Quote:
Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
Did someone Call??
LMAO!!!

Love me some PinHead!
Old 01-26-2018, 11:25 PM   #17
mr965

Drives: ///M3
My first mod was camber plates as I needed to improve turn in response. -3.0 camber was my target and it is night and day difference from oem max of -2.5
mr965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:10 AM   #18
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
How do you think you want it? Serious question.

I'll save some time and give you my next reply. What does the car do that you wish it didn't? What does the car not do that you wish it did?
Beat me to it. Word for word.

Saku - you need to drive the car as close to the way you know it - especially for when your coach first gets in to observe and critique. You want her to see what you've been doing, not what you're in the process of changing to suit a car that's now behaving differently. There will be time for that later.

Keep in mind that you don't know why you've hit a 'plateau', and that's to be expected with only 20 hours seat time. You want the best possible answer, don't you?

The comments you've been getting are experience-based. And they're coming from folks that you could soon be running right next to at speeds well over 100 mph, people who just might have a vested interest in the direction this discussion takes just to get a feel for who they might find themselves next to on the track. Resistance to taking suggestion here isn't helping . . . nor will it if it carries over to how receptive you end up being to your coach's suggestions. Think about it.

Bluntly but not arrogantly intended.

Norm
Old 01-28-2018, 01:23 PM   #19
rotis

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakudog View Post
Which Spring is recommended for MY use case? I'm thinking AFE
Is there any type of real track advantage or is it purely looks? (thinking the former)
None. Those springs are for looks. The modest rate increase doesn't even compensate for the increased roll gradient that comes from the change in roll center.

I didn't see alignment specs listed, but I'd advise camber plates. More camber will save your tires.
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:40 PM   #20
Sakudog

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis View Post
None. Those springs are for looks. The modest rate increase doesn't even compensate for the increased roll gradient that comes from the change in roll center.

I didn't see alignment specs listed, but I'd advise camber plates. More camber will save your tires.
Wow a warranted response and very much appreciated! Something to look into for sure, thank you.
Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
2015 Z/28 #809
Sakudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:48 PM   #21
trackguy

Drives: .....
Quote:
Right, I am purchasing an AIM Solo from a friend who is upgrading to the latest. Agree, getting clean data is a very important element for my Coach and me to improve my skill set. I have HLT/10hz GPS unit from my S2000 but was going to just move up to AIM now that I'm a bit more serious.
Regarding data...

AIM's Roger Caddell runs a Practical Data Analysis workshop. I haven't attended, but drivers I respect have told me that it's well worth the trouble if there's an event in your area. IIRC, it's not at all expensive. Caddell has also posted a number of webinars. More here: http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/rog...ents/index.htm

I used a pro for coaching (one who was leading very late in the four-hour BMW Endurance race at Daytona this past Friday - read: the kid knows his stuff), and data was a huge help to me when we were working together. He directed me to a book that I found quite useful: http://www.cb-racing.com/book_Making...gly-Lines.html. Brown uses a MoTeC system for his examples, but the principles are universal.

I've attended Peter Krause's seminars, and he's excellent at communicating how to get the most from whatever data system you might be using. He's based out of VIR, but travels wherever he's needed. More here: http://www.peterkrause.net/Krause_%2...Resources.html

Data can really speed your progress if you know how to use it. I found that having a baseline hot-lap in hand from my coach was a terrific resource for both current and future reference, especially once the car was finally set up for my needs.

No affiliation with any of the above.

Good luck as you progress in this hobby.
trackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:02 PM   #22
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
Any updates on wheel/tire fitment?
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:39 PM   #23
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Wow a warranted response and very much appreciated! Something to look into for sure, thank you.
I have driven my car on track with lowering springs and with stock springs. The car leans less with the lowering springs but the performance difference is not huge. I have Eibach Pro springs and the mod is cheap so I went for it possibly expecting more. The car is great stock and I suggest more seat time as that will benefit most (yeah, you know this). An appropriate R comp tire will give a modest increase in grip and a racing brake pad will give a bit less fade with increased brake torque. Get the car on track and I’m going to do the same. Of course, make sure your alignment specs are within the performance range for track use.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:00 AM   #24
Sakudog

Update, I installed the Eibachs and had the car track aligned. I installed Borla catback + Borla off road to get some heat out of the platform and help the transmission cool. Which it did very well, I've never seen it go over 215 in all of my track sessions.

I've received some great coaching from Jade Buford and a few other awesome instructors on COTA and HR2. The car is for lack of a better term, perfect for me in every way, it is very balanced with the base ZL1 sways, it has great midcorner behaviours but still great turn in with the track alignment and the eLSD is amazing at helping the car rotate.

I spent any remaining MOD money on a HANS Hybrid-S and some nice SPARCO Tide gloves to go with my nice Simpson SA2010 Bandit helmet.

Recently I set a personal best of 2:27.4 on COTA, but more importantly learned a ton. The only thing this car will need now is tires, pads, rotors, fluids and me.

There is a lot of truth in this thread, but I'm not here to tell you all of you are right, your attitudes are arrogant and real off putting and this is why a lot of people never make it past their 1st or 2nd HPDEs.

Good luck, see you if you come to my hometown and visit COTA!
Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
2015 Z/28 #809
Old 04-10-2018, 09:40 AM   #25
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
There is a lot of truth in this thread, but I'm not here to tell you all of you are right, your attitudes are arrogant and real off putting and this is why a lot of people never make it past their 1st or 2nd HPDEs.
You keep mentioning this, and it's getting a bit tiresome. I think you're reading way more emotion into the words people are responding with than was ever intended when they typed them. It's a commonly encountered problem that's almost entirely because this is the internet and not face to face.

FWIW, I looked around on several other message boards and didn't find any faster laps at COTA. Not even that many under 2:30 by any amount.

Norm
Old 04-10-2018, 01:15 PM   #26
Sakudog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
You keep mentioning this, and it's getting a bit tiresome. I think you're reading way more emotion into the words people are responding with than was ever intended when they typed them. It's a commonly encountered problem that's almost entirely because this is the internet and not face to face.

FWIW, I looked around on several other message boards and didn't find any faster laps at COTA. Not even that many under 2:30 by any amount.

Norm
Norm,

Thank you for the positive words on the PR, the ZL1 A10 is the perfect car to extract minimal skill and present maximum performance, I'm glad I own it.

On the other stuff... ehh, everyone's nicer in person. I'll just say, that everything that was being said was correct, the delivery is what bothered me. In the end though, it doesn't matter because the way the car is setup now is literally as good as it gets and adjusting ANYTHING else will just open up another thing to change/adjust or fix. No need for that.
Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
2015 Z/28 #809

Last edited by Sakudog; 12-31-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:29 PM   #27
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Great lap time at COTA! I will be there on May 5-6 in my SS 1LE for NASA HPDE with garage space! Only other time I drove COTA was in a Porka GT3
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:56 PM   #28
esm

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Update, I installed the Eibachs and had the car track aligned. I installed Borla catback + Borla off road to get some heat out of the platform and help the transmission cool. Which it did very well, I've never seen it go over 215 in all of my track sessions.

I've received some great coaching from Jade Buford and a few other awesome instructors on COTA and HR2. The car is for lack of a better term, perfect for me in every way, it is very balanced with the base ZL1 sways, it has great midcorner behaviours but still great turn in with the track alignment and the eLSD is amazing at helping the car rotate.

I spent any remaining MOD money on a HANS Hybrid-S and some nice SPARCO Tide gloves to go with my nice Simpson SA2010 Bandit helmet.

Recently I set a personal best of 2:27.4 on COTA, but more importantly learned a ton. The only thing this car will need now is tires, pads, rotors, fluids and me.

Good luck, see you if you come to my hometown and visit COTA!

So how did you like the Cobalt pads? Which ones did you use? Are you swapping back to stock pads on the street? By the way, that's a very good time!