Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-23-2022, 09:01 AM   #1
Loaorndnam

Drives: Camaro 2SS 2017
Vibration 2017 Camaro SS disappears after longer drives

Hi,
I have a Camaro 2017 SS. Recently it has started to have some sort of vibration when I am driving at moderately high speeds (45mph+). The vibration seems to disappear if I release the gas or increase it. The problem also only occurs when the car needs to produce a moderate power output, such as driving up a hill or accelerating. The other weird thing is that if I take the car for a longer drive, the problem will disappear after approximately 45 minutes, but reappears after a week of only shorter drives.

I would greatly appreciate peoples thoughts on what they think might be wrong.
Loaorndnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:31 AM   #2
CanadianVetZL1

Drives: 2021 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Do you have the A8? If so it is a known issue and you should get it to a dealer pretty quick to treat the A8 shudder.
Eibach Pro Lowering Kit
Oracle Side markers (Paint matched)
Rear window "wind screen"
Xpel Paint Protection
Ceramic Pro Coating
CanadianVetZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:58 AM   #3
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
This does sound like the torque converter problem.
What is the length of warranty coverage for this powertrain part? Is this covered under the 5 yr/60000 mi warranty?
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:29 AM   #4
Loaorndnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianVetZL1 View Post
Do you have the A8? If so it is a known issue and you should get it to a dealer pretty quick to treat the A8 shudder.
Yeah, this is the A8. I've been trying to read up on it, and looks like I am going to need a flush of the transmission fluid. And if that does not work to change the torque converter. Do you agree?
Old 06-23-2022, 10:30 AM   #5
Loaorndnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
This does sound like the torque converter problem.
What is the length of warranty coverage for this powertrain part? Is this covered under the 5 yr/60000 mi warranty?
I don't know, unfortunately I am outside of the 5 yr/60000 mi warranty anyways.
Old 06-23-2022, 11:55 AM   #6
ctrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loaorndnam View Post
I don't know, unfortunately I am outside of the 5 yr/60000 mi warranty anyways.
I was hoping someone might chime in and say GM extended the warranty period for this known problem. Wishful thinking.
Old 06-23-2022, 12:05 PM   #7
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loaorndnam View Post
Yeah, this is the A8. I've been trying to read up on it, and looks like I am going to need a flush of the transmission fluid. And if that does not work to change the torque converter. Do you agree?
This would be the treatment for it yes.

Its a common issue with A8's.

Torque converter only needs to be replaced if you drive on the shudder to long it damages the torque converter, but if you catch it in time all you need is the trans flush/replacement.

The issue is GM used the wrong viscosity trans fluid.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 12:30 PM   #8
Strange Flavor

Drives: 17 Fifty SS, 11 2SS, 91 LSX C1500
Sometimes it doesn't take much driving. It showed up on mine, also a '17, at 400 miles and didn't dissipate after the flush. New converter at 1500 miles. Feels like your driving over rumble strips under light acceleration. Particularly between 40 and 60 mph on mine.

Sometimes this gets confused with the cylinder deactivation, but the converter thing is more aggressive. Although anytime the car goes into 4cyl mode it scares me at first because I think the shudder is back. The shudder is aggressive enough for passengers to notice, I don't think the the slight shake from 4cyl is enough to register with the passenger.

I had a tech ride with me with a scanner plugged in. He said he could 100% see it slipping (maybe not the right term) and knew the problem. Maybe they could at least do that for you at the dealership.

I believe the main issue was whatever fluid they used eventually held water and it messes with the clutches/plates or whatever in the converter. My car sat for a while (in Florida humidity) before I bought it. Perhaps if you are in a less humid area it takes longer to show up.

Last edited by Strange Flavor; 06-23-2022 at 12:41 PM.
Strange Flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 01:47 PM   #9
Loaorndnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Flavor View Post

I believe the main issue was whatever fluid they used eventually held water and it messes with the clutches/plates or whatever in the converter. My car sat for a while (in Florida humidity) before I bought it. Perhaps if you are in a less humid area it takes longer to show up.
That makes a lot of sense. Much of the mileage on the car was from it being driven in Florida.
Old 06-23-2022, 02:02 PM   #10
ctrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Flavor View Post
This is correct. The original fluid was hygroscopic, meaning it absorbed water. The mixture of oil and water eventually interferes with the clutch plates, which require a uniform layer of oil between them to engage smoothly. They basically slip until the contact pressure locks them together. Add too much water and they will grab hard in some areas while other parts of the surface want to slip. This irregular mating wears things out fast and the clutch plate surfaces will never be smooth again. You can't save them with new fluid.

Moisture gets into this fluid through vents in the system. So high humidity may speed the process.