Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-09-2019, 04:50 PM   #1
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Service Stabilitrack then no start

So the "Service Stabilitrack" warning lights and chimes started coming on randomly while driving every day for a week or so. Warnings went away when shut off. Then the warnings went away for a week or so. Yesterday the brake warning and stabillitrack warnings came back and the speedo and tach would go to zero for a few seconds while driving and then come back to life again. Thinking the battery was 4 years old so I planned on changing it out soon but this morning, no start at all. Not even trying to crank. lights, radio, locks etc are fine but the starter is not working at all. New battery was no help.

ANY IDEAS????

2010 SS owned since new, E-Force, Tune. 80K
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:36 PM   #2
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Check your grounds?
Old 01-10-2019, 08:10 AM   #3
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

I checked the notorious trunk ground and it looks great. UPDATE: the new battery charge condition was suspect so I hooked up my jumper cables to my truck and the car actually started. SCT code reader showed 4 codes but when I cleared them, they did not come back. Drove around for about a half hour and the new battery started the car without a jump. Started up this AM and the Service Stabilitrack warning came up for just a second then went out. Looks like it is good now. My take on it was the old battery was marginal and failing so the battery replacement was the solution, as I suspected. We will update again if this situation comes back. Hope this helps.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:01 PM   #4
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

UPDATE: Warning chimes and flashing lights are all back today. The speedo/tach/and DIC are all dropping to zero and coming back to life randomly. Chimes are going off so often I just have to crank up the radio.

going to revisit the ground in the trunk tomorrow. Any ideas?
Old 01-10-2019, 08:18 PM   #5
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Check both the battery and alt. Could be new battery has bad cell and can't hold a charge or the Alt is bad (consider it's a 2010) and isn't charging the battery
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:43 PM   #6
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Check both the battery and alt. Could be new battery has bad cell and can't hold a charge or the Alt is bad (consider it's a 2010) and isn't charging the battery
Battery that was in there when this happened was a 4 year old NAPA and they gave me 50% warranty credit towards a brand new one. That one is in there now and seems to be functioning fine. Have not load tested it yet but do not suspect it at this time. Problems went away for a day and then came back the last 2 days. Alternator is original but not sure how to check it other than to note it still charges. The engine runs fine but the cruise control will not stay engaged, the gauges go from working, to zero and then back on again.

Load test is in order. Will try that and report back if it fails.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:13 PM   #7
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingr69 View Post
Battery that was in there when this happened was a 4 year old NAPA and they gave me 50% warranty credit towards a brand new one. That one is in there now and seems to be functioning fine. Have not load tested it yet but do not suspect it at this time. Problems went away for a day and then came back the last 2 days. Alternator is original but not sure how to check it other than to note it still charges. The engine runs fine but the cruise control will not stay engaged, the gauges go from working, to zero and then back on again.

Load test is in order. Will try that and report back if it fails.
See this on how to test Alt. Very simple all you'll need is a cheap MultiMeter, a $6 one from Harbor Freight is just fine.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/ho...car-alternator
Old 01-26-2019, 10:42 AM   #8
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

UPDATE: Battery load test passed fine.

Waved the "white flag" and took it to the dealer fearing the worst....Dropped it off with all the dash warning lights going on and the chimes chiming away.....After a week and a half in the shop they say "we cant duplicate the problem"....Car starts up and runs perfect.....They did not charge me anything.

Strange, but happy place for now.

If I do not post back, the issue is gone. Thanks for riding along with me.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:15 PM   #9
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

FINAL Update. The car started doing it again but this time we were able to duplicate it. The ABS control module was diagnosed causing interference on the communication network (BUS) and none of the control modules were able to communicate. Replaced that module and now we are good. Not sure if this helps anyone but it worked for me.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:52 PM   #10
camguynj

Glad to hear and good to know. Thanks for the followup post.

ps- almost sounds like a description of a space station problem