Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 04-16-2022, 07:30 PM   #29
hayt51

Drives: 10'ss/rs
Thanks ,That part helped me the most .I finally finished and it sounds a lot better. Like you said it sounded good before the amp. I might need more fine tuning on the dash speakers they did not like much gain at all. But I will play with it some more. Been a long day ,Lol. Thanks for all the help once again.
hayt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 04:22 PM   #30
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayt51 View Post
Thanks ,That part helped me the most .I finally finished and it sounds a lot better. Like you said it sounded good before the amp. I might need more fine tuning on the dash speakers they did not like much gain at all. But I will play with it some more. Been a long day ,Lol. Thanks for all the help once again.
Glad to help with the little bit of knowledge I have. I'm no expert and had to sort through the same kinds of questions you were asking!
Old 06-21-2022, 05:27 PM   #31
Ies33

Drives: 2022 ss1 1le
Quote:
Following up on your experiences, I also replaced my tweeters and door speakers. I used Focal TWU 1.5 and Focal RCX-690. I experimented with the crossover included in the tweeters, it was louder but also shrill without them so I ended up including the them after several side by sides. Overall the sound quality is much clearer and I'm able to notice much more of the music than with the stock speakers. On the down side, I understand what others have mentioned with the need for an amp. At around 75% volume there is alot of gain.

I'm very happy with the upgrade for the ~$270 I put into it. I'm curious about an amp but I get that its alot more work to splice into the harness, run wiring and fab some brackets so I plan to leave things as they are for now.
Ies33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:24 PM   #32
hayt51

Drives: 10'ss/rs
Running wire to the front from amp wasn't to hard. I just had to do it twice because i had no clue how to hookup a amp . Once i understood how to wire amp it was not bad . Bracket was simple piece of abs plastic and some screws ,put on top of mag ride computer . Wish I would have went with the kicker amp . I used Alpine kta 450 , its ok i guess but I cannot turn up front gain hardly at all and rear gain not at all without bad distortion. Amp definitely worth doing however. Upgrading the speakers and everything made a great car even better .
hayt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:42 PM   #33
Ies33

Drives: 2022 ss1 1le
Quote:
Running wire to the front from amp wasn't to hard. I just had to do it twice because i had no clue how to hookup a amp . Once i understood how to wire amp it was not bad . Bracket was simple piece of abs plastic and some screws ,put on top of mag ride computer . Wish I would have went with the kicker amp . I used Alpine kta 450 , its ok i guess but I cannot turn up front gain hardly at all and rear gain not at all without bad distortion. Amp definitely worth doing however. Upgrading the speakers and everything made a great car even better .
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Maybe I'll give it a try in the near future.
Ies33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 12:10 PM   #34
burnt-out

Drives: you nuts
Door Chimes and Active Noise Canceling (1SS)

I've read in other threads when changing speakers and adding amps to 6th Gen:
  1. Door chimes very loud - does that apply to 1SS?
  2. The need to defeat noise canceling because it causes hum. Is this not applicable to 1SS because it does not have Bose/ANC?

Last edited by burnt-out; 03-30-2023 at 12:11 PM. Reason: typo
burnt-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 08:10 PM   #35
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt-out View Post
Door chimes very loud - does that apply to 1SS?
It doesn't seem to apply to mine, but remember it has no external amp at all whereas a non-1LE SS has an amp in the trunk. I don't know how that affects things. Also, I have the gain on my little Kicker amp nearly at the lowest setting. That obviously makes a difference.
Quote:
The need to defeat noise canceling because it causes hum. Is this not applicable to 1SS because it does not have Bose/ANC?
There is no noise canceling in the SS 1LE. I'm not 100% sure about a non-1LE SS, but I'm thinking it also doesn't have ANC unless it has Bose.
Old 04-03-2023, 11:19 AM   #36
burnt-out

Drives: you nuts
@Msquared I should have mentioned both my questions apply to 1SS 1LE. Your answers are clear. Thanks!
burnt-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 08:38 PM   #37
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
A couple things to add to this thread. Firstly big thanks to Msquared, there’s no way I would have figured out how to remove those pillar bungees without his posting pics and describing what needed to be done to release the tab.

