Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-31-2021, 11:42 AM   #1
ckt227

Drives: CHEVROLET CORVETTE
1LE Hood Wrap Care

I know its been covered, but I just got home from picking up my new 2SS 1LE. After getting to the dealer and seeing the detail guy using an old bucket and brush that was 20 years old, I politely asked him to stop. My question is what is everyone using to clean the wrapped hood. It was installed pretty good but has like white/gray areas that looks like dried soap on it. I showed the dealer manager before I left. He offered to clean it. I told him I would do it but if it does not come off then what. He assured me if its permanently there he would take care of it.
ckt227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:47 AM   #2
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
As Chevy recommends, soap and water, dry immediately. That's it. Multiple threads on this here, but it is that simple.
Nothing like an SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:55 AM   #3
ckt227

Drives: CHEVROLET CORVETTE
Cool and thanks. I knew about the other threads but figured this was faster.
ckt227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 12:57 PM   #4
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Yes, soap and water is fine. Be careful not to scrub too hard (not that you should scrub on paint either), but if the wrap gets marked at all..there is no fixing it. The wrap would have to be removed and new applied. Also, you cannot polish/buff wraps as you can on traditional paint, particularly with the matte finishes.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:04 PM   #5
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
I ceramic coated my bike. It has matte black paint. You could never tell it was ceramic coated, didn't change the matte paint finish one bit. Now it has a nice layer of protection over it and less worry for me.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:16 PM   #6
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
I ceramic coated my bike. It has matte black paint. You could never tell it was ceramic coated, didn't change the matte paint finish one bit. Now it has a nice layer of protection over it and less worry for me.
Yep, you can ceramic coat matte paint and wraps. You just aren't able to do many of the other things involved with paint correction. Depending on the ceramic coating that is used, a ceramic can definitely change the appearance. Some ceramics give a high gloss finish, which would obviously affect a matte paint.

Ceramics are really not much more protection than a good wax, other than a good ceramic should have a longer lifespan. Many people get confused that ceramic can/does act as a PPF, which is definitely NOT the case. A ceramic coated surface is just as susceptible to the dings, dents, scratches, chips & nicks as a surface lacking a ceramic coating.
Old 08-31-2021, 01:41 PM   #7
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
Yep, you can ceramic coat matte paint and wraps. You just aren't able to do many of the other things involved with paint correction. Depending on the ceramic coating that is used, a ceramic can definitely change the appearance. Some ceramics give a high gloss finish, which would obviously affect a matte paint.

Ceramics are really not much more protection than a good wax, other than a good ceramic should have a longer lifespan. Many people get confused that ceramic can/does act as a PPF, which is definitely NOT the case. A ceramic coated surface is just as susceptible to the dings, dents, scratches, chips & nicks as a surface lacking a ceramic coating.

Agreed 100%. The only reason I had my bike ceramic coated was because my buddy who does auto detailing and details my vehicles, had extra ceramic left from a job and did my bike for free.
Old 08-31-2021, 02:37 PM   #8
zaimer

Quote:
Agreed 100%. The only reason I had my bike ceramic coated was because my buddy who does auto detailing and details my vehicles, had extra ceramic left from a job and did my bike for free.
Very nice! It helps to have connections. I've applied ceramic (once) to my wife's car, but I haven't done anything of "mine". Actually, I think my bike would be a good thing to do it own. My car, I really don't mind doing the old fashioned wax. I enjoy spending time on the car.. a few cold drinks & good music. The garage is by far one of my favorite rooms in the house.
Old 08-31-2021, 02:41 PM   #9
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
Very nice! It helps to have connections. I've applied ceramic (once) to my wife's car, but I haven't done anything of "mine". Actually, I think my bike would be a good thing to do it own. My car, I really don't mind doing the old fashioned wax. I enjoy spending time on the car.. a few cold drinks & good music. The garage is by far one of my favorite rooms in the house.
Man... I WISH I had the patience for auto detailing. Even though my buddy does it for me, I still compensate him pretty well. I know the time he spends on it and I see the results... I just do not have the patience for stuff like that. I've tried it and I get done with one panel really well and all of a sudden I'm rushing through the rest of it like I just don't care how it turns out.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:20 PM   #10
zaimer

Quote:
Man... I WISH I had the patience for auto detailing. Even though my buddy does it for me, I still compensate him pretty well. I know the time he spends on it and I see the results... I just do not have the patience for stuff like that. I've tried it and I get done with one panel really well and all of a sudden I'm rushing through the rest of it like I just don't care how it turns out.
I'll admit that I'm not fond of the buffing/polishing of multiple large areas, at one sitting anyway. That is why the maintenance is so important LOL (i.e. minimizing the touching of the paint, washing correctly etc.). The real elbow grease parts of detailing should not have to be done on a regular basis at all.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:54 PM   #11
Ruby13

Drives: 2019 2SS/1LE Shadow Grey
Just like any other wrap use a cleaner made for matte detailing such as wizards.
Ruby13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:43 AM   #12
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
I would definitely recommend a ceramic coating. Yes it is not a shield or ppf. It will help protect against staining though which is what affects matte wraps alot.

If i had the matte hood I look into Gyeon Matte or DR. Beasley products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:56 AM   #13
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle vs Camaro View Post
I would definitely recommend a ceramic coating. Yes it is not a shield or ppf. It will help protect against staining though which is what affects matte wraps alot.

If i had the matte hood I look into Gyeon Matte or DR. Beasley products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've heard good things about the Dr. Beasley products.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:19 PM   #14
SS 2 XS

Drives: Camaro SS
I always use the Adams Waterless Wash on the wrap-its perfect for that-its more like a detailer w/a lubricant -works great on the rest of the car too -$9.95 only
SS 2 XS is offline   Reply With Quote