. The rear of the engine has the firewall over part of the engine making it a problem.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:53 PM   #5
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375359

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397468

Sounds like it is a tight fit under the hood, with other modifications required. Maybe send a PM to someone who has one in those threads?
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:18 PM   #6
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kIng_kOng View Post
hey guys hope all is well. my question is, will a holly mid-ride intake clear the factory hood? Im in the market for a intake and prefer that one as it worked well on my Malibu. I know of the FAST intakes but don't want one.

thanks,

J
Well Mr. Kong, without more associated hardware its been proven the stock intake is pretty good. I was looking at the FAST then decided against spending 900+ for something that you could use that money better elsewhere. Now if you're going to build the engine and have it at its peak and nothing more to do then by all means purchase a new intake.

My comment is only based on your question and not knowing if there is any supporting hardware.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:57 AM   #7
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
You would find the gains more top end with a longer runner and not the most street friendly but ok, and a Nick Williams 102 would be drive by wire for better TB. Also yes I have seen the nice painted intakes on ebay and such with new fuel crossover and rails and they look nice but don't see people doing them as heat soak for a daily driver versus phenolic and clearance of the firewall.
I still may do one some day though myself, and wish a company called Vararam would have actually produced its intake it designed the VRX that never came on the market as it had very good results then .....faded. They also were making Copo intakes etc.. It had a nice dual plenum long runner design with different top bowed out curve to the intake to feed the runners and was like 40+ HP and phenolic... but the dang thing never got made to production and then they came out with the just a cold air box called the vrx dx and disappointed many of us that watched their development over time as they fought for copy right/ patent etc.. And we watched MSD airforce's not come out for the LS3 because its gains were not worth the money compared to stock on a stock ls3. And a Fast intake is better for larger cubes/ more aggressive cam etc....

Just a little history, good luck.