Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-24-2016, 12:49 AM   #1
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
ZL1 depreciation Value over time

Im am still torn between a 1LE , 2SS fully loaded, and even the ZL1, looking at the past ZL1 It has really held its own in value. What do you think the depreciation of lets say a 65K purchase price over the next 3-4 years would be for the new ZL1? would it hold at 55k in 3 years? versus a 1Le , and the 2SS. I know this is not a *reason to buy a car but it factors in when i would spend at extra 15K. Thats the one thing I like about the shelby is it really holds its value. any thoughts appreciated !
formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:43 AM   #2
amiller212

Drives: White Mazda 3
I'd throw a C7 into the mix too. I'm debating the same thing.
amiller212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:09 AM   #3
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
Need th toddler back seat !
formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:22 AM   #4
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
New cars are horrible investments. A one year old loaded ZL1 just sold at my local dealer for $42k It had 3000 miles on it and was perfect.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:23 AM   #5
HCT

Drives: Charger Hellcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by formoutofchaos View Post
What do you think the depreciation of lets say a 65K purchase price over the next 3-4 years would be for the new ZL1? would it hold at 55k in 3 years?
No. Your best guide to the value of a future used ZL1 is to look at older ZL1s today. You can get a 3 year old ZL1 right now for about $40K.

If you're that worried about depreciation, just wait and buy one used that's one or two years old.
HCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:17 AM   #6
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCT View Post
If you're that worried about depreciation, just wait and buy one used that's one or two years old.

All of these cars are a luxury item, even if they're not classified as a luxury car. We don't need the vast majority of the gizmos, gadgets, power, design, etc. We buy and get in to them for the feelings they evoke while driving them. This is not exclusive to the auto performance area either. It's all across the board, with some hobbies costing more than others.

Depreciation is something you accept because you're buying it as a toy, not an investment.

While I would never encourage someone to over extend themselves and I'm sure some fiscally conservative people will be along to hand slap me.. But, money is a medium of exchange and has 0 intrinsic value. It only means something when we use it and while some may get enjoyment from having more commas in the bank than others, that doesn't do it for me. So, spend what you can on things that make you happy and don't worry about if they lose monetary value over the years. If you're not buying/selling them quickly, it's irrelevant and your mental happiness will usually offset it anyways.

Basically, we're only granted a certain amount of years in life. Choose how you spend them and on the things that make you happy. If a high initial cost car that will lose 30% value in 2yrs is something you can stomach because of the joy it will bring you and you're not going to end up destitute from buying it, then why not?
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:33 AM   #7
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by formoutofchaos View Post
What do you think the depreciation of lets say a 65K purchase price over the next 3-4 years would be for the new ZL1? would it hold at 55k in 3 years? !

I think you're probably dreaming on that given the info posted on the previous ZL1.....

I sold a C7 for only $2K less than I paid for it after a year, but I bought before the numerous price increases and while the bloom was still on the rose. I bought it optioned right. This was an unusual situation..
Old 05-24-2016, 10:40 AM   #8
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post

All of these cars are a luxury item, even if they're not classified as a luxury car. We don't need the vast majority of the gizmos, gadgets, power, design, etc. We buy and get in to them for the feelings they evoke while driving them. This is not exclusive to the auto performance area either. It's all across the board, with some hobbies costing more than others.

Depreciation is something you accept because you're buying it as a toy, not an investment.

While I would never encourage someone to over extend themselves and I'm sure some fiscally conservative people will be along to hand slap me.. But, money is a medium of exchange and has 0 intrinsic value. It only means something when we use it and while some may get enjoyment from having more commas in the bank than others, that doesn't do it for me. So, spend what you can on things that make you happy and don't worry about if they lose monetary value over the years. If you're not buying/selling them quickly, it's irrelevant and your mental happiness will usually offset it anyways.

Basically, we're only granted a certain amount of years in life. Choose how you spend them and on the things that make you happy. If a high initial cost car that will lose 30% value in 2yrs is something you can stomach because of the joy it will bring you and you're not going to end up destitute from buying it, then why not?
I agree. I'm not gonna die saying "man I wish I had some more money in the bank right now" LOL
Old 05-24-2016, 10:45 AM   #9
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Nobody rides for free.........

Luxury items,,, yep look at a 3 year old MB SL Roadstr, they drop 20 k
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:50 AM   #10
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
Nobody rides for free.........

Luxury items,,, yep look at a 3 year old MB SL Roadstr, they drop 20 k

Agree...Depreciation on German cars will take your breath away..
Old 05-24-2016, 10:58 AM   #11
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

Drives: '84 Monte Carlo SS, '15 Optima
You must find the balance
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #12
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post

Over the years I have lost quite a few friends and family members (I'm only 39 btw). All were still in the prime of their lives and most had 0 warning. The one thing that they all had in common was that none of them were buried with their savings and the value of the assets/liabilities they owned didn't prolong their life.

Bottom line, if you can afford it, and not overextend yourself, enjoy life. Planning for a tomorrow that isn't promised and not enjoying today, doesn't make much sense. Save a little, enjoy a little.

And as far as residual value goes, any mass produced, unrestricted production vehicles value will drop faster than a cinder block to the bottom of a lake. Very few cars make any investment sense. And the one's that do, are usually old.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:24 AM   #13
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I have a 2013 triple black ZL1 M6 convertible with 28k miles in excellent condition.
Sticker price was $63k. After lusting over info on the new ZL1, I asked the dealer what I could get for my 2013 as a trade in. $36k was their answer.

I mention this just for a point of reference.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:37 AM   #14
BCombs79

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS
When I traded in my 2013 ZL1 about 3 months ago, it had 48k miles on it and was in great condition other than needing the mytouch screen replaced. They gave me 30k for it.
BCombs79 is offline   Reply With Quote