Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-24-2012, 01:06 AM   #71
Godsplumber

Drives: 2012 ZL1,Victory Red
Invisible, lol
Old 09-24-2012, 01:27 AM   #72
txgoose

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS
There are really only three colors...

Red
Black
White

Everything else is for those people who couldn't decide. No really, those are my favorites. Camaros being what they are deserve to be seen. I'll go with Yellow, Orange and Synergy Green. I'd like to see one in the Lotus colors, Chrome Orange and Krypton Green. On a more (much more) conservative note, Chrysler had a color awhile back... I think it was Gunmetal Blue that might prove interesting.
txgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #73
SabotAndHeat

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Synergy has grown on me. However, my SS is black....no regrets.

@ Cheetah

I run a lighter sky blue on my 2010 Camaro in GT5 / PS3. Looks pretty good.

Not sure it would go with a drop top though.
SabotAndHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #74
live2drive

Drives: 2011 Cadillac CTS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Interesting thread!

As many of you know, I've talked much about color on cars (and trucks) It's probably one of the (if not THE) most subjective issues when it comes to ordering a car (or voting for your favorite color...)

I think most of you would be blown away if you were able to see just how difficult it is to develop and select automotive paints.

>It's subjective

>Paint formulations have a wild swing in price -- some cost $75 per car - some cost nearly $1000 per car........

>Formulations need years of validation - no one wants to see the paint fade on their car or truck.....

>many colors require a 'tint-coat --

>some colors (like Torch Red on Corvette) require a special primer.

>every car gets at least three different 'colors' put on it - a prime - a base coat (which is flat - not shiny) -and a clear coat (gives you the gloss)

>we use high solids water based paints these days - long gone are the 'acrylic laquers from the 60 and 70s......way too much air polution from our old methods of painting cars and trucks...... so that also affects color 'tone' in some cases.

>Colors many times follow fashion - they come in and out of style-- and rather quickly!

Making it more difficult for Camaro:

We have one paint shop that services two assembly lines.

One line assembles Impala and Equinox

The other assembles the Camaro along with the Regal and the new Cadillac XTS.

We get three 'unique' colors to Camaro - right now that happens to be Orange/Yellow/Victory Red. (can you imagine a Regal or an XTS in those colors???) The other colors that we offer on Camaro must be shared with some or all of the others.

We also get from time to time a 'unique' paint for things like the 45th or the synergy green metallic -- but that is for a limited time unless we're willing to give up Orange or Yellow or Victory Red.

Thank you FBodfather for a concise and realistic answer as to why Camaro's colors are limited. But this brings up another thought - will production of the 6th generation continue at Oshawa or should it be moved to another plant, where it would not be so "constrained" by the paint/production, etc. of other models?

Perhaps a move to the Lansing Grand River plant where the Cadillac ATS is built? The next Camaro shares the same platform as the ATS. Or use the recently reopened Spring Hill, Tn. plant exclusively for all Camaro variants and move the Equinox production back to Oshawa?

Camaro could and should have its own dedicated facilities, much like the Corvette assembly plant in Bowling Green, Ky.
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #75
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Interesting thread!

As many of you know, I've talked much about color on cars (and trucks) It's probably one of the (if not THE) most subjective issues when it comes to ordering a car (or voting for your favorite color...)

I think most of you would be blown away if you were able to see just how difficult it is to develop and select automotive paints.

>It's subjective

>Paint formulations have a wild swing in price -- some cost $75 per car - some cost nearly $1000 per car........

>Formulations need years of validation - no one wants to see the paint fade on their car or truck.....

>every car gets at least three different 'colors' put on it - a prime - a base coat (which is flat - not shiny) -and a clear coat (gives you the gloss)

>we use high solids water based paints these days - long gone are the 'acrylic laquers from the 60 and 70s......way too much air polution from our old methods of painting cars and trucks...... so that also affects color 'tone' in some cases.

>Colors many times follow fashion - they come in and out of style-- and rather quickly!

We get three 'unique' colors to Camaro - right now that happens to be Orange/Yellow/Victory Red. (can you imagine a Regal or an XTS in those colors???) The other colors that we offer on Camaro must be shared with some or all of the others.

