Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-30-2018, 01:07 PM   #43
ForbiddenWaffle

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE - Hyper Blue
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I'm having a problem.

I followed these instructions exactly, and now OnStar can't connect (yay!), and the compass displays as "CAL" etc.

However, I lost mic input completely, meaning that neither voice commands in my car, nor phone audio, work. When I hit the voice command button, it does not recognize any input whatsoever. Did this happen to anyone else? This is on my 2018 2SS.
ForbiddenWaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:38 PM   #44
HackSaw

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Pretty sure i saw loosing voice was mentioned somewhere
HackSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:38 AM   #45
Whatwarranty

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenWaffle View Post
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I'm having a problem.

I followed these instructions exactly, and now OnStar can't connect (yay!), and the compass displays as "CAL" etc.

However, I lost mic input completely, meaning that neither voice commands in my car, nor phone audio, work. When I hit the voice command button, it does not recognize any input whatsoever. Did this happen to anyone else? This is on my 2018 2SS.

Did you put the fuse back?
Whatwarranty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 01:21 AM   #46
MySS8U

Drives: Black 1SS 1LE
I have a silly question.. What if one just removed the fuse to onstar? what would happen? wouldn't this disable it?
Old 08-05-2018, 08:29 AM   #47
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySS8U View Post
I have a silly question.. What if one just removed the fuse to onstar? what would happen? wouldn't this disable it?
Yes but you loose bluetooth as well.

This modification gets rid of OnStar and keeps your Bluetooth.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:11 PM   #48
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Got rid of the board today, thanks for the great pictures and instructions.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver

Last edited by BlackbeastSS2; 08-14-2018 at 09:03 AM.
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:40 AM   #49
mbnwa

Drives: 18 NGM ZL1 1LE
Just did this today, remember if you had the hotspot feature turned on and your infotainment system utilizing OnStar via the hotspot (or any other devices like your mobile), disable the hotspot via the OnStar App or OnStar Website (at the very least change the SSID) before removing the modem.

The car will still broadcast the WiFi hotspot if you do not disable the feature before removing the modem.
17' Camaro 2SS A8 Vert Upgrades: Pray MSD IM/95mm TB/E85/Tune / Roto-fab CAI / GM Dark Taillights / LED Turn's with VLED Resisters / LED Reverse Lights / JWM Side Markers / Factory UQT PDR (CTS-V) / BMR DSL, MM010 / TSP 1 7/8 / Front Camera / Eyebrow Harness / Elite Engineering E2-X / AEM Wideband with Aeroforce single pod / HD Radio / OnStar Delete / RPM Roll Bar

Last edited by mbnwa; 08-12-2018 at 01:38 PM.
mbnwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:46 AM   #50
VJChevelle67
The Beast

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro Convertible
Onstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbnwa View Post
Just did this today, remember if you had the hotspot feature turned on and your infotainment system utilizing OnStar via the hotspot, disable the hotspot via the OnStar App or OnStar Website before removing the modem.

The car will still broadcast the WiFi hotspot if you do not disable the feature before removing the modem.
So are you guys saying that Onstar tracks everything we do in our cars weather we pay for the service or not and the removal is the only way to keep them out of our lives and what we do with our cars remains with us only. I would love more info if possible . Thanks for any and all info is this only in the USA collection of data for insurance only ? Can I get more info

Last edited by VJChevelle67; 08-12-2018 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Adding to comment
VJChevelle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #51
VJChevelle67
The Beast

And that means

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
There, I fixed it for ya. I totally agree that people do not realize how much data is collected THEN DISSEMINATED OUTSIDE OF GM.
Disseminated does that not mean destroyed or intrusive
Old 08-12-2018, 10:04 AM   #52
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbnwa View Post
Just did this today, remember if you had the hotspot feature turned on and your infotainment system utilizing OnStar via the hotspot, disable the hotspot via the OnStar App or OnStar Website before removing the modem.

The Wi-Fi will still be active, but it will not have any data to broadcast. It will be a dead signal, as there is no data being received through OnStar since the OnStar receiver/transmitter is removed. Sort of like a TV station that's dead air but the transmitter amplifier is still running. It's signal is still broadcast but there's nothing on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJChevelle67 View Post
So are you guys saying that Onstar tracks everything we do in our cars weather we pay for the service or not and the removal is the only way to keep them out of our lives and what we do with our cars remains with us only. I would love more info if possible . Thanks for any and all info
Yes, the capability for General Motors OnStar offices to monitor every facet of your vehicle operations, even if you opt out and cancel your subscription, is always there. As long as there's power being applied to the transceiver radio board, it can broadcast and receive data.

Now, technically, as of right now, GM does not log information other than what is used with active communications (when you send/receive a call, airbag deployment, theft tracking, remote unlocking). But, it is possible for them to do so.