I increased the volume and clarity of my front speakers without the need of an amp. JBL’s are very efficient and relatively inexpensive. So, I sent the Amp back to Amazon. With that said, I have a new under dash break out harness (will no longer be using it) So, hit me up if you’re interested in buying at a discount.

One of the areas I’m disappointed in is how the door panel basically blocks 60% of the open area for bass to pass through. There’s a noticeable difference in sound quality with the panel on verse off. The next thing I noticed is the door panel decorative boomerang now vibrates a bit with certain frequencies and volume levels. I’d definitely recommend adding flocking tape under the boomerang near the speaker, while you already have the door panel off.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 11:12 AM   #38
Roksn1FR
Roksn1fR

Drives: 2023 1SS 1LE ShadowGrey
Hi everyone, perhaps someone can provide guidance. I just got my new 2023 SS 1LE a few days ago and i just love it ! However I admit I am kind of disappointed with the sound system (I previously had a 2013 SS w Boston acoustics which was great for me). Therefore I'd like to upgrade to something better but not too extravagant. This current post and others (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611186, https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=586969&page=2) contain amazing tips and walkthroughs but I am kind of a noob wrt car audio connections. I was wondering if anyone would recommend a specific car audio shop that is used to deal with Camaros SS 1LEs so i can get the sound pumped up a bit with a reliable install ? Any suggestions ? (anything in west Houston, TX is even better ). Thanks a lot !
#2023 1SS 1LE ShadowGrey - M6 - Stock - Diode Dynamics Smoked Sidemarkers / Zl1 Addons Deluxe Rockguards & LiftPads / EOS Carbon fiber center console gearshift cover / Elite SS License Plate Frame / 1st stage Paint Correction after factory delivery / Paint Protection Film (front bumpers and fenders) / Ceramic coating
#2013 1SS RS Victory Red / Hockey+COPO Stripes - M6 - Stock - SOLD
#2012 2LT RS Blue / Racing Stripes - M6 - Stock - SOLD
Roksn1FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 05:37 AM   #39
drewleague

Drives: Subaru WRX
Just wanted to say thanks for this write up. I just got a 23 1ss 1LE and this has helped to explain all the questions I had about the gen5diy harness and getting to everything.

I already have the helix m6 dsp amp for highs and helix m one for bass do I will be sticking with a two amp setup and 2 12s but this really clarified everything so well for me. Thanks again!
drewleague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 04:35 PM   #40
BatMobileLT1

Drives: 2023 Camaro LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ies33 View Post
Following up on your experiences, I also replaced my tweeters and door speakers. I used Focal TWU 1.5 and Focal RCX-690. I experimented with the crossover included in the tweeters, it was louder but also shrill without them so I ended up including the them after several side by sides. Overall the sound quality is much clearer and I'm able to notice much more of the music than with the stock speakers. On the down side, I understand what others have mentioned with the need for an amp. At around 75% volume there is alot of gain.

I'm very happy with the upgrade for the ~$270 I put into it. I'm curious about an amp but I get that its alot more work to splice into the harness, run wiring and fab some brackets so I plan to leave things as they are for now.
Did replacing the rear door speakers help with getting more volume from rear speakers?
This is the main issue I'd like to get fixed on my LT1 w/Bose and would try a speaker upgrade if that can help this without going into the full new amps swapout (and big $$) approach.
Old 07-09-2023, 04:46 PM   #41
eaglesfan2006

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE Riverside Blue
Curious how you made the stand for the amp, looking to add just a subwoofer to the stock system for the time being. Not sure where else to hit the amp. Thanks!

Edit: I wonder if I could make this work. GM GENUINE PARTS RADIO SPEAKER AMPLIFIER BRACKET
GM Part # 23401119
ACDelco Part # 23401119

https://parts.gmparts.com/product/gm...=432&year=2019
eaglesfan2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 08:08 PM   #42
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfan2006 View Post
Curious how you made the stand for the amp, looking to add just a subwoofer to the stock system for the time being. Not sure where else to hit the amp. Thanks!
If you're asking me, I just used a flat piece of ABS plastic and drilled three holes to match the holes in the MRC module bracket that are already threaded for the stock 2SS or Bose amp. For small and light amp like the Kicker KEY, that's plenty. If you want to use a bigger, heavier amp, then it may make more sense to remove the styrofoam tool kit and inflator holder and mount the amp in that part of the trunk floor.