Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-09-2017, 03:15 AM   #1
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
SS 1LE vs M2 & M3/M4 ZCP

Went to M trackday at COTA. Nice event. Drove the M2 on an autoX course and the M3/M4 on track. All DCT unfortunately. My observations

M2 w/ M performance parts:
  • Interior is not as much better than the 1LE as I thought. Carpeting, headliner, lower dash plastics are all comparable. The buttons were actually rather stiff and cheap-feeling. Crappy door close due to no sound deadening. Nice steering wheel with suede inserts. Only major edges it has are iDrive and the soft-touch dash.
  • Steering could be a bit quicker but not bad. Bet a ZCP comes around next year to fix this.
  • Not too much turbo lag but there is definitely a midrange kick. It's not as extreme as the M3.
  • I *think* it had M performance exhaust. Sounded good though not as good as the LT1.
  • Definitely more body roll and lower grip levels than 1LE.
  • Brake feel was better.
  • Small size and good visibility make it an ideal autocross choice.
  • Very neutral and confidence-inspiring car. Overall I would not regret buying one.

M3 ZCP w/ M performance parts:
  • This had every option there was. Basically the M2 dash with leather wrapped everywhere and cool-looking but less comfortable seats. Same great-feeling steering wheel with suede inserts again. A definite win for the interior and I would not complain if the Camaro offered a leather dashboard.
  • Exhaust noise = extremely loud and not in a good way. I think some of it was coming through the speakers. Gave me a bad headache even with a helmet on.
  • They did a good job with lightweight materials and the front end is lighter than 1LE, but they wasted the advantage by giving it rather vague steering.
  • Power delivery was not linear so doesn't have the "just right" feeling pulling out of corners you get from an N/A engine on track. There's a reason why BMW M stayed N/A for so long.
  • Never got a comfortable seating position. Felt like I was sitting too high.
  • EXCELLENT brakes. They were really taking a beating and didn't fade at all. I wouldn't pay $8k for them but you're buying one used it may be an option to look for.
  • Suspension seemed stiffer and more planted than M2 but because of the engine and steering it was overall less fun.

M4 ZCP:
  • Obviously very similar to the M3, however I wanted to note that the driving position was much, much better. The seat bolstering felt tighter as well. That alone made me prefer it to M3.

At the end of the day I was yearning to get back in the 1LE, which I did not see coming. It's a tremendous value and I have to wonder how thin the profit margin on this car is. But even casting price aside, I preferred it to the others and that's what really impressed me.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:42 AM   #2
Camaro Maybe

Drives: BMW 7 Series, Camaro Maybe
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
Went to M trackday at COTA. Nice event. Drove the M2 on an autoX course and the M3/M4 on track. All DCT unfortunately. My observations

M2 w/ M performance parts:
  • Interior is not as much better than the 1LE as I thought. Carpeting, headliner, lower dash plastics are all comparable. The buttons were actually rather stiff and cheap-feeling. Crappy door close due to no sound deadening. Nice steering wheel with suede inserts. Only major edges it has are iDrive and the soft-touch dash.
  • Steering could be a bit quicker but not bad. Bet a ZCP comes around next year to fix this.
  • Not too much turbo lag but there is definitely a midrange kick. It's not as extreme as the M3.
  • I *think* it had M performance exhaust. Sounded good though not as good as the LT1.
  • Definitely more body roll and lower grip levels than 1LE.
  • Brake feel was better.
  • Small size and good visibility make it an ideal autocross choice.
  • Very neutral and confidence-inspiring car. Overall I would not regret buying one.
M3 ZCP w/ M performance parts:
  • This had every option there was. Basically the M2 dash with leather wrapped everywhere and cool-looking but less comfortable seats. Same great-feeling steering wheel with suede inserts again. A definite win for the interior and I would not complain if the Camaro offered a leather dashboard.
  • Exhaust noise = extremely loud and not in a good way. I think some of it was coming through the speakers. Gave me a bad headache even with a helmet on.
  • They did a good job with lightweight materials and the front end is lighter than 1LE, but they wasted the advantage by giving it rather vague steering.
  • Power delivery was not linear so doesn't have the "just right" feeling pulling out of corners you get from an N/A engine on track. There's a reason why BMW M stayed N/A for so long.
  • Never got a comfortable seating position. Felt like I was sitting too high.
  • EXCELLENT brakes. They were really taking a beating and didn't fade at all. I wouldn't pay $8k for them but you're buying one used it may be an option to look for.
  • Suspension seemed stiffer and more planted than M2 but because of the engine and steering it was overall less fun.
M4 ZCP:
  • Obviously very similar to the M3, however I wanted to note that the driving position was much, much better. The seat bolstering felt tighter as well. That alone made me prefer it to M3.

