Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-26-2017, 10:17 AM   #85
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Wise choice sir ^^
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:15 AM   #86
TrackClub

Went back and tested 3 modes now that I feel pretty comfy with the car. Here's my impressions:

PTM Sport 1: seems the safest choice, as it retains both the Stabilitrak and TC, but at an expense of some pace IMO. The car felt a bit restricted on both rotation and exits in comparison to the next 2.
But one can still drive the car very fast in this mode - just proly not as fast the the next two.

Comp Mode (Track mode then press TC once): retains Stabilitrak but shuts off TC - it was faster than the one above and felt a lot less restrictive but one needs to modulate power on exits as 100% is available. The car still felt somewhat restricted on rotation, but overall pace was faster. Note the rear feels looser as you have access to full power with your foot. Since the car has good torque, it can overcome Stabilitrak easily and wag the tail (and/or spin) if you decide to drive it like a hooligan.
This mode is an old "advanced" nanny mode, before GM introduced PTM and is defo more "advanced" than PTM Sport 1 (IMO).

PTM Race - No Stabilitrak but TC remains on, albeit in the least restrictive fashion as compared to Sport 1 or 2. The car rotates in a fantastic fashion and is easily modulated with throttle. But if you over do it there is no Stabilitrak to save the day. Exits feel very composed yet fast, as TC works in concerts with E-LSD in very seamless fashion. This is the fastest mode save for "all off" (albeit GM Engineers will argue Race is faster if used properly - see my OP), but one has to have knowledge and experience regarding proper "weight transfer" principles (balance/traction) as the rear will come around if you don't, or make a mistake and unbalance a car.
No, miracles don't happen and trying to corner on 1 front wheel will always result in a spin

Use at own risk, read the official manual, get proper instruction, etc. Results may vary based on a driver, type of track, etc. When in doubt, turn nannies up: it is no fun going home on a flat bed. Cheers!

EDIT: cleaned up original post

Last edited by TrackClub; 06-29-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:34 AM   #87
TrackClub

updated my OP with PTM info as presented by GM engineers, for each mode. VERY informative and must read, including how to properly use steering angles to get most out of the PTM Race setting (especially valuable to those that may experience push/understeer on exits - wink, wink, nudge, nudge )
Old 06-29-2017, 12:00 PM   #88
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
One must wonder, for how optimized PTM Race is for the given tire, how might a stickier tire affect its functionality.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:25 PM   #89
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
One must wonder, for how optimized PTM Race is for the given tire, how might a stickier tire affect its functionality.
very good question. I believe the PTM can read the slip angles, so I think its function may very well be tire agnostic and it may just care about slip angles.
same principles would still apply tho re steering angles to "feed" info to PTM re power distribution vs slip angles allowed. which should translate to faster pace.
guessing tho
Old 07-10-2017, 10:47 AM   #90
Rafal

Drives: Sold - Krypton Green 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
The only thing I would think you can optimize for a tire is a spring rate. Grip changes all the time even with the same tire like between a green track after a downpur and fully rubbered in after some competition a day before.
Rafal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:29 PM   #91
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
very good question. I believe the PTM can read the slip angles, so I think its function may very well be tire agnostic and it may just care about slip angles.
same principles would still apply tho re steering angles to "feed" info to PTM re power distribution vs slip angles allowed. which should translate to faster pace.
guessing tho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafal View Post
The only thing I would think you can optimize for a tire is a spring rate. Grip changes all the time even with the same tire like between a green track after a downpur and fully rubbered in after some competition a day before.
I don't think the tire has as big of an effect as most are thinking. One of the fastest C7 Z06's at the last national level SCCA event was running on non stock tires and he was running in RACE mode PTM! He won the SS class over some very stiff competition including several C7 Grand Sports and the new Acura NSX.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:59 PM   #92
TrackClub

Ya I don't think tire type has much effect on PTM or Comp Mode as they work based on yaw/slip angles and traction levels as far as I can tell. So clearly a stickier tire will simply produce more pace.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:29 AM   #93
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
More infor on eLSD modes

Quote:
eLSD Modes

eLSD modes change automatically when the traction control button is pressed as follows:

– Mode 1: The standard mode when the vehicle is started. Emphasis is on vehicle stability. Also used in PTM wet mode.
– Mode 2: Engaged when both TCS and StabiliTrak® are turned OFF. Provides more nimble corner turn-in, and is biased for better traction out of corners.
– Mode 3: Engaged when PTM is engaged in Dry, Sport 1 & 2 and Race Modes. Nimble calibration with similar functionality as eLSD Mode 2, however it is integrated to work with PTM.
– Mode 4: Engaged when TCS is selected OFF, but StabiliTrak® remains ON. Vehicle stability is still the priority, while allowing for optimized traction out of corners.

eLSD and Wheel Slip

The upper eLSD display indicates the eLSD clutch locking percentage. The lower wheel slip display indicates the rear tire slip compared to the speed of the front tires.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:43 PM   #94
TrackClub

Thanks for posting these. The same info is in the manual but good to have it all together nevertheless. Cheers!
Old 08-30-2017, 07:41 PM   #95
TrackClub

cleaned up and updated by OP. my thanks to SeanBlurr for "motivating" me via another thread
Old 09-02-2017, 06:31 AM   #96
JayhawkSS1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
With all the options and combinations what is the best to use to achieve the best 0-60 times? lol.
Turning all the nannies off (hold for 5ish seconds) allows for to much wheel spin. So I am assuming using launch control with Sport1 or Sport2 or Race?

Suggestions?
Old 09-02-2017, 06:54 AM   #97
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkSS1LE View Post
With all the options and combinations what is the best to use to achieve the best 0-60 times? lol.
Turning all the nannies off (hold for 5ish seconds) allows for to much wheel spin. So I am assuming using launch control with Sport1 or Sport2 or Race?

Suggestions?
See post #4 (PTM table) which indicates that to get launch control in a "drag strip" you must be in PTM Race.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:08 AM   #98
TrackClub

Added PTM table to OP so all the info is all together now.