In the future, it will certainly become more intrusive. GM plans to utilize OnStar for advertising revenue. They will start tracking your favorite grocery store, gas station, restaurants and other things using the GPS and seeing how many times you park near the same establishments and determining patterns. Then you'll start seeing advertisements for things like 20% off an appetizer at your favorite restaurant and 10% off gas pop up on your display screen.

In my opinion, OnStar should be completely optional. The entire system, electronics, antenna, operation, should be completely optional on every car, even a fully loaded $105,000 CTS V-Sport. Because there are people who might like it, but there are those who are getting sick of the remote intrusion into our lives. Driving a car should not be one of them. Simply opting out and not paying for the subscription is not good enough. Our cars have become rolling communications dataports.

Last edited by fastball; 08-12-2018 at 10:16 AM.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #53
VJChevelle67
The Beast

Onstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
The Wi-Fi will still be active, but it will not have any data to broadcast. It will be a dead signal, as there is no data being received through OnStar since the OnStar receiver/transmitter is removed. Sort of like a TV station that's dead air but the transmitter amplifier is still running. It's signal is still broadcast but there's nothing on it.

Yes, the capability for General Motors OnStar offices to monitor every facet of your vehicle operations, even if you opt out and cancel your subscription, is always there. As long as there's power being applied to the transceiver radio board, it can broadcast and receive data.

Now, technically, as of right now, GM does not log information other than what is used with active communications (when you send/receive a call, airbag deployment, theft tracking, remote unlocking). But, it is possible for them to do so.
Wow never looked at it this was thanks for the info.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #54
Boost or bust

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Quote:

In the future, it will certainly become more intrusive. GM plans to utilize OnStar for advertising revenue. They will start tracking your favorite grocery store, gas station, restaurants and other things using the GPS and seeing how many times you park near the same establishments and determining patterns. Then you'll start seeing advertisements for things like 20% off an appetizer at your favorite restaurant and 10% off gas pop up on your display screen.

In my opinion, OnStar should be completely optional. The entire system, electronics, antenna, operation, should be completely optional on every car, even a fully loaded $105,000 CTS V-Sport. Because there are people who might like it, but there are those who are getting sick of the remote intrusion into our lives. Driving a car should not be one of them. Simply opting out and not paying for the subscription is not good enough. Our cars have become rolling communications dataports.
Exactly. They are monetizing our data and not giving us a choice to opt out of it . As bad or worse than Facebook itself .
Boost or bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #55
mbnwa

Quote:
I'm aware of that, however I set my SSID to the same SSID I use in my RV so when I was in the Camaro my other devices would connect to the WiFi without having to utilize a new SSID. If you fail to disable HotSpot in the OnStar app or at the very least change the SSID before you pull the modem your devices will connect to a network that has no data connection.

My suggestion was strictly to remind folks that might have used the WiFi hotspot feature to disable it to ensure other devices remain connected to other networks like cellular without latching on to the OnStar WiFi system.
17' Camaro 2SS A8 Vert Upgrades: Pray MSD IM/95mm TB/E85/Tune / Roto-fab CAI / GM Dark Taillights / LED Turn's with VLED Resisters / LED Reverse Lights / JWM Side Markers / Factory UQT PDR (CTS-V) / BMR DSL, MM010 / TSP 1 7/8 / Front Camera / Eyebrow Harness / Elite Engineering E2-X / AEM Wideband with Aeroforce single pod / HD Radio / OnStar Delete / RPM Roll Bar
Old 08-12-2018, 01:26 PM   #56
mbnwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJChevelle67 View Post
So are you guys saying that Onstar tracks everything we do in our cars weather we pay for the service or not and the removal is the only way to keep them out of our lives and what we do with our cars remains with us only. I would love more info if possible . Thanks for any and all info is this only in the USA collection of data for insurance only ? Can I get more info
Here is another reason, while GM states the issue has been resolved (after 5 years of them knowing about it) and as someone who works in this field, anything that is a connected device can be hacked and controlled remotely. I seriously doubt that GM has fixed all the backdoors into the system, check out the 60 min's video that's in the below link very interesting stuff.

GM TOOK 5 YEARS TO FIX A FULL-TAKEOVER HACK IN MILLIONS OF ONSTAR CARS

Below is some of what they collect based on the privacy agreement:

Information about the use of your vehicle, including operational and safety related information: such as GPS location, speed, air bag deployments, crash avoidance alerts, impact data, safety system status, braking and swerving/cornering events, event data recorder (EDR) data, seat belt settings, vehicle direction (heading), camera image and sensor data, voice command information, stability control or anti-lock events, security/theft alerts, infotainment system usage, and WiFi data usage.

Information about your device and how you interact with our products and services, including apps and websites: such as IP address, browser type, unique device identifier, cookie data, associated identifying and usage information from your mobile phone, laptop, or other device.

Last edited by mbnwa; 08-12-2018 at 01:59 PM.