At the end of the day I was yearning to get back in the 1LE, which I did not see coming. It's a tremendous value and I have to wonder how thin the profit margin on this car is. But even casting price aside, I preferred it to the others and that's what really impressed me.
Good review. I ordered an M2 which will arrive in January. However, after driving the Camaro SS, I decided I preferred that. However, wife fell in love with the M2 and is begging me to keep the M2 order and she hated the Camaro....what to do, keep the wife or car?

I also have to wonder about the profit margin on the 1LE, that is a freaking bargain!
Camaro Maybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:58 PM   #3
WhyUMad1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Maybe View Post
Good review. I ordered an M2 which will arrive in January. However, after driving the Camaro SS, I decided I preferred that. However, wife fell in love with the M2 and is begging me to keep the M2 order and she hated the Camaro....what to do, keep the wife or car?

I also have to wonder about the profit margin on the 1LE, that is a freaking bargain!
Haha! Such is the married life. Was there any reason she preferred the M2 aside from being a BMW? I know the Camaro can get claustrophobic on the passenger side unless you raise the seat to the max height. Then it's not bad.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:42 PM   #4
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:

Before I bought my 2SS, I looked at the M2, C7 Z51 and the 2SS. My wife said if I bought the Z51, she would never ride in it because it felt claustrophobic. She wanted the M2 (image). I went 2SS because it was better and less expensive than the M2. Wife loves it.

I really liked the M2 and would still consider one. My lasting negative memory of the M2 was that with the seat adjusted all the way back and reclined (I'm 6'-4"), my head was nearly in line with the b-pillar.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:26 PM   #5
Camaro Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
Haha! Such is the married life. Was there any reason she preferred the M2 aside from being a BMW? I know the Camaro can get claustrophobic on the passenger side unless you raise the seat to the max height. Then it's not bad.
One specific thing was the arm rest on the console, she said no place for her to rest her arm in the Camaro and she did have a nice place to rest her elbow in the M2. She also mentioned that she hated that beautiful sounding performance exhaust in the Camaro....she worries that we'll get in fights because I'll drive too fast (I would also in the M2 so that's not real). Lastly she mentioned the M2 Beemer snob appeal....she loves that, for me, not so much.

I think I need to force her to drive the SS so she could see why it's so freaking fun.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:33 PM   #6
Camaro Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Before I bought my 2SS, I looked at the M2, C7 Z51 and the 2SS. My wife said if I bought the Z51, she would never ride in it because it felt claustrophobic. She wanted the M2 (image). I went 2SS because it was better and less expensive than the M2. Wife loves it.

I really liked the M2 and would still consider one. My lasting negative memory of the M2 was that with the seat adjusted all the way back and reclined (I'm 6'-4"), my head was nearly in line with the b-pillar.
I'm 6'6" so getting in and out and riding comfortable are factors in my decision...at 6'4" how much, if any, is that affecting your enjoyment of the Camaro?

I think my wife would like the Camaro or at least hate it less than she's thinking but she got that M2 in her head and doesn't want to let go of it....she also likes the idea that it might hold its value due to limited supply.

I really like the M2 but the Camaro just blew me away for less....the M2 is just less fun and less exciting though still very very good.

I love the Kalahari leather and would be my choice but I also want the 1LE....decisions decisions
Old 08-09-2017, 07:30 PM   #7
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
I'm 6'6" so getting in and out and riding comfortable are factors in my decision...at 6'4" how much, if any, is that affecting your enjoyment of the Camaro?

I think my wife would like the Camaro or at least hate it less than she's thinking but she got that M2 in her head and doesn't want to let go of it....she also likes the idea that it might hold its value due to limited supply.

I really like the M2 but the Camaro just blew me away for less....the M2 is just less fun and less exciting though still very very good.

