Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-21-2016, 05:18 PM   #15
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperBlue16 View Post
Not really imagination. I have had cars that tossed up junk into the front area by the tires(which did not have a lot of plastic like the camaro) and built up in cracks and crevices, that caused rust.

??...Um...From GM:

And rather than a traditional front air dam to reduce aerodynamic lift, the team developed a flush belly pan that stretches from the front grille to the center of the vehicle. Paired with small “spats” forward of the front tires, the smooth underbody helps reduce total lift by 30 percent – while also reducing aerodynamic drag.

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...ro-teaser.html
Old 04-21-2016, 05:23 PM   #16
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
??...Um...From GM:

And rather than a traditional front air dam to reduce aerodynamic lift, the team developed a flush belly pan that stretches from the front grille to the center of the vehicle. Paired with small “spats” forward of the front tires, the smooth underbody helps reduce total lift by 30 percent – while also reducing aerodynamic drag.

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...ro-teaser.html

Absolutely, i know they do something, but it more important for me to have a clean look and use my ramps than have the reduction "in lift" - and thats what makes life great, its your car, do what makes you happy!
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:03 PM   #17
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Similar to what the current ZL1 has, I'm sure that is where it came from. Aero benefit for sure to redirect air ... If you're tracking it ;o)

I have them and I use race ramps instead of the Rhino ramps...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:08 PM   #18
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Absolutely, i know they do something, but it more important for me to have a clean look and use my ramps than have the reduction "in lift" - and thats what makes life great, its your car, do what makes you happy!
Yup....I'm all about function and efficiency, but that's me.....

Besides, I have a lift so NO ramp gyrations....
Old 04-21-2016, 06:16 PM   #19
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Is there any ramps that will clear them easily? I don't any ramps yet and I'm in the market to start doing my own oil changes after my first two.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:18 PM   #20
suzook

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Probably some....about .00001 pct mpg.....
I lost about 8 mpg when I removed them. So back on they went
Old 04-21-2016, 06:23 PM   #21
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
Im wondering if the black rubber dams in front of each front wheel serve a function? I was going to remove them to get up and down Rhino ramps easier doing oil changes.

They help at highway speeds to reduce drag on the front tires as they push through the air. In addition, they work with the belly pans to assist in a small way to reduce front end lift. So yes, they are very much functional...

vital? Well...they're bound to hit things and get eaten up, which why they're made of rubber.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:17 PM   #22
gprox_69

Drives: 2LT/RS v2.0 & 2016 2SS
wondering if anybody here is willing to part ways with their rubber air deflector? looking for one... have a project in mind...
gprox_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #23
freddyD

Drives: 2020 rally green rs
They may just deflect something in the road like a tree branch or something I'm leaving mine on, you can barely see them.
freddyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:52 PM   #24
Odd Jobb

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS1
LOL!!! Thanks! didn't even know they there
Odd Jobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:43 AM   #25
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
My left one is kind of beat up from a steep driveway.. checked to see how much it cost, it was $80 :/
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:25 PM   #26
Darcane

Drives: Beater Honda Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
Is there any ramps that will clear them easily? I don't any ramps yet and I'm in the market to start doing my own oil changes after my first two.
For less than the price of new ramps... build your own.

My daily beater is lowered and can't use normal ramps. I used several 2x10s to build ramps. The bottom board is 6', the next is 4.5', the next is 3', then a 1.5' board. Add a small stop on the top and it's good to go. Add a couple strips of rubber underneath if they are used on smooth pavement to keep them from sliding.

They are heavy, but I find they work better than any other modestly priced ramp I've tried, and they are stout enough to drive full-size trucks on.

As for the original question, airflow around your tires/wheels accounts for a disproportionate amount of the overall drag of your car. Small improvements here can make noticeable changes in drag. Removing the spats will likely worsen fuel economy, but unless you pay very close attention to it, you probably won't notice (probably ~0.5mpg).
Attached Images

Darcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #27
Marine Corps

Drives: 2016 2SS Garnet Red Camaro
They're functional and mine are staying where they are unless they're torn off. Chevrolet has used them on Corvettes for several years. Do you really think Chevrolet just added them for "grins"? Why doesn't anyone asks an expert at GM or Chevrolet for the reasoning behind them.

Or perhaps you can trust this statement, "They're made for speeds exceeding 125 mph". Or some such off the wall comment made by a forum member on this thread.
Added Procharger supercharger.
Marine Corps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:34 PM   #28
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine Corps View Post
They're functional and mine are staying where they are unless they're torn off. Chevrolet has used them on Corvettes for several years. Do you really think Chevrolet just added them for "grins"? Why doesn't anyone asks an expert at GM or Chevrolet for the reasoning behind them.

Or perhaps you can trust this statement, "They're made for speeds exceeding 125 mph". Or some such off the wall comment made by a forum member on this thread.
That statement was made by a c7 engineer. I don't post crap:

John Bednarchik, Corvette Lead Aerodynamics Engineer, as saying the Z51 center section of the front lip was removed for better stability at high speeds. He also. latter in the article, suggests that high speeds are those above 150 mph. Comments is also made about them trying "100" different outside mirror shapes.

Further, at the NCM 2015 fest, he was asked if taking them off would hurt. His direct answer was" only at speeds over 150 mph."
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote