Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-29-2013, 04:33 AM   #1
shaky bones

Drives: Nissan S15 Silvia
Moving To The US, Considering Buying A Camaro

First of all a big G'day down from down under, I hope you all are enjoying your winter. I'd also like to apologise that while I am no stranger to forums I probably will be asking a few noob questions and although I've been scrolling through this wicked site for the best part of two weeks now I still have many questions.

So I'm going to be moving to the US in early 2014, Florida to be exact. And as someone who has only ever seen 2 Camaros in the flesh and 4 Mustangs (modern ones) in the flesh (never seen a Challenger) it certainly is a bit of a dream to own a American muscle car.

So I'm really just looking for a bit of advice on what is the best way to go about it. I can afford a new 2014 with all the options I want (2SS, RS, 1LE, NPP, Moonroof, nav and Recaros) but according to truecar Its going to cost around 44k or so on road. Which according to the prices some of you guys are quoting for late model second hand Camaros seems rather high. Do you find better value in the second hand market? Obviously every dollar I save I can spend on mods so is new the best way if you can afford or can big savings be found in low mileage second hand cars?

So first of all is Truecar accurate as the discounts from MSRP are pretty significant?

Is the 1LE package worth it? as I would like to lower it and put 22s on it making the wheels worthless - but i suppose I could always sell them.

Anyone on here have the recaros? Yes they look awesome but are they comfortable and worth the 2k over stock seats?

Is the bimodal exhaust (NPP I think its called) just as good as a aftermarket exhaust like say a magnaflow axleback or American Thunder? Or am I better off getting a stock exhaust and putting a good aftermarket axle back system. The idea of it being quiet off throttle is very appealing for highway cruising, but would I have better power and performance going aftermarket?

are CAI (cold air intakes) worth their money and do they really increase horse power. I'm coming from Japanese turbo cars (S15 Silvia to be exact) where CAIs are a waste of money as the turbo is way hotter than engine bay temps and your massive Intercooler brings temps down anyway.

At 44k the car is getting i bit expensive, and I have considered scrapping the sunroof, But I've heard the Camaro is a lot like a dark cave. And a sunroof would be really nice florida, But honestly what are these like, are they a must option?

What is the second hand market like? Should I go new or are you better off going second hand? Here in Australia cars are expensive. ZL1s are almost $130 000. And what you will be calling the Chev SS ours start at $70 000 and go to $100 000 for the 1LT motor. So buying second hand is very common in fact most people laugh at people who buy new.

I know I've written an essay, and I've probably asked questions everyone gets a lot. But obviously I'd like to buy a camaro once and do it right be it new or second hand. So just some info from people who live with them everyday would be fantastic. Cheers.

Some additional info the car will be my daily driver. But I will be working from home so it really will be just grocery car and toy.

Last edited by shaky bones; 12-29-2013 at 04:45 AM.
shaky bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:59 AM   #2
shaky bones

I suppose one other thing also. Here in Australia it is almost unheard of for new cars especially to be sold without floor mats and darkest legal window tint for free. What is it like the US? should I only expect it on high end cars like a BMW or do Chevrolet dealers typically throw that in too?
Old 12-29-2013, 05:33 AM   #3
daspes

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 2SS/RS Camaro 1LE
Moving To The US, Considering Buying A Camaro

First, Welcome! What part of Florida?

Next the easy answers.

Tint. Some dealers will install, but you'll pay half the price and usually for a better product if you just take it down the street to a tint shop and have it done yourself.

Floor mats. The Camaro comes with them, they're just cheap that's all. They get the job done but aren't pretty like a set of Lloyd's or as functional as WeatherTech's.

Now pretty much the rest of your questions really come down to your personal preference and opinion. Sunroofs are nice, I chose not to get one because it changes the lines of the roof. 2SS for me was a requirement just for the leather and HUD. Recaro's are very comfortable. But with the microfiber suede I just couldn't do them. Have a three year old in the car sometimes and leather is so much easier to care for and clean.

The 1LE package IMO was a night and day difference in ride quality. After test driving it back to back with a 2SS, there was no way I would have been happy with out going with the 1LE.

Wheels... Personal opinion what ever you get. Though the 1LE wheels are great looking and light weight. If I would switch them out I would go for 17-19's before 22's. But that's me.

Lastly don't pay to much attention to MSRP. My 14 1LE 2SS RS with Nav and NPP a stickered at 43, out the door after tax title and tags I was at 39. Of course going used you'll get more bang for the buck, though you most likely won't be able to find your full wish list going that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Red Hot 2SS 1LE, SP LT headers and HF Cats, CAI intake, lots little crap here and there.