I love the Kalahari leather and would be my choice but I also want the 1LE....decisions decisions
I'm 225 lbs with 36" waist and 34" inseam. No problem getting in and out and I have more rear adjustment than I can use and my knee is at least 6" from the dash. Head room isn't a problem (even with a helmet) but I do like a reclined position. If you like to sit with the back vertical.

Your comment (above) about the arm rest was another area that the Camaro was better...at least for the driver. The door arm rest on the M2 ended ahead of my elbow so I was a little annoyed. The Camaro arm rest and console are in the perfect position and height.

I fell in love with the Kalahari went I saw it with nightfall grey at the reveal. Mine is a daily driver so the 2SS with mag ride makes for a comfy GT. Add black suede knee pad with 2SS trim and the look is classy. I tried Recaros once in CTS-V and didn't like how tight it was in my lats.

I still really like the M2 but the 2SS was way more for the money. If your a track rat, the 1LE would be even better
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 08-09-2017 at 07:40 PM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:18 PM   #8
miketan

Drives: 2018 HBM SS 1LE
Quote:
One specific thing was the arm rest on the console, she said no place for her to rest her arm in the Camaro and she did have a nice place to rest her elbow in the M2. She also mentioned that she hated that beautiful sounding performance exhaust in the Camaro....she worries that we'll get in fights because I'll drive too fast (I would also in the M2 so that's not real). Lastly she mentioned the M2 Beemer snob appeal....she loves that, for me, not so much.

I think I need to force her to drive the SS so she could see why it's so freaking fun.
I brought up a m2 while car shopping and my wife was not a fan, sounds like she had a strong opinion like your wife but for the SS She didn't like the "bmw drivers that don't use their signals", the cost, said it was not quite as fun to drive, and lastly she liked the v8 vroom sounds. I would have been happy with either one as it was going to be my daily and we went for the SS.
miketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:47 PM   #9
JK001

Drives: ZHP, Alfa 4C, RAM, X5, 17SS1LE-sold
Great review by the OP. Track focused as these cars (M and 1LE) boast about their track pedigrees. Interesting point on the brakes, I was initially impressed with the 1LE brakes but after about 2k miles I am not so much. Still adequate but just not as strong as I perceived them to be initially. I had to do a near dead stop from 80mph recently and they didn't feel as grabby...

Going back to the track, numbers only, the 1LE takes all of the M cars above, ZCP or not. But if you are ok with not having the quickest and fastest car for your money, I think any of the M2/4, not to mention the utility of the M3, would be my choice. I still like my 1LE but as it stands, barring some even better spec add ons from the factory on the next 1LE, I think I'm going to look else where even at higher price. Just my opinion
JK001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:52 PM   #10
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Great review. Besides all of that, when it comes to overall track performance BMW's track focused M4 (GTS) ties with SS 1LE stock vs stock. One is a $150k with aero, 500hp, water cooling ..etc and the other one is $45k. SS 1LE is a tremendous value and with its superior steering, handling and NA V8 and track cooling mods it's a more track capable car also even without the price gap

I had a chance to test drove my friend's 560 hp M4 (Stage 1) while it was fun to play with the DCT steering and the overall feel was more like a luxury sports car than a track car
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:14 PM   #11
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Gotta say a M4 will rape a stock SS in a straight line. They do have a lot more engine. Tuned only they are stupid fast.

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #12
WhyUMad1LE

^From a roll, it sure will as would the M5 and M6 and M SUVs as well.

At the end of the day I'm not a drag racer and just look for an all-around blend of handling, power, and refinement.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:39 PM   #13
Camaro Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketan View Post
I brought up a m2 while car shopping and my wife was not a fan, sounds like she had a strong opinion like your wife but for the SS She didn't like the "bmw drivers that don't use their signals", the cost, said it was not quite as fun to drive, and lastly she liked the v8 vroom sounds. I would have been happy with either one as it was going to be my daily and we went for the SS.
I think you pointed out where I screwed up, I drove the SS and she didn't, she didn't want to drive it but I have to insist she drive it to see how it feels to drive. Especially with the magnetic shocks and that awesome suspension, the SS separates itself from the M2 as a superior driver's car or plush riding car with the adjustable suspension.

Wife just hated the sound of the SS and I loved it immensely.

Interestingly, the extra cost bothers me more than my wife on the $12-15K extra.

On the fun, yeah for me the SS wins but I'll say the M2 would also be fun and maybe a better daily driver.