Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 02-12-2022, 08:05 PM   #1
Xyebo

Drives: '23 1SS 1LE | '18 1LS V6 [sold]
Yokohama ADVAN Apex V601 tires

Fellow Camarois,

Have any of you tried Yokohama ADVAN Apex V601 tires?
Just wanted to hear your opinions and feedback on running them.

I have been running them on my 1LS V6 since August, and they're an excellent all-around summer tire. 3 track days (2x Big Willow, 1x Auto Club Speedway), 3 autocrosses, 20+ canyon runs, and the daily-driven duty has wore down the tires to 2/32", and I am likely to replace them with the same tire (245/40R20 and 275/35R20).

During the normal driving, the road noise could've been quieter, but the rubber is well-mannered on Los Angeles streets. Bonus points for holding their ground well in the rain.

In canyons, they communicate when they are at their limit very well and keep up well with the V6 chassis. They may feel a bit understeery when driven for a long time in super hot weather, however.
On track, they obviously are no match for 200TW or R-compound rubber, but with me saving up $$$, they seem to be the best track-ready choice since there are no 200TW tires for non-1LE SS-sized wheels. They last well enough for the first 3--4 laps on Buttonwillow and Auto Club Speedway--enough to attempt a new PB time--but after that they get a tad greasy and understeery when driven in hot weather. I had to rotate them side to side to even out the shoulder wear.
Xyebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 12:21 AM   #2
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Thanks for you experience with them. I was considering them when I got the new wheels, but got the ps4s instead.

They do have the honorable mention of being some decent cheap max performance summers from a reputable manufacturer though.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 08:40 AM   #3
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
There is some discussion of it in a recent thread. TL;DR is that it's probably good quality but slower than the best street tires in the dry and it's far worse in the wet. The best two street tires are the Continental ExtremeContact Sport and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Of the two, the Conti is cheaper.