2005 Laguna Blue Matte GTO, RMR CF body Kit, Banshee hood, OBX LT headers, HF Cats, Vararam OTR intake, little crap on this ride too.
daspes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
shaky bones

Thanks loads for the info, that really helps a lot. I've been on and off the 1LE since I heard about it, one day it is a must have the next I dont want it. i really like the wheels but after seeing BreedsAS's camaro that thing is just perfection imo.

Interesting what you say about MSRP, is it true that in the US you pay more if you pay cash for the car? A buddy of mine in Tampa bought a Challenger and the dealer wouldn't really negotiate unless he was going to finance it. Being a toy I'm certainly going to pay cash for it so I'm concerned this will hurt my negotiations.

The price you have there for your options is VERY appealing, assuming I scrap the sunroof (dont want to spoil the lines) the only thing your missing is the recaros and at 1800 that brings it under 41k which is mouth watering good. Did you buy yours off the lot or order it?

As far as where I'm moving I haven't totally decided yet as I will be working from home it really doesn't matter. I was looking at Orlando but heard it was a bit of a hood. So I'm probably going to settle in Miami even though it will probably send me broke. I was going to make a post in the Florida sub forum on just this topic. I've heard Fort Lauderdale is pretty nice too. Anyway this is too off topic.

Back on topic is there anything that one should watch out for with these cars. I'm pretty familiar with LS motors as my dad has owned a variety of HSVs over the years and I have some experience playing around with them. But as far as fit and finish are they pretty good/reliable?

Also I'm buying a Jetski, a 1LE camaro wouldn't have any problems suspension wise pulling a Jetski would it?
Old 12-29-2013, 06:32 AM   #5
Pi kappa alpha

Drives: SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaky bones View Post
Thanks loads for the info, that really helps a lot. I've been on and off the 1LE since I heard about it, one day it is a must have the next I dont want it. i really like the wheels but after seeing BreedsAS's camaro that thing is just perfection imo.

Interesting what you say about MSRP, is it true that in the US you pay more if you pay cash for the car? A buddy of mine in Tampa bought a Challenger and the dealer wouldn't really negotiate unless he was going to finance it. Being a toy I'm certainly going to pay cash for it so I'm concerned this will hurt my negotiations.

The price you have there for your options is VERY appealing, assuming I scrap the sunroof (dont want to spoil the lines) the only thing your missing is the recaros and at 1800 that brings it under 41k which is mouth watering good. Did you buy yours off the lot or order it?

As far as where I'm moving I haven't totally decided yet as I will be working from home it really doesn't matter. I was looking at Orlando but heard it was a bit of a hood. So I'm probably going to settle in Miami even though it will probably send me broke. I was going to make a post in the Florida sub forum on just this topic. I've heard Fort Lauderdale is pretty nice too. Anyway this is too off topic.

Back on topic is there anything that one should watch out for with these cars. I'm pretty familiar with LS motors as my dad has owned a variety of HSVs over the years and I have some experience playing around with them. But as far as fit and finish are they pretty good/reliable?

Also I'm buying a Jetski, a 1LE camaro wouldn't have any problems suspension wise pulling a Jetski would it?
Well, this is a Camaro forum so 99% of the people here will say the Camaro is reliable. You'd have to go to an unbiased source for another opinion. And you should probably edit out that jetski part. People are going to flame you for that to no end
Old 12-29-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
shaky bones

haha why? Jetskis (PWCs) are mad fun. Or is it sacrilege to fit a trailer hitch to a Camaro? I would of course get a hidden one I can take off when I'm not towing the ski around. I certainly wouldn't want to ruin the look of the car. Although trailer hitches (tow bars in Aust) are the single best thing to have if someone runs up your arse (but yes I'd remove it after every use). Something like the Etrailer one looks very subtle.

I would assume being a chev they would be reliable, I was more inquiring about niggling issues and common problems. From what I've read a catch can is almost a requirement.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
Pi kappa alpha

Drives: SS Vert
Quote:
haha why? Jetskis (PWCs) are mad fun. Or is it sacrilege to fit a trailer hitch to a Camaro? I would of course get a hidden one I can take off when I'm not towing the ski around. I certainly wouldn't want to ruin the look of the car. Although trailer hitches (tow bars in Aust) are the single best thing to have if someone runs up your arse (but yes I'd remove it after every use). Something like the Etrailer one looks very subtle.