We also get from time to time a 'unique' paint for things like the 45th or the synergy green metallic -- but that is for a limited time unless we're willing to give up Orange or Yellow or Victory Red.

As you can see - none of you can agree on which colors are best and which are worst - and even if you did, that's a miniscule percentage to the public.

So - as I've said many times - even if we were able to offer you 50 colors - they still would not be the 'right' colors. With exception of high-line luxury cars - most manufacturers offer anywhere from 6 to 10 colors each model year.

So - 40 years from now, there will still be threads like these - and we'll still have people who aren't happy with the color palette.....that's just the nature of the business.

As for me? I'd rather drive a Camaro in an ugly color rather than a Mustang in my favorite color!!!

(OK - Mustang guys and gals - don't kill me - just trying to have some fun....)
I would gladly give up Rally Yellow or Inferno Orange for a real blue, something like on the GS racecar from SEMA. Also the fifth gen Camaro lineup started with 10 colors and we have been down to nine or less for awhile now. Somebody owes us a color. From what I've seen Rally Yellow has been towards the bottom of sales but has kept surviving. I don't hate any color offered on the Camaro, but it's time for a change. A nice metallic blue offered for late 2013 or early 2014 model year would make me extremely happy. If not I'll most likely be driving a Victory Red 1LE next year. I am grateful though that we are offered so many different ways to order a Camaro the way things are now.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #76
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY

Always had a soft spot for metallic browns and coppers. You don't see these kinds of colors offered often anymore - very 70's, but I think on a 5th gen it would look good with white stripes.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #77
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven_is_inferno_orange View Post
Absolute NO to the awful purple or the vomit inducing sky blue. Also IOM is awesome! 1969 the best color was hugger orange and the IOM 5th gen is like a beautiful modern mirror of that.

Fav colors:
IOM
ABM
SGM

Least fav:
IBM -thank god its discontinued!
SIM- boooring
CRT/RJT- just not a fan of anything close to maroon in color.

Would love to see:
Jetstream blue Metallic
Electron Blue
Hugger Orange
I respectfully disagree with that. Hugger Orange always looked orange - you don't have to wait until nighttime to find it isn't actually red. IOM is too red for me, that's why I wound up getting black with true HO accents.

Your car is gorgeous, though, so don't think I am not a fan of IOM, it's just if I wanted an orange, I'd want it to be seen as just that without a doubt.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #78
Cheetah

Drives: Camaro Rs
The camaro looks good in every color , ITS A CAMARO . but i just think it looks better in some colors than other .

btw the lakers purple will look sick too
Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #79
lgKido

Drives: 2002 Dodge Ram :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
Black isn't a colour…
Light: Black is the absence of color.

Pigment: Black is a color.
lgKido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #80
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgKido View Post
Light: Black is the absence of color.

Pigment: Black is a color.
Black isn't a colour. Black, Gray and White are all technically Shades.

In case you didn't realize this was supposed to be a joke…
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #81
Out4it
Banned

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
How about White Diamond and Sapphire blue like the XTS? I think the white diamond would be killer!

Quote:
Interesting thread!

>It's subjective

As you can see - none of you can agree on which colors are best and which are worst - and even if you did, that's a miniscule percentage to the public.

So - as I've said many times - even if we were able to offer you 50 colors - they still would not be the 'right' colors. With exception of high-line luxury cars - most manufacturers offer anywhere from 6 to 10 colors each model year.

So - 40 years from now, there will still be threads like these - and we'll still have people who aren't happy with the color palette.....that's just the nature of the business.

As for me? I'd rather drive a Camaro in an ugly color rather than a Mustang in my favorite color!!!

(OK - Mustang guys and gals - don't kill me - just trying to have some fun....)
Out4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #82
lgKido

Drives: 2002 Dodge Ram :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
In case you didn't realize this was supposed to be a joke…
Hmm, blew right over my head
lgKido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #83
cckc 2011 ss

Drives: 2011 stg 2 ss
even though mine is all black that white with silver is pretty sweet, iguess its the ying to my yang
cckc 2011 ss is offline   Reply With Quote