Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 04-13-2022, 06:52 AM   #1
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
F1 SC3 tire and track day at freezing temp

I have a track day this Saturday at Grattan Raceway in MI. It’s been warm all week, but Saturday it will be cold. Driving to the track and first few hours there the temps are projected to be at 30-32F.

Anyone have experience with SC3s at these temps on track? I know I will need a good few laps to get them warmed up, but I’m more worried about compound cracking while driving to the place, or on the out lap. Any advice? They are quite worn down at this point, basically on the wear bars.

I’ve done a few cold track days on MPSS tires, and as long as they warmed up they were nice and grippy. No issues driving to the track on them either in freezing cold. Hoping for similar performance from SC3s.

Thanks.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:22 AM   #2
5.M0NSTER

Oh, and follow up question. I typically use Hawk DTC-60 pads for track days. Considering keeping the OE pad for this weekend, given that high temp for that day is 36F.

I realize I won't be breaking any PBs with factory pads, hoping they survive the abuse due to faster cooling and overall cold ambient temp.

Thoughts?
Old 04-13-2022, 11:54 AM   #3
VaporPressure

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE
This past weekend I was in Indiana, with the day's starting temps in the 40s. Both previous nights' temps got down to freezing with my car out in the cold. I was on SC3Rs and did not seem to have any issues but had to be really really careful on outlaps, taking a few extra laps (like 3-4 total) before doing anything fast. They eventually warmed up and worked really well. But I almost went off during the outlap, and another ZL1 did actually go off on the 2nd lap.
By the end of the weekend, my stock pads were smearing the rotors (but ambient temps got up to 55-60). I guess I must be pretty heavy on the brakes. But it would seem to me that your temps and on SC3s you'd probably be ok, just with some caution. For reference, I am new to this car/tires (<1yr) so feel free to disregard my opinion
VaporPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 12:26 PM   #4
5.M0NSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPressure View Post
This past weekend I was in Indiana, with the day's starting temps in the 40s. Both previous nights' temps got down to freezing with my car out in the cold. I was on SC3Rs and did not seem to have any issues but had to be really really careful on outlaps, taking a few extra laps (like 3-4 total) before doing anything fast. They eventually warmed up and worked really well. But I almost went off during the outlap, and another ZL1 did actually go off on the 2nd lap.
By the end of the weekend, my stock pads were smearing the rotors (but ambient temps got up to 55-60). I guess I must be pretty heavy on the brakes. But it would seem to me that your temps and on SC3s you'd probably be ok, just with some caution. For reference, I am new to this car/tires (<1yr) so feel free to disregard my opinion
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Glad you were able to stay on track.

I will have slightly colder temps, but I'm also on the non-R version of SC3s. I will keep an eye on the temps and pressures, but at this point it gives me a bit more confidence.

I'll bring the DTC60s with me just in case, but for now I plan to stat on OE pads.

I'll check in afterwards to give an update.
Old 04-13-2022, 12:32 PM   #5
DaveC113

SC3 are worse vs MPSS at cold temps, aren't supposed to be used under 40F and they can be damaged under freezing temps. IME you'll get both the tendency to understeer and snap oversteer depending. Be really careful until they get warm, the car not just has less grip, handling is much different than normal and much more dangerous!
Old 04-13-2022, 12:48 PM   #6
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Those are def not temps for near R-compound tires. Doubt you'll lap enough to heat them up if air is that cold.

May be safer to save track day for warmer weather.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 02:51 PM   #7
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
The temp ratings on the tires are more along the lines of use caution below 40°F and don't drive below 20°F for risk of cracking the compound, so you should be fine from a tire damage aspect. They'll still be usable after warming up for a few laps but won't be running your best pace. I experienced more understeer in nearly identical conditions so had to give up some corner entry speed, but nothing snappy or unexpected if you work up to it like you're driving a new car.

Brakes should also be a non-issue. They should get warm pretty fast no matter which pads you pick to run, just brake early until you feel them come up to temp.

If your tires were newer you'd likely be setting some PBs out there once tires/brakes warmed up! Grip isn't typically hurt by surface temps in that range if you can get tires warmed up and you get more power compared to the warmer days.

Last edited by Alpha1BC; 04-13-2022 at 03:02 PM.
Alpha1BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 05:33 PM   #8
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
I've done a track day in 40's temps and they were fine.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 05:23 AM   #9
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
You'll be fine, just take care on the out laps and make sure you get some temp in them. My PB at Summit Point Main was first session on day two of a November event with 28 degrees ambient temp.
Old 04-14-2022, 07:09 AM   #10
5.M0NSTER

Thanks all for the input guys, much appreciated. I will take it easy for the first few laps until I feel grip come in. Will report back on how it went. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2022, 10:15 PM   #11
5.M0NSTER

Back from a really cold track day. First session was at 28F, and it only got up to 38F through the day. It snowed a little in the afternoon, and the wind picked up.

So the Goodyear F1 SC did not fully warm up at all today. Grip was not quite there. Started off about 4s off my normal pace, and ended about 2s off my pace. I was super consistent in my lap times, but slower. Also a whole lot of sliding around when trying to push it. Lots of fun and biiig slides. But too cold for PB attempts. So those of you who said so called it.

Ran into 2 interesting cars. A GT350R with Hoosier slicks (which the temp hurt more than me today), and a M5CS on Pilot Sport S.

I was surprised how well the Camaro kept up with the GT350R on a straight. With 60-70 extra HP and lighter wheels, I was expecting him to pull away more. Glad to see our cars can keep up with an R!

Also the M5CS made me feel like I'm driving a Miata on the straights. I passed him (instructor driving a student's car) and he was on me like glue. Crazy capable big car.