I would assume being a chev they would be reliable, I was more inquiring about niggling issues and common problems. From what I've read a catch can is almost a requirement.
Don't say I didn't warn you. Haha http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97533
Old 12-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #8
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:

You get hitch to tow the skis around
And before you know you will be towing ,lumber , cement mixer , bobcats , roofing materials , landscaping goods & your fishing boat

Yes it's Sacrilege , it's a slipering slop
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #9
pocketcthulhu

Drives: 2014 2ss/RS 5th gen Camaro #2
Quote:
are CAI (cold air intakes) worth their money and do they really increase horse power. I'm coming from Japanese turbo cars (S15 Silvia to be exact) where CAIs are a waste of money as the turbo is way hotter than engine bay temps and your massive Intercooler brings temps down anyway.

Some additional info the car will be my daily driver. But I will be working from home so it really will be just grocery car and toy.
most turbos I've seen have a cai built in just fyi. Now there's a lot of back and forth over cai's giving or possibly lowering horsepower and I'm not planning on getting into that but the #1 reason is the improved sound #2 Might get some Hp gains out of it #3 cleans up the look of the engine bay, I can't be the only one that thinks the stock airbox looks like

I can attest to the Camaro being a great daily driver for what you're looking at, I do something similar myself.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #10
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Welcome and what part of Florida. We have enough camaros rolling around you should be able to look at plenty on the dealer lot and members personal rides to see what you like.

Also, dont pay the MSRP/sticker price. You can get a much better deal if you try and negotiate
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #11
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
The price your quoting is for a new car, and most people prefer the 10-13 look of the Camaro and buying used should save you a bunch, finding the dual mode option on a used one might be hard in whatever color you prefer though with the other specific options you have in mind. Just keep in mind Cash talks, I have seen by cruising autotrader.com a used zl1 for as low as 47k. There are people here who have retro fitted a tow hitch on the back, and I may do the same some day but they of course do not take a lot of hitch weight. The sunroof is nice, and it does not take away form the lines of the car. The 1le option is a good value, yet where I am in Oregon I would have to swap out the tires as they cannot stand the cold weather below freezing as much as the Pirellis do as they are super stick track tires and getting a optional tire to replace them is very limited in selection at that fat width for all season or winter. I know you say oh driving I need the 3.91 gear and yes it will make the engine rev more faster yet also cost you in gas mileage some, and the other things the 1le has such as the wrapped hood can be removed. Some desire you expressed to go to a 22" rim is not most likely going to be realized as the high price of a set of tires and wheels will blow your budget out the window. The stock seats are comfortable and as of the 2013 model both power with improved bolstering and what I have heard of the recardos not worth 2k and not that comfortable. Window tinting can be done to the legal amount a state says it can be, and is rated on the internet for a state specific break down you can do a web search most state are like 35% of light getting through.
Good luck, If I were you I would look for a used 2013 with the npp exhaust in the color you like, and 1le if available. Yes the exhaust is great compared to the stock exhaust, and yes CAIs do help and gain about 15hp but you have to get a real CAI CAI that is my choice I am sure the rotofabs etc are nice, I prefer the CAI with the optional scoop to bring in air from the lower front grill and relocate of the windshield washer tank.. all for $500 from apex a vendor here on camaro5, also I did a addition to add a separate clutch reservoir from a holden g.t. I got from diygen5.com a do it yourself mod place online to help us. And I can attest it does help keeping the fluid separate though they both discolor ( shared brake and clutch reservoir), for you a must I would recommend would be the oil catch can as it works and saves from ingestion of oil into the intake track as the Camaro has just a really short route for the PCV blow by.... on the ls3 engine.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #12
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Actually having cash to buy the car puts you in the drivers seat negotiating price cause then all you have to say is this is what I want to pay for said car and you can walk if they don't wanna do your deal but you do have to be reasonable though they aren't gonna take off 5 to 6 grand off a new car. And do research what people are paying for in that area and find out the invoice prices of most cars and work up from that price not down from the msrp.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #13
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Anybody who doesn't want to do business with someone who wants to pay cash is a fool. If you got cash, money talks, bullshit walks. There are so many dealerships in Florida, if you don't have one catering to your every wish, walk away.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #14
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
My advice would be to buy a used ZL1. That's where the real bargains are. You can have a clean low mile ZL1 for the kind of money that you're talking about. I've seen them advertised for as low as $42,990. You probably buy this car for between 40 and 42k.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...Index=24&Log=0

And all ZL1s have NPP.
And it has a sunroof!

Here's some more ZL1s for under 45k asking price.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...Index=25&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=1&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=3&Log=0
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.

Last edited by Rocky1974; 12-29-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote