Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-12-2016, 11:11 PM   #1
neal_zack

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Clear bra

Is it worth it or not. I called a reputable shop and I can get the entire hood, fenders, and front fascia for $800.00. It has a 7 year warranty for peeling and UV fade.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:30 PM   #2
neal_zack

I guess im trying to figure out if its cheeper to have rock chips in the paint repaired instead of the clear bra. I know on my 3rd gen the front facia got rock chips like crazy.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:04 AM   #3
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Go clear bra! The warranty and material now days is very good. But as Glen outlined. The install quality is what will make or break it.

Make sure the shop you pick has been around for years and has tons of business. I like to look at products that offer a warranty from the Manufacture who made the product. So regardless of the shop, you can go to anyone who offers their product and get warranty work done. Just make sure the shop you pick is recognized by the larger company as an official dealer.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:16 AM   #4
neal_zack

Cool thanks for the advice guys.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:59 AM   #5
2016SS

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS
I had it on my Z and i won't go without it now! One problem i find when repainting is it will not hold up like factory paint it will chip even easier.

My SS is going straight from the dealership to get wrapped when it arrives you will not regret it good luck.
2016SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:01 AM   #6
neal_zack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016SS View Post
I had it on my Z and i won't go without it now! One problem i find when repainting is it will not hold up like factory paint it will chip even easier.

My SS is going straight from the dealership to get wrapped when it arrives you will not regret it good luck.
As will mine im expecting it in 2 weeks. the catch can will go on right away then out to clear bra and tint.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:04 AM   #7
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Clear bra will be one of my first "mods" for sure. I think it is worth it...but I have done the last two on my own. It is a complete pain in the @ss....and I think this car will be the worse yet b/c of the design, but I will do it.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:23 AM   #8
camaro99

Drives: Angry Dorothy II 2016 2SS
Had mine done.in 2010....but it gets scratched too...then what?
camaro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:44 AM   #9
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Look for a film mfr that has created a PATTERN for the specific car. It is not only more precise in fitment but allows the installers to do a better job. XPEL has them. Asking an installer to do a complex set of radius bends with a knife and sheets of film is asking for trouble.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:49 AM   #10
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
For you factory ordered folks, be mindful of the fact that your paint may need a little bit more time to cure before wrapping it.

My installed had me wait a few weeks when I factory ordered my '12 5.0 several years ago.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:08 PM   #11
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro99 View Post
Had mine done.in 2010....but it gets scratched too...then what?
My Xpel has a few nicks in it that otherwise would have been chips. Scratches will self heal when parked in the sun.

Once it is nick up enough that it bothers you, peel it off and reapply. Theoretically your paint could stay flawless after 100,000+ mile

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #12
neal_zack

went done to the shop today and talked to the owner and he will be the person installing my clear bra he has 20 years experience. I feel very comfortable about getting it installed now. The product is called Clear Shield Pro. He told me that he previously used XPEL and Clear Shield Pro is a better product with a better warranty. If the clear bra fades or peels up or anything happens to it for 7years it gets replaced no questions asked. Im getting the entire hood, head lights, door cups, fenders, front facia, and rocker panels. Also 10% window tint. All said and done out the door it was $980.00. couldnt be happier considering one other place I called wanted $1000.00 for just the hood so. Now I just gotta get the car here Last I checked it was in Tolido,OH.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:35 PM   #13
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by neal_zack View Post
went done to the shop today and talked to the owner and he will be the person installing my clear bra he has 20 years experience. I feel very comfortable about getting it installed now. The product is called Clear Shield Pro. He told me that he previously used XPEL and Clear Shield Pro is a better product with a better warranty. If the clear bra fades or peels up or anything happens to it for 7years it gets replaced no questions asked. Im getting the entire hood, head lights, door cups, fenders, front facia, and rocker panels. Also 10% window tint. All said and done out the door it was $980.00. couldnt be happier considering one other place I called wanted $1000.00 for just the hood so. Now I just gotta get the car here Last I checked it was in Tolido,OH.
That is an incredibly low price for what you are getting

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:39 PM   #14
neal_zack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
That is an incredibly low price for what you are getting
Yes it is.I called a half dozen places some do costom jobs and some do computer cut and this place is computer cut. But i did negotiate the window tint down $60.00 because i can get it done some place else so they price matched.