#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-03-2019, 05:00 PM   #29
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
Yeah he was parked near my garage, I met him and learned about his car. His top had a nice coat of BW dust by the end of the day :-)
lol, probably when he came into sunset hot and went right off the end
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:57 PM   #30
Skinley

Drives: Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Can i ask why non of you go to spring mountain, now that's very technical track, is it to far for most?
I live in Las Vegas and go out to Spring Mountain in my Zl1 as often as I can. I usually go with Porsche Club as they have driver education events out there at least 4 times a year. I also crashed the Shelby bash track day that was recently held there. It was fun being the only Camaro there amongst a whole bunch of GT350's!
Skinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:40 PM   #31
Stealth7

Drives: Gen V Viper GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
nice where in hb? also do you local guys have facebook if so check out socal 6th gen on fb i run the group over 700 local guys!

this is the link to the thread about fontana weekend

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550494

ive only done fontana in my camaro but have done streets of willow and big willow in my old car but it was fwd and not as fast lol but definately on my list

ongrid is doing a big willow event later summer for chairty might go to that
My ZL1 came from Hendrick's in SD as well (5/30/19 I think).

We live near the beach on the street of Pacific City.

Not sure I will make Fontana on 5/4 or 5/5 since we leave on a trip soon after, but I will make it soon.

Speedventures has always been a pretty reasonable group in my experience.
Stealth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:23 PM   #32
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
I’ll never race with Speed Ventures again. Made that decision several years ago, and reaffirmed it last weekend while out coaching on Saturday for a buddy in an SS1LE. INSANE car counts, and more drivers going 4-off than any organization I’ve ever ran with.

The tower cafe was literally packed to the brim during the drivers meeting, with overflow outside. Not even room to stand. I took video of it because I was in awe of the driver count. I have like 20 stories from on track insanity from Saturday lol.

I stick to Speed District for HPDE: low car count limits and better drivers in my experience. And race with GTA.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:47 AM   #33
Stealth7

Drives: Gen V Viper GTS
I have heard good things about Speed District as well. Speed Ventures' run group sizes have been reasonable at Fontana and Big Willow on the days I have attended. It is unfortunate that they would not limit the run group sizes at ButtonWillow simply through the sign ups.

One thing I started to do is go down 1 level on the run group To get nicer cars so that the other drivers had skin in the game - I was in my new Viper at the time most recently. Be read group is technically the race group and the group right below red is usually the most crowded. And that group most cars were running race rubber and driving very aggressively. Race rubber picks up and throws more to debris. For me anyway, a HPDE Is an opportunity to have some fun; there is no chance that I will be leaving with a trophy or money so I want to make sure that I have an excellent chance of leaving with my vehicle intact. When you enter the race track you have to sign a release so if somebody in a $500 car held together by duct tape hits you, your avenues of recourse are limited. Accordingly, I like to choose a quality run group with reasonable group sizes and responsible drivers with cars that they would also like to preserve.
Stealth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:43 AM   #34
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
I’ll never race with Speed Ventures again. Made that decision several years ago, and reaffirmed it last weekend while out coaching on Saturday for a buddy in an SS1LE. INSANE car counts, and more drivers going 4-off than any organization I’ve ever ran with.

The tower cafe was literally packed to the brim during the drivers meeting, with overflow outside. Not even room to stand. I took video of it because I was in awe of the driver count. I have like 20 stories from on track insanity from Saturday lol.

I stick to Speed District for HPDE: low car count limits and better drivers in my experience. And race with GTA.
The driver count at BW last weekend was unusual in my experience, I think it was due to the weather this year in CA. Events have been rained out or running with the threat of rain (I believe they run with light rain, not sure). So people have been waiting for a weekend like this. And it was a perfect weather weekend, sunny with a cool breeze.

I'll try Speed District and agree it would be nice to put some limit on driver count, but I like the way Speed Ventures is run. Great team and Aaron B. is a great manager. They have the most 2 day weekend events in so cal and I want that to attend without vacation days, and make the most out of my 2 day Lockton insurance fee.

I always have fun at every Speed Ventures event, the driving and camaraderie seeing old acquaintances and meeting new people is memorable.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:17 PM   #35
SFV1LE

Buttonwillow video

Here's a video Jeff put together of the weekend. Best part is his fast lap which starts with him passing an IMSA Prototype at 7:10...

Old 04-05-2019, 01:05 PM   #36
MikeEM1

Drives: Tracks: 18' ZL1 1LE
Quote:

I'll choose Speed District over Speed Ventures as well. No crazy amount of drivers and 2 hour waiting periods between sessions.

I've had good and bad experiences with Speed Ventures, but always great experiences with Speed District.
SV does have an advantage of hosting so many events every single month though.
AWE Track w/PLP
APR GTC300 wing / Singular Endplates
ASC Splitter / PA tunnels
MFR Engineering Custom Diffuser
Race Louvers Fender Vents
APEX SM10 & ARC8

For sale: 2018 OEM ZL1 1LE Wing

12' Nissan GT-R SOLD
MikeEM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:12 PM   #37
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:

Saturday morning when I showed up, I was a bit shocked at how many people were there. That's the most people i've ever seen at BW haha. I think they did a good job at keeping it on schedule though. Other companies I ran with would fall behind throughout the day and it was hard to tell when your session was up.

I'm glad I wasn't in the novice class though, everyone was off the track
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:41 PM   #38
silverbullet415

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Paul right? Good meeting you to. Jeff, the coach I was with, set it at Sport 1 on Sunday and I did a 1:57 in this setting. Didn't really feel power cut but there may have been some, I'll try Sport 2 next time now that I've gained some comfort with car.

I bet your added power makes Sport 1 intervene more.
The extra power is definitely a factor. Sport 2 next time out and I’ll see what she does.

I don’t think I’ll be running with speed ventures again. To mane people and way to long between sessions with only 4
silverbullet415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:56 PM   #39
Homeless Junkie

Drives: around in circles few days a month
Quote:
Here's a video Jeff put together of the weekend. Best part is his fast lap which starts with him passing an IMSA Prototype at 7:10...

Makes me feel like I finally got he right car!
Homeless Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:25 PM   #40
SFV1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet415 View Post
The extra power is definitely a factor. Sport 2 next time out and I’ll see what she does.

I don’t think I’ll be running with speed ventures again. To mane people and way to long between sessions with only 4
I feel like 4-5 sessions is enough, and I get enough time to relax between sessions and take care of things like rotating tires, checking everything, eat, hang out with people, gas up, etc. With my old car there was a lot more to check, ZL1 is much easier and stays cool. Also, more sessions means the tires are gone fast.

Another big factor is the low number of 2-day Sat/Sun events with Speed District and HOD. I improve a lot more on a 2 day event, get more out of my Lockton insurance fee (same for 1 or 2 days), and dont have to use vacation days on Thurs or Fri. SV really works for me.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:00 PM   #41
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
I feel like 4-5 sessions is enough, and I get enough time to relax between sessions and take care of things like rotating tires, checking everything, eat, hang out with people, gas up, etc. With my old car there was a lot more to check, ZL1 is much easier and stays cool. Also, more sessions means the tires are gone fast.

Another big factor is the low number of 2-day Sat/Sun events with Speed District and HOD. I improve a lot more on a 2 day event, get more out of my Lockton insurance fee (same for 1 or 2 days), and dont have to use vacation days on Thurs or Fri. SV really works for me.

agreed i work monday to friday and i work in the car industry so if i take off the random monday or friday to race not a huuuuge deal but id rather not lol
Old 04-07-2019, 05:48 PM   #42
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:

How much is a 1-2 day track insurance? How does coverage work? And disclaimers